On Debian what is better to install - linux vs openHABian

Hello
should i install the linux way or the openHABian

openjdk version “17.0.10” 2024-01-16 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu17.48+15-CA (build 17.0.10+7-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu17.48+15-CA (build 17.0.10+7-LTS, mixed mode, sharing)

MODEL : Raspberry Pi 5 Model B Rev 1.0
RAM : RAM: total: 7.87 GiB used: 312.7 MiB (3.9%) gpu: 4 MiB
KERNEL : 6.6.20+rpt-rpi-2712
SSD : Patriot M.2 P300 512GB

When using a Raspberry Pi, the best option is to use the official openHABian image, which uses Raspberry Pi OS lite (bookworm) (which is based on debian bookworm anyway).

So the first question is, why not using the image?
openHABian itself provides much more than only openHAB (e.g. frontail to get live display of logging through the browser), so it’s all about what you want to get.

You certainly can use the apt method to install openHAB from scratch (so does openHABian), but then you have to care about every other part of software yourself.

Another option would be docker, Pi5 is a very good platform for docker and you can easily use a docker stack to get all the functionality of openHABian (including frontail, grafana, influxDB and so on).

If you use openhabian on your SSD, make sure to deinstall zram and reinstall raspi-config, incl. „resetting“ .bashrc.

@Udo_Hartmann
thanks for your feedback.
i don’t like docker! installing openHABian will it install docker too for grafant or node rede? if yo i prefere to install it by my self
have a nice day
vinc

No, openHABian doesn’t use docker. it’s using it’s own installation scripts for all the additional software, to get a consistent user interface (the openhabian-config menu).