OH3 - Moving ZWave-Network from FHEM

Hello to the forum,
I set up an openHAB3-server on a virtual “Linux Mint (64 bit)” machine because I want to migrate from my FHEM 6.0 home automation (running in a virtual machine as well and on the same host as the openHAb3 virtual machine) to openHAB3.
For now I managed to integrate my Philips hue devices as well as Netatmo weather station and Logitech Harmony Hub.
Next step is to move my Z-Wave installation - as easy as possible. My thoughts were:

• assign the ZME-UZB1 stick to the openHAB3 virtual machine
  • add the Z-Wave stick via the Z-Wave binding and and set it up with the same parameters as in the FHEM installation (e.g. security key)
  • scan for new Z-Wave devices to get those stored in the Z-Wave stick
    I tried this and it works - partial, because I only get enties like “Z-Wave Node 002 (zwave.device)”. Those node numbers are the same as in FHEM, but scanning in openHAB3 doesn’t reveal the device type (e.g. FGRGBW-442 RGBW Controller 2).
    So my question is:
    Is there a way to apply these information manually to each discovered node so that I can use the channels of the devices? Or do I really have to exclude and reinclude every device to have them work properly?

Regards

Ansgar

If you have no secure Z-Zwave devices just put the old stick into the OH3 system and define the controller. The devices will be discovered and can be added and fully discovered if in the device database.

If a device is not in the community maintained database it can be added.

Hi Bruce,

thanks for the immediate answer. But I used secure inclusion. So following your answer, my secure included devices won’t be discovered correctly. Am I right?

Regards

Ansgar

At least in OH the security key is stored in the binding, not on the controller. @chris or @5iver may be able to explain further.

Ok. But I set the security key in the controllers properties as I had it in FHEM. So to my mind it should work in openHAB3 as well…

Security is ALWAYS implemented in the host - not the controller. The binding doesn’t read this from the controller as it’s not always set there so you must set it in OH.

Note that it isn’t actually stored in the binding - it’s stored in OH.

1 Like

Correct.

UPS!
I made a mistake :grimacing: and can confirm that it works as simple as I thought. I hadn’t input the last character of the security code and after correcting this all devices are shown correctly when online.
There are still some “Z-Wave Node 0xx (zwave.device)” devices but they are smoke detector reporting their state once a day. So I hope and think that they will show up correctly after the next report…
But thanks for help - and maybe this topic will help others migrating from FHEM to openHAB3.

Regards

Ansgar

2 Likes

Battery operated devices need to be woken up until they respond to the NIF request I do not know if this would happen during a regular wakeup.

Is there a way to send wakeup and NIF requests manually in openHAB3?

You need to read the device manual. There is normally a button that you will need to press on the device. It is not related to openHAB.

1 Like

Searching our device database and looking in the manuals may be helpful.