Only MQTT configurations in .things file not shown anymore in PaperUI

Hello,
I am struggling with my openHAB Docker installation. It previously showed my MQTT configurations (in one .things file) almost instantly in PaperUI. Now this does not work anymore for MQTT. However other definitions in the .things file still work and show up.
The missing MQTT things lead to numerous commands not working in the BasicUI unfortunately. I need some hint how to fix this wierd issue :slight_smile:

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3+, 1 GB RAM, 32 GB MicroSD
    • Java Runtime Environment: unknown
    • openHAB version: 2.5.12 (Docker container)
    • MQTT Binding: binding-mqtt - 2.5.12
  • Issue of the topic:
    I use Docker for my openHAB (2.5.12) and Mosquitto (latest) instances. The MQTT broker is configured as 127.0.0.1 without SSL. It works when a rule calls the configured MQTT device directly e.g. mqttActions.publishMQTT("cmnd/IoT_Steckdose_1/POWER","ON", true)
    Manual configuration of my MQTT-capable devices has always been done using a single .things file with the configuration being shown within PaperUI.
    Out of a sudden, this is not true anymore - I am mot sure what caused this. Other settings in the .things file appear to be read and are being shown in the PaperUI without any problem.
  • My_things.things configuration:
Thing exec:command:ASUS_RT_AC56U_Socket_1 [command="scripts/ASUS_RT-AC56U_Socket_1.sh %2$s"]
Thing mqtt:topic:IoT_Steckdose_1 "Steckdose | MQTT | Küche" (mqtt:broker:357ze2x2) {
   Channels:
      Type switch : PowerSwitch "Schalter"       [stateTopic="stat/IoT_Steckdose_1/POWER",  commandTopic="cmnd/IoT_Steckdose_1/POWER", on="ON", off="OFF"]
      Type number : Power       "Stromverbrauch" [stateTopic="tele/IoT_Steckdose_1/SENSOR", transformationPattern="JSONPATH:$.ENERGY.Power"]
}
  • Logs:
    events.log does not show anything. openhab.log only shows[INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Refreshing model 'My_things.things'

Sounds like your binding is uninstalled.

The rule Action is I think the old v1, and if so completely unrelated to v2 binding. In fact I think they can clash.

Hello rossko57,
thanks. In the console I get:

openhab> bundle:list | grep MQTT
234 x Resolved x  80 x 2.5.12                  x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: MQTT Broker Binding
235 x Resolved x  81 x 2.5.12                  x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: MQTT Things and Channels
236 x Resolved x  82 x 2.5.12                  x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: MQTT HomeAssistant Convention
237 x Resolved x  82 x 2.5.12                  x openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: MQTT Homie Convention
245 x Resolved x  80 x 2.5.0                   x openHAB Core :: Bundles :: MQTT Transport

Is this correct or am I missing something? I tried clearing the cache based on Clear the Cache but now I am greeted with the following in the logs:

[ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing 'openhab-binding-hue, openhab-binding-exec, openhab-ui-homebuilder, openhab-binding-network, openhab-transformation-regex, openhab-ui-habpanel, openhab-action-pushover, openhab-transformation-jsonpath, openhab-binding-shelly, openhab-binding-enigma2, openhab-binding-nuki, openhab-binding-mqtt, openhab-transformation-map, openhab-ui-basic, openhab-binding-ntp, openhab-binding-openweathermap, openhab-binding-astro, openhab-binding-expire1, openhab-ui-paper': Error:
        Error downloading mvn:org.openhab.addons.bundles/org.openhab.transform.map/[2.5.0,2.6)

From within the Docker container, I can use apt-get update and also ping the local DNS server (Pi-hole on another Raspberry Pi 2). Pi-hole does not show any blocked domains for the Raspberry Pi 3+ running the Docker container.

Edit:
Of course, the file version changed…
https://openhab.jfrog.io/artifactory/libs-release/org/openhab/addons/bundles/org.openhab.transform.map/2.5.12/org.openhab.transform.map-2.5.12.jar

I excluded the transform.map addon by changing the addons.config file located in openhab_userdata/config/org/openhab

Why? That only can solve problems with corrupted bindings and related errors. You don’t have anything like that sort of error. All clearing the cache does is force the reinstallation of all your add-ons.

And now you have no add-ons and it’s trying to reinstall them all but there is some problem. When is the last time you updated the image? It might still be pointing to Bintray to download the add-ons. You can try to update the image and recreate the container to see if that helps.

If not, you’ll have to download the addons.kar file and drop that into the addons folder so OH no longer tries to download the add-ons on demand from the internet and instead grabs them from the kar file.

Uninstall it/remove it from addons.config. But all that will do is make it error on the next add-on you have in the list.

Thanks for the info. It was some kind of last resort… Have been struggling with this issue for weeks reading up in this community without any solution so far. Full microSD backup available :smiley: Finally registered today.

Based on update.log from April 10th 2021: SUCCESS: openHAB updated from 2.5.10 to 2.5.12

Image is up to date.
docker-compose:

version: '2.2'

# https://www.openhab.org/docs/installation/docker.html | https://hub.docker.com/r/openhab/openhab/
services:
  openhab:
    image: openhab/openhab:2.5.12
    network_mode: host
    volumes:
      - '/etc/localtime:/etc/localtime:ro'
      - '/etc/timezone:/etc/timezone:ro'
      - './openhab_addons:/openhab/addons'
      - './openhab_conf:/openhab/conf'
      - './openhab_userdata:/openhab/userdata'
    environment:
      OPENHAB_HTTP_PORT: '8080'
      OPENHAB_HTTPS_PORT: '8443'
      EXTRA_JAVA_OPTS: '-Duser.timezone=Europe/Berlin'
    restart: always

Stopped the old container, deleted it and created a new one. Added the addons.kar file just to be sure. Starting the container takes several retries:

2021-05-14 20:07:01.980 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Berlin'...
2021-05-14 20:08:54.117 [INFO ] [el.core.internal.ModelRepositoryImpl] - Loading model '0x_Schalter_Aussensteckdosen.rules'
2021-05-14 20:09:43.430 [INFO ] [ternal.dhcp.DHCPPacketListenerServer] - DHCP request packet listener online
2021-05-14 20:10:49.376 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Berlin'.
2021-05-14 20:15:23.479 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Berlin'.
2021-05-14 20:17:28.174 [INFO ] [ternal.dhcp.DHCPPacketListenerServer] - DHCP request packet listener online
2021-05-14 20:18:11.174 [INFO ] [.core.internal.i18n.I18nProviderImpl] - Time zone set to 'Europe/Berlin'.

UPDATE:
After reinstalling all addons the MQTT binding is finally working again. Thanks for your quick help!