OH3 openHAB Cloud with GPSTracker - connection recovery

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: amd64
    • Java Runtime Environment: 11.0.12 (Zulu11.50+19-CA)
    • openHAB version: openHAB 3.2.0Release Build

Hi All

I had an unexpected behavior yesterday with my setup.

Noticed that my openHAB Cloud connection was down. Checked online and showed offline. Also not getting any notifications etc.

Restarted by openHAB installation to recover - which brough connection back online.

What I did nto expect was to see the historical (missed) GPS Tracker events being played back as you can see in the following (was recorded late in the run but look at Annes Phone):

GPS Tracker Replay

This was at about 11h00. Took quite some time to get through all the “missed” events.

While this is a nice “feature” surely it will put a load on the servers? Having to sore and replay all those events?

Cheers
Mark

Are you certain it’s the server that cached them and not the GPSTracker app itself? When your machine went offline it also severed the connection to the app. myopenhab.org only serves as a proxy.

Thanks Rich.
No, to be honest I can’t say for sure. But maybe some more details?
I use OwnTracks on the devices, which uploads the location data to GPS Tracker (https://home.myopenhab.org/gstracker/owntracks)
I am fairly confident that OwnTracks does NOT cache the data - if a device has no data then there are no updates and no historical data is sent when there is data.
I guess the GPS Tracker could store the data - but this runs on the home.myopenhab.org server - so the concern would still be valid?

Also not sure hwo to test this after the fact?

But the device does have data. It just can’t deliver it to the server.

That’s my point. As I understand it, GPS Tracker doesn’t run on myopenhab.org. It runs on your openHAB instance. myopenhab.org only provides the connection to your openHAB instance. If your openHAB isn’t connected to myopenhab.org, OwnTracks can’t reach the server and I believe by default it will cache the locations until connectivity is reestablished. IIRC there is actually a setting in the app to control that behavior.

Sorry. Forgot to add to my response that OwnTracks was reporting successful uploads with no errors.

So the message was getting to https://home.myopenhab.org/gstracker/owntracks but not beyond that as far as I could tell.

And since the connection via openHAB Cloud was down not getting to my local openHAB server.

Actually @rlkoshak you are as usual correct… It turns out that Own Tracks does now cache the locations until the connection comes back.

I slopped the openHAB Cloud bundle and saw the service go offline.
Checked OwnTracks and could see the error:

Restarted the bundle and the cached entries came through.

Sorry about the goose chase.