Remotec ZTS-500 Parameters

Please excuse my knowledge, gaps… I thought I would try out the Remotec ZTS-500 Thermostat - The unit is working great so far with OH, but I now notice that none of the device configuration parameters exist in the DB entry for this device. According to the documentation, the device has multiple parameters available (e.g. swing, temp. calibration, differential, etc.). Is there a way I can push parameter commands to the device to make changes? Or, how can I properly contribute to the addition of these parameters into the DB? Thirdly, was there possibly a reason that these parameters were not added when the definition was created in the first place? Much Thanks!

If the parameters aren’t in the database, then they will need to be added - there’s no way to manually send parameter updates.

You can find the information on updating the database here : https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-database-guide

Much thanks as always, Chris. I’ve provided some parameter information and requested approval. Hope I did everything right.

Thanks - I will take a look at this tomorrow and look to do a database update then.

Somewhat related - I have the ZTS-500 and for some odd reason, it won’t accept the temperature setpoint when sent from OH2. I can see in the log that it gets set, but then it immediately gets set back to the previous setpoint. Any thoughts on this? @POB21 does this work as expected for you?

Also, the “sensor_temperature” always reports the temperature in C, even though everything else is set to F

How do you have the item configured? Here’s how I have my item configured using the UOM item type:

Number:Temperature upstairs_setcool "Upstairs Set Cool Temp. [%.0f °F]" <temperature_cold> {channel="zwave:device:512:node36:thermostat_setpoint_cooling"}

Setpoints have been a little bit of a challenge for me with this and other thermostats in the past. I have also observed the zts-500 changing to C, mainly I observe this after system startup or right after the unit kicks on. But then, it will change correctly back to F. I have no idea why it does this, but is a little annoying.

Ok, thanks for the info. Mine is sticking with C instead of F, I can’t control the setpoint (and yes it’s defined as your example), and it doesn’t send updates to the controller consistently, so this unit is being returned. I’m probably going to fall back on the Insteon thermostat I had before.

Thanks again

hmmm, that is strange. The main reason I gave this unit a shot was because I needed more consistent/reliable updates over the radio thermostat unit I was using (I have rule that required immediate updates on state changes). I also didn’t need any logic or advanced functionality in a unit since I do all that in OH, and this one was cost effective and looks attractive. So far, this ZTS-500 has been a great improvement and I’ve experienced near instantaneous and reliable updates on temperature changes and HVAC status, and it’s response is also fast. The reporting in C when the unit is set to F is still strange. I have this exact same problem with my Aeotec Multisensor 6. It is set to F, but the value will flip flop between C and F at random times.

I’ve upgraded to the latest 2.5 snapshot containing the new ZTS-500 parameters I added, so now it’s a bit more usable. Best of luck on your thermostat usage and selection!

Please provide logs that show the problem - unless you’ve worked it out already. Do you have the UOM configuration set correctly?

Hey guys - I’m having issue getting setpoints to work on the zts-500 as well. No matter what i do it seem to take the setpoint but then come back to the orig value. I’ve attached a copy of the debug log from zwave binding. I’ve tried using flat item commands as well as sitemap setpoints for the update to no avail. Any idea whats going on?

Number:Temperature thermostat_first_desiredCool "First desiredCool Temp [%.0f °F]" <temperature_cold> {channel="zwave:device:de228f84:node23:thermostat_setpoint_cooling"}

openhab.log (25.9 KB)

If I understand your problem, try this. Add the + “°F” to the end.

sendCommand(HVAC_CoolSetPoint, 70 + “°F”)

1 Like

thanks for the reply - hopefully it can help someone out … I just ended up returning these and using ecobees… already had 1 so 2 more wasn’t the worst tho it was a bit more expensive

Guys, I am having the same problem with not being reliably set ZTS-500 heating setpoint in OH2.
Full system is running in Celsius and overall running quite ok.
I traced it down all the way to z-wave communications and can clearly see set change request being sent out by OH2 and acknowledged as completed by ZTS.
That is followed by status request and response reports old setpoint.
I escalated issue to Remotec and they are claiming that delay between two requests is too small and should be increased.
Not sure if it’s true or not, is there an easy way to hack-in additional delay between commands to test the hypothesis?
Happy to post the zwave log if helpful.
Thanks all!

Bump, any ideas or observations?
Has does anybody have Remotec ZTS-500 running reliably?