OHv2: where are the icons

I migrated form OHv1 to OHv2… and while seemingly basic icons appear on sitemaps, my custom icons added are(naturally) not there.

Where do I have to put my custom icons?

This folder is empty:
Hence, where are the ‘default’ icons stored?
I can see the ‘classic’ set: https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/iconsets/classic/, but it does not tell me where they are stored.

This https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/items.html#icons tells me where they should be, but the folders are empty; yet I see them on my sitemaps.

openHAB provides a set of classic icons by default. Users may add their own icons in either png or svg format in the openHAB icons configuration folder, $OPENHAB_CONF/icons/classic/ .

The previous reads like I have to put my custom icons there. what if they have the same name? Will it use the default icon, or my icon? do I have to rename mine to avoid conflict?

Any hints appreciated… (Maybe 4 days of OH migration / config simply fried my brain)

I put my custom icons in the same ‘classic’ folder. They can’t have the same name, as it will create conflicts.

Thanks. Does it matter, whether you look at the sitemap via basicui or classicui?

I placed my custom icons into the icons/classic folder, but they do not show on a sitemap looked at via basicui.

Same name should not matter as per docu, saying “Users may substitute their own icon for an icon from the default icon set by placing a file in the $OPENHAB_CONF/icons/classic/ folder with the same filename as the name of the icon being substituted.”

So… I am at the end of my wisdom.

$OPENHAB_CONF/icons/classic/ is the right place for your icons in Basic UI, despite the somewhat misleading name… :grin:

Did you check the access rights and are the icons of type .png or .svg?
Also, in PaperUI verify the settings for Basic UI: Configuration > Services > UI > Basic UI Configure.

1 Like

Checked the access rights:

# [2019-01-01 19:10] maxg@rpi3ohv2 /etc/openhab2/icons $
la
total 44
drwxr-xr-x  3 openhab openhab 20480 Jan  1 15:07 .
drwxr-xr-x 14 openhab openhab  4096 Jan  1 17:15 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 openhab openhab 20480 Jan  1 15:07 classic
# [2019-01-01 19:10] maxg@rpi3ohv2 /etc/openhab2/icons $
la classic/a*
-rwxrw-rw- 1 openhab openhab  3460 Apr  9  2018 classic/accuracy.png
-rwxrw-rw- 1 openhab openhab  3201 Apr  9  2018 classic/altitude.png
-rwxrw-rw- 1 openhab openhab  2203 Oct 13 09:23 classic/antenna.png
-rwxrw-rw- 1 openhab openhab 12941 May 23  2016 classic/app-icon.png
-rwxrw-rw- 1 openhab openhab  5094 May 23  2016 classic/attic.png

Huh, configuration in PaperUI… never used this; had a look without saving anything… and it showed icons as vector, which I assume needs to be set to bitmap for the .PNGs…
Is there are config file for the BasiUI, or much I use PaperUI for the config?

No there isn’t. Although, I know you are trying to do everything via text files, unfortunately, you will have to use the paperUI for some settings.

EDIT: Seems I was wrong…

… Had another look…

The docs state the defaults.
Looking at the structure of the statements, they seem to go into the runtime.cfg.
However, the default values seem to be:

# default = demo
org.eclipse.smarthome.basicui:defaultSitemap=demo

# Icons can be disabled; default=true
org.eclipse.smarthome.basicui:enableIcons=true

# Icons can be shown as PNG or SVG images
# Default: PNG
org.eclipse.smarthome.basicui:iconType=png

Hence, I assume no need to specify them… just checked; I had to add them explicitly to make these settings take effect.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. :slight_smile:

Also note that your names may not contain dashes as this is reserved for a special purpose.

Good spotting… I know this in the meantime :slight_smile:

However, I got away with a lot of things in v1 which did not pass the mark in v2…

Quick question: many pages have an ‘update me on GitHub’ link, but not https://www.openhab.org/docs/configuration/ui/basic/ which I would like to update.
Where can I do this?

The default is not png, but svg.

dunno - @Confectrician ?

Should be grabbed from ESH.

The correction required is default is not PNG, but actually SVG when looking at an unconfigured system. (No changes made to config in PaperUI.)