OH3 Move from Windows10 to Raspbian

Hi,
Is there a clean way to move an op3 installation with all settings to raspian? The backup function is not working.
I don’t understand what has to be copied. Which folder and file ind which directory. Is there an overview? I don’t want to create everything new (~400 items.)

Thanks a lot

The backup function should work so you need to further explore that problem. What is not working? How is it not working? How do you know it’s not working? How are you calling it?

HI,
I have tried the backup function 3 times. And it just did not work. Under Windows it zips differently either, like under Raspbian. Under Raspbian, the recovery function (as reported in other posts) says it can’t unzip the zip file because of a “backslash” problem.
The problem with zipping under windows and unzipping under Linux is a known problem. And can be quickly researched.
I suppose the way between windows and Linux has not been tested.

For this reason, it would be good to know which files and directories to copy where.

Thanks a lot

Well, you can open the zip file on Windows. So look in it and see what there and you’ll have a much more comprehensive and complete answer to your question than we could provide here on a forum post.

Other things you can do:

• unzip it on Windows and use 7zip or some other tool that will generate compatible zip files
  • unzip it on Windows, transfer the files and folders themselves, then rezip it on Linux
  • unzip i on Windows, transfer the files and folders themselves, then place them into the ultimate destination which should be apparent based on the directories. The stuff under conf goes to /etc/openhab and the stuff under userdata goes to /var/lib/openhab
2 Likes

Okay, now i had time to test it:

Proposal 3:

• unzip i on Windows, transfer the files and folders themselves, then place them into the ultimate destination which should be apparent based on the directories. The stuff under conf goes to /etc/openhab and the stuff under userdata goes to /var/lib/openhab

Not working, No things, No items after restart on Raspbian

Proposal 2:

• unzip it on Windows, transfer the files and folders themselves, then rezip it on Linux

also not working, looks good for unzipping, but then i get the message:
“Backup was not created by openhabscripts, please resort to manual restore…”

Any other ideas ?

thanks a lot and a nice weekend

Any message in the openhab.log file ?
Not sure if this could be a problem here - windows and linux use different line wrapping.
Run

file YourThingFile

on one of your thing files. If it shows

ASCII text, with CRLF line terminators

it has windows style CRLF in it.
If it shows

ASCII text

it has linux style in it.
To go from windows to linux style use

dos2unix YourThingFile

Then all I can really suggest is that you didn’t actually put the files in the right locations or there is something wrong with the files. Logs will tell you if there is something wrong with the files.