OH3 KNX Temperature

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Intel i3 Qemu VM
    • Java Runtime Environment: Zulu11.45+27-CA (build 11.0.10+9-LTS)
    • openHAB version: 3.01
  • Issue of the topic: I want to read the Temperature from a KNX devide.
    I configured the Item as follows:
    Item Type = Number

Semantic Classification:
class Point_Measurement
relatesTo Property_Temperature

• If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
    2021-03-05 07:01:32.232 [INFO ] [g.knx.internal.dpt.KNXCoreTypeMapper] - Translator couldn’t parse data for datapoint type ‘16.001’ (KNXIllegalArgumentException).
    2021-03-05 07:01:32.232 [WARN ] [.internal.handler.DeviceThingHandler] - Ignoring KNX bus data: couldn’t transform to any Type (destination=‘3/3/0’, datapoint=‘command DP 3/3/0 ‘knx:device:88104d3237:Triton_Schlafzimmer_DG’, DPT id 16.001, low priority’, data=‘0x18C2’)

What’s the propblem?

Best regards
Thomas

This would be ok for a temperature. You could also add the metadata to have the item the number:temperature type.

Here is your problem. You use, either willingly or accidently the data point type 16.001, which is an ASCII text with up to 14 characters in the ISO 8859 character encoding. If you do not have the data point type specification, here is short draft of this data point type:

So I guess your KNX device transmits a string on that object that cannot be parsed as a number, which is your required item type.

I guess you have at least three options here:

1. Consult the handbook of your KNX device and look for another KNX object that can deliver a temperature as a number. Suitable data point types would be 9.001 or 14.068.
  2. Find out, what format the string has and add a custom transformation, if the string contains the temperature.
  3. Use a text item.

Hopes this helps.

Hello Frank,
thank you for your reply.
I found the problem. The channel type must be set to Number Control:
channelTypeUID: knx:number-control

Best regards Thomas