OH3: openHABian -- upgrade all but OH?

• openHABian 3.3.0 on rPi 4 with 4 GB

I saw my OH login screen:

##   Release = Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
##    Kernel = Linux 5.15.76-v7l+
##  Platform = none
##    Uptime = 118 day(s). 2:18:3
## CPU Usage = 6.52% avg over 4 cpu(s) (4 core(s) x 1 socket(s))
##  CPU Load = 1m: 0.52, 5m: 0.27, 15m: 0.26
##    Memory = Free: 0.76GB (20%), Used: 3.03GB (80%), Total: 3.79GB
##      Swap = Free: 2.90GB (97%), Used: 0.09GB (3%), Total: 2.99GB
##      Root = Free: 7.25GB (52%), Used: 6.44GB (48%), Total: 14.31GB
##   Updates = 50 apt updates available.
##  Sessions = 2 session(s)
## Processes = 153 running processes of 32768 maximum processes
###############################################################################

_   _     _     ____   _               
  ___   ___   ___   ___  | | | |   / \   | __ ) (_)  ____   ___  
 / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ / _ \ | |_| |  / _ \  |  _ \ | | / _  \ / _ \ 
| (_) | (_) |  __/| | | ||  _  | / ___ \ | |_) )| || (_) || | | |
 \___/|  __/ \___/|_| |_||_| |_|/_/   \_\|____/ |_| \__|_||_| | |
      |_|                  openHAB 3.3.0 - Release Build          

It was showing 50 apt updates available.

The openhab config tool has the option:

02 | Upgrade System      Update all installed software packages (incl. openHAB) to their latest version

What is the best way to update the operating system, but not OH?
Will apt update / upgrade update openHABian as well?
If so, can I exclude it?
Why? I am not sure if updating OH will kill something.

Am I too cautious or is the openHABian update process stable, as in only updating to the latest major revision, or will it put OH4 on it?

If you use APT it is possible to hold back package upgrades like described here:

https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/apt-get-hold-back-packages-command/

1 Like

Pinning makes sure it does not get any updates. However, you can check which repository (stable, milestone or snapshot) you are using, openahbian config tool has a menu for this. The process itself is stable, you can also downgrade using apt command. Consider having a backup if you are unsure (that is always a good idea).

You may get some warning about deprecations and breaking changes when upgrading openHAB. Please read carefully.

I didn’t see this answered. No, openHABian updates itself every time you run openhabian-config.

I’m not sure this was fully answered either.

OH has three releases: snapshot, testing, and release. Each has it’s own repo and if you do not do version pinning, apt will update your installed OH to the latest version in the repo.

For now, the latest snapshot is the most recent build which is usually less than 24 hours old. The latest testing release is OH 4.0 M2. The latest release is OH 3.4.3.

This means when the first release of 4.0 is available we might get some unintended upgrades from 3.4 to 4.0?

Yes, for those who don’t follow the announcements or who haven’t fixed the version as discussed above.

That is already the case for those which are/were on testing release when this was changed to first OH 4.0 M1.

That is why I normally do a manual / interactive udpate and upgrade. Not the unattended upgrade provided by openhabian.