OH3 Remotec ZTS-500 Cooling Setpoint

Sorry to resurrect this thread after so long, but I’ve been running into the same issue. Seeing what @scoobydrvr did, I switched the item’s type from Number:Temperature to Number:Dimensionless, and now it works fine.

But I’d like to see how to get it to work properly with it set the “correct” way; as Number:Temperature. But I cannot get it to change (I have the same issue, it immediately switches back to the original value. I’ve tried (using the REST API) sending both e.g. 65 and 65 °F, and they both have the same effect: the actual setting switches back to the original value after sending the command.

Another thing that seems weird to me: if the channel type is Number:Temperature and the item type is Number:Temperature, if I put the item in my sitemap using the Default type, why does this not work? Shouldn’t BasicUI know it needs to send a unit as well? (Though, to be fair, maybe it is sending a unit, but it doesn’t actually work when I send a unit, so…)

Edit: I also saw this post and played around with a few things in BasicUI. I tried setting the label to Heat Setpoint [%.0f %unit%] and Heat Setpoint [%.0f °F], and neither of those work either.

The only way I can get it to work is by setting the item type to Number:Dimensionless, and sending raw values without a unit.

Ok, playing around with it a bit more. This is super weird;, I can somewhat get it to work via BasicUI with Number:Dimensionless, and the sitemap item label ending with [%.0f %unit%]. If I mash on the up or down button in BasicUI quickly, the change to the setpoint sticks. But if I just try to step it slowly one by one, it immediately reverts back to the original value.

@chris any ideas here?

For reference, here’s a z-wave debug log when attempting (and failing) to change the setpoint from BasicUI, with the item type set to Number:Temperature, and the sitemap entry as:

Setpoint item=ThermostatSetpointHeating label="Heat Setpoint [%.0f %unit%]"

The setpoint is already set to 63, and I try (using BasicUI) to step it up to 64.

thermostat-set-setpoint-fail.log (75.3 KB)

Here’s another debug log where it “works”. The setpoint is originally set to 65, and then I mash on the “up” button in BasicUI a few times. I think I get up to 69 or 70 before it settles on 66. So I “successfully” managed to raise the setpoint by 1 degree by rapidly setting it higher 4 or 5 times.

thermostat-set-setpoint-succeed-buttonmash.log (139.3 KB)

(Also I take back what I said about it working when I set the item type to Number:Dimensionless. It only appears to work, because when openHAB gets the state update back from the device, it fails to convert the number with dimensions it gets into the dimensionless value, and leaves it at whatever value I’ve set, even though the thermostat again rejected the setpoint change.)

Edit: I’m also now realizing that I’ve somehow missed @scoobydrvr’s last post where he essentially says everything I just said above. But perhaps with zwave debug logs we can get to the bottom of this…

Edit2: Using the REST API, I’ve found that I can reliably get it to work if I send the command twice in quick succession. Once doesn’t work. I also noticed that setting device parameters (I wanted to set the “swing” to 1F instead of the default of 2F) doesn’t work either; I wonder if setting it twice in quick succession would work, but I don’t think I can do that from the UI.

Edit3: For reference, I’m on openHAB 4.0.4.

I wish you all the luck in the world on solving this but I eventually just threw this thermostat in the bin. In my efforts to get this working I wired it to 24V from the furnace, tried all kinds of fiddling (as documented here), and eventually decided that either the device isn’t conforming to z-wave protocol or it’s too picky to be functional (like it needs exactly “72” and won’t accept “72.00001” or “72 F” or “72°” or similar). Adding to the fact this doesn’t seem to be supported or sold anymore, I just decided to get an Ecobee and move on with my life. Here’s hoping you get it figured out!

Looked this thread over (and your logs over) and am a little bothered that the sensor reports in degrees C. I’m assuming your parameter 1 is degrees F. Anyway my long shot suggestion is to increase the command poll to 5000 milliseconds on the UI page for the device from 1500. Try a one degree change (Like the failed) and wait to see if it holds. Is the device on power or battery?

am a little bothered that the sensor reports in degrees C. I’m assuming your parameter 1 is degrees F.

Yes, that’s right. The on-device unit setting is also set to F, and the device’s own UI does respect that.

I’ve tried sending commands in C (e.g. 20 °C), but that doesn’t work either.

I do have a different zwave thermostat at another property (ADC T-3000) that works correctly, but its sensor also reports in C, so not sure this is actually a problem.

increase the command poll to 5000 milliseconds on the UI page for the device from 1500

No change, unfortunately.

Is the device on power or battery?

Power.

Thanks! I’m probably not going to try too hard with this, and will end up returning it if I can’t get this working in a reasonable amount of time.

Adding to the fact this doesn’t seem to be supported or sold anymore…

Interesting, I just bought a new one on Amazon (US) a couple weeks ago. I wonder if the seller just had an old stock of these, but the manufacturer doesn’t sell them anymore?

Well, a quick googleing shows a few places still sell it, and the mfr has a page for it, but it looks like information that was intended for another product… I do remember contacting their support and, while I got a response, it wasn’t at all helpful. At any rate, best of luck!

Ended up giving up as well, returned the ZTS-500 and got a ADC-T3000, like I’ve used before and know works…