[OH3] Install & Set-up OpenWeatherMap via UI

Thanks for your detailed howto @RGroll,
With the 7 days & 25h setting you screenshotted above this added 666 items to my config :slight_smile: Whoop, whoop!
My Chrome alerted like 3 times about unresponsiveness until the the “Select all” finished up.

I guess these are a “few” items too much. Do you have a recommendation on the day & hour settings. I just want to add your awesome Weather widget from the other thread.
Thanks much for your efforts!

Hey @waitz_sebastian
Thanks for your feedback and the kind words!

And yes, my browser alerted me too and I think if I’ve done this on a slower machine the consequences of this load may be even harder.

The OWM binding is a veeery channel-heavy binding, other bindings are much more ‘lightweight’ - but I think it’s worth the hardware-effort, having the possibility to show a 24 hour-forecast :smiley:

Everyone should adjust these values to their needs and might save some items (and system-load) on the way :slight_smile:

I personally like the 24-hour / 7-days forecast - For all widgets to work as intended, you need 13 hours and 4 days for all type of weather-widgets that are available. If you aim to use the standard weather_Popup without the extended feature-set, you could get rid of the hourly-forecast completely and set your days-forecast to 4 (today + 3 days forecast)

I’ll post a new version in the next hours, which brings some more possibilities in terms of styling and size (but not regarding the needed items tbh :stuck_out_tongue:)

Hello,
I add onecallapi to be a le to display precipitation hourly forecast in weather widget but values are Null.
Some known fix or test to do?

• What is the item-state in the item-overview of OH (http://YOUR-OH-IP:8080/#!/settings/items/)
  • Do you used the widgets from the linked thread or built your own one? If you used the linked widgets, did you set up the itemPrefix?

MMhhh after one reboot all seems OK.

The new “collapsable” widget is beautyful.

Thank you and sorry for disturb

Glad to hear!

Thank you! And no problem - If i don’t have time or passion to answer I just wouldn’t do it - so don’t hesitate to ask, if you get stuck. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi Rainer,

I read this tutorial, but I can not get this wifget to run.
I copied the text from github and integrated the items over the ui approach.
I used all items from OneCallApi Weather and Forecast.
On all these items I can see Values.

The I create the Widget with the help of the ui, and copied the text from git(WeatherCard)
inside the windwow. I just changed the two parts you mentioned.

uid: weatherCard
tags:

• allInOne
  • weather
  • expandable
  • OpenWeatherMap
  • daily forecast
  • hourly forecast
    props:
    parameters:
    • description: Optional prefix for item names
      label: OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_
      name: OneCallAPIweatherandforecast_
      required: false
      type: TEXT
      groupName: general
    • description: Additional prefix for item names that belongs to another Things channel (valid for ‘StationName’ as it might differ)
      label: Localweatherandforecast_
      name: Localweatherandforecast_
      required: false

The rest stays untouched.

On one of my pages I can see the widget but with no valid content.
Do you ore someone has a tip?

Hey @Gthorsten,

you don’t have to change the widget code itself. The settings I mentioned are for inside the widget configuration.

Just copy the code from github into the widget editor and click Save. After that, go to the page where you want to add the widget to and click Edit on the top right corner and add the widget into a column. - Tap the black icon on the top right of the added widget and select Configure Widget. (see here for a bit more info on that)

Hope it helps!

Hi Rainer,
Thanks for this tip. I will try it later and answer you.
Best regards
Thorsten

Hi Rainer,

thanks this works perfect.
Best regards
Thorsten

1 Like

Hello Rainer,

when I want to add “One Call API weather and forecast” as item, I get the following errors:

2021-02-02 02:57:35.677 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Sonstiges_ForecastDay2_Apparentday.rrd': Invalid file header. File [/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Sonstiges_ForecastDay2_Apparentday.rrd] is not a RRD4J RRD file

2021-02-02 02:57:35.802 [ERROR] [d4j.internal.RRD4jPersistenceService] - Could not create rrd4j database file '/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Sonstiges_ForecastDay5_Cloudiness.rrd': Invalid file header. File [/var/lib/openhab/persistence/rrd4j/Sonstiges_ForecastDay5_Cloudiness.rrd] is not a RRD4J RRD file

Hi @Domifant and welcome to the community

I’ve never seen this error, but I don’t think it is specific for the items that you’ve created here.

A similar problem was discussed here and might help you…

1 Like

Thank you very much.

Hi @RGroll , Thank you for this guide. It was very helpfull.

1 Like

Thanks for the great tutorial. I am almost there, just missing some details

I have studied the items and found out that I am missing the condition-id and icon-id in the list. They also don’t show up in unconnected channel list. In the binding documentation I see the word advanced behind these items, but can not find if it means that I have to do something additional. Can you point me in the right direction ?

they show up if you click on:

If they dont show in the widget, the question is though if you have configured them yet.

Thanks ! That did the trick. It feels stupid I overlooked that checkbox :frowning: GREAT ! Widget

Actually, that’ll be great to have a step-by-step guide for “idiots” like me to understand how and where to insert the discussed yaml code. I’m stuck exactly at the moment of doing it. tried to add a label card to page and then insert yaml code to the card’s “edit yaml” window - no result. Please, give me a hint to move on :slight_smile:
UPD: Some things became clear for me. I’d like to offer to add some directions like:

1. Create custom widget in developer tools>widgets
  2. insert the “discussed” yaml code there and save
  3. add widget to a page layout and configure widget options

these 3 points, that obviously were clear to others, made me stumble for 3 days

Hi,
Maybe someone experienced the same problem… OpenWeatherMap binding in Version 3.2.0.
I’ve created bridge (many times for tests) - its online.
If I only create any additional thing (or all discovered) - OpenWeatherMap Account is going offline and other things gets error:
COMMUNICATION_ERROR

javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: Unexpected error: java.security.InvalidAlgorithmParameterException: the trustAnchors parameter must be non-empty

I have the same configuration working on OpenHab 2.5 - have no idea why it doesnt work on oh3 :frowning:

Hallo, irgendwie sehe ich scheinbar den Wald vor lauter Bäumen nicht.
Mein Wetter Thing sieht so aus
UID: openweathermap:weather-and-forecast:OpenWeatherMap_Konto:local
label: Lokales Wetter und Wettervorhersage
thingTypeUID: openweathermap:weather-and-forecast
configuration:
forecastDays: 0
forecastHours: 24
bridgeUID: openweathermap:weather-api:OpenWeatherMap_Konto
channels:

Ein Channel sieht so aus
S
Station-ID
Lokales Wetter und Wettervorhersage
openweathermap:weather-and-forecast:OpenWeatherMap_Konto:local:station#id (String)

Ich nehme daher den Prefix weather-and-forecast_

Leider passiert gar nichts.
Was ist mein Fehler
Vielen Dank