OH3, where's BasicUI gone?

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3B+
    • Java Runtime Environment:
    • openHAB version: Openhabian 3.1.0 stable
  • Issue of the topic:

After several years somehow something went out of whack with my openhabian 2.4, UIs disappeared, Items disappeared, data got hosed, attempted fixes / upgrades just made it worse, so after copying everything I could think of I wiped it and installed a brand new 3.1.0.

I’ve gotten my main Items back up and operational, and some of my main Node Red flows, but I can’t for the life of me find where BasicUI has gone to? From reading around here and going through all of the info I can find, it seems that the ui is installed and apparently active, but I can’t find anywhere to access it, and placing my old default.sitemap where it used to live has not resulted in anything, or any indication that it exists?

From what I can tell Main UI doesn’t suit my purposes / methods, I just have a bunch of things that I want to monitor and control as a whole not as a “house layout”, my system is more “home monitoring” than “home automation”. My BasicUI was setup how I wanted it, I knew what I was doing with it (well, mostly), but I can’t seem to find any way of getting it back, and the documentation is MISSING! Dead links to basicui!

This is a brand new fresh-from-image install, it’s not supposed to be this difficult! I’ve spent the last day reading every post I can find, following every rabbit-hole, but still no usable interface!

The Sitemaps documentation

links in the first paragraph to a dead BasicUI page
https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/ui/basic/

You can go through the MainUI to find it. Up in the upper right corner of the MainUI overview page there is a small pencil icon and next to that a screen panel icon. Press the screen panel and it will open the right-side panel which contains links to the other older UIs, including BasicUI. Once you do that, you will see that there’s a fairly simple url to go directly to that page if you so desire.

I’ll also just add a quick plug for the MainUI: I advise you not to give up on it right away. All the sematic model (equipment/location/properties) stuff is optional. You don’t have to go through with it if it doesn’t fit your system. But the overview page which you can build and populate with lots of built-in easy to use widgets will probably serve the purpose of your “home monitoring” even better than the basicUI with only a little bit of work (and in a format that can be much more responsive and user friendly on both mobile and desktop.

That said, there’s no reason you can’t continue to use the basicUI for now.

Thanks Justin, I’m away from the system at the moment so will check it out when I get home in a few hours. I haven’t come across any of the instructions you’ve posted anywhere in the docs! I believe I had a brief look through that area but didn’t see anything that indicated access to the older UIs.
I’ll see if I can have a go at the new MainUI eventually, but for now I just want to get back up and running as quickly as possible. That said, it seems that the inbuilt tracking/graphing of item data may well mean I don’t need Grafana anymore, but time will tell.
Does myopenhab support the new UI? I’m still having troubles on this front too, it’s still “offline”, one of my main uses is to feed my cameras through so I can check on things wherever I am, and control them through openhab rather than via their proprietary apps.

That’s perfectly reasonable.

The grafana graphs will be prettier out of the box, but since the MainUI graphs are built around apache echarts there’s a ton of flexilibity if you want to get your hands dirty.

Yep.

1 Like

Thanks Jim, the “screens” icon to the top right of the start page (next to the pencil) did in fact have the old UIs listed, and clicking Basic brought up my working pasted default.sitemap.
For reference for others, basic should still live under the old location of
http://IP:8080/basicui/app