OH3 Main UI - Link Channel to Items - Not all Items and no Channels are displayed

Hi Community,

i have upgraded (via openhabian-config->[40]->[41]) from 3.2 to 3.4.4 without any noticeable problem.

Now, i recognize that in Main UI i no longer receive a complete list of items to which i like to link a channel to. Only a list of 7 items is shown - in total i have 259 items.

If i go the oppsite way and open the item first and click on “Add link” i can choose the corresponding Thing but no channels are displayed for it.
This behaviour seems to be apparent for any other Thing i try.

All this has worked before, since i used only the UI for all my links which are currently in place.
The link i need to add now was in principle there before, but due to a re-inclusion of a zwave device i need to re-link the items to a new Thing (new node ID).

All my configurations a re done via Main UI (Items, Link, Thing) except the rules.

My OH3 installation that time back was a complete new installation, just in case that is of interest.

Does anybody know what the problem can be or can support me in narrow further down the cause of this behaviour?

Thanks a lot
BR Henning

Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 Model B Rev 1.4/2GB/SSD 230 GB
OS: Raspbian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) / Linux 5.10.63-v7l+
Java Runtime Environment:
openjdk version “11.0.9” 2020-10-20 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.43+88-CA (build 11.0.9+11-LTS)
OpenJDK Client VM Zulu11.43+88-CA (build 11.0.9+11-LTS, mixed mode)
openHAB version: 3.4.4 Release Build

Did you click nearer the arrow? I have noticed one side only give the sematic model items, but the other gives all the items.
Channel link

Dear Bob,
i have clicked on the right side there where the arrow is. The first picture above shows the outcome and i cannot see all my items (only 7 of them).
Cheers and thanks
Henning

If the Channel has a type I think it will only show Items of that type. For example, if the Channel is a switch type Channel, when you go to link it it will only show the Switch Items. It think this changed in OH 4 though as you can use a profile to change the state before it gets to the Item and therefore change the type of Item that the Channel can be linked to.

Do you see a pattern here that fits that description in the Items that it lists?

Dear Rich,

that is true, the 7 items listed are of the type Contact like the Channel is. Consequently the other way arround, the item i like to link to is of the type DateTime and therfore no channels are shown.
Sorry for obviously not trieng enough :slight_smile:

You have answered my original question, but leaves me with the problem that i cannot link the DateTime item to a non matching channel. Yes i did this via Profile, to do the transformation. Here is an example of a other ZWAVE device, where the link is still in place:
Thing - Channel:

Details Link:

Do you know how i can achieve this again for any new links i like to add?

Just to clarify, you wrote that you guess that this has changed for OH4 but i’m running on 3.4.4 Release.

Thanks a lot
BR
Henning

There is probably a more elegant way, but I recall having a similar issue some time back (I have a datetime item on every zwave battery channel). I believe I used the “create new item” to set up the datetime and then deleted the old datetime item that was no longer linked to anything.

The only ways I can think of to make it work include:

• upgrade to 4
  • link it to a Contact Item, set up the profile then change the type of the Item to a DateTime (you can change it’s type, just not it’s name) (I think this is a variation of @apella12 's recommendation)
  • add the Link through the API Explorer
  • define this Item through text files

alright, i changed my existing item first to type Contact linked it to the first Channel and then changed to type Number for the second channel. Finally it was set back to DateTime to be able to apply the Profile. :smile:
Not a direct path but a solution! Thanks Rich and Bob for your help. Cheers Henning