openHAB 2.4 has been released!

First:
Thanks to all volunteers for their ongoing work with openHAB.

Hey @Kai i would have one suggestion. (The same i have written down for the last two releases.)
Would it be possible to move the “breaking changes” up in the release notes?

I think they are positioned really bad at the end of the notes.
Not everyone reads all of the release notes from top to bottom since they include many changes that don’t affect all users and are binding related.

I had problems with one update in the past and learned the hard way to scroll down to reach those important informations.
Still i don’t think that it should be mandatory to read about every pull request that has made it into the current release.

Maybe you could consider changing the release notes structure a bit for the future.

Thanks

3 Likes

Thanks a lot! You guys did an OUTSTANDING job with this release!!

Upgrade went as smooth it could possibly be. Most importantly: OH now runs as fast as never before, this is just amazing! I am really impressed and will always be stunned about the magic you guys can do with software like this :slight_smile:

Again, thanks a lot and have a great holiday season.

I have already made my update from openHAB 2.3.0-1 to 2.4.0-1 (stable), successfully.
The experience was very good overall upgrade, but the experience with zwave binding had its episodes (see here).

I want to thank everyone who contributed to this development.
On @kay, I leave to the all community my great great thanks.

Happy holidays to the whole community.

Just upgraded to 2.4 (from 2.3).
Have spent a while (3 days) tracking down breaking changes. Mostly to do with Zwave (some things/channels changed), still cannot get some devices back on line. This I understand though.

Couple of weird things that aren’t mentioned anywhere.

Insteon PLM binding is a lot less stable. There seems to have been some changes to it, but randomly the binding stops working (an hour, a day…). Never happened in 2.3. Also editing the items file does not reload the binding (nor does bundle:reload in the console). Have to shut OH down completely and restart to get Insteon back on line.

Very odd thing with the network health binding. Took me 2 days to find this.
I have some micro controllers with WiFi modules controlling garden lighting. These cortex M0’s went offline when 2.4 was installed.
Resetting them, they boot, connect to WiFi/mqtt, then in less than one minute hang.
Traced it to the network health binding, this “pings” them every 60 seconds. When the “ping” occurs, the microcontrollers hang.
I can ping them from system (ICMP, Windows or Linux), with no problem, also arping works fine. Just networkhealth “ping” causes them to hang. I have tried every setting on the network health thing for each of them, but they still hang. Maybe the java “ping”?
I have disabled the thing for these microcontrollers for now (but now I have no way of knowing if they are online or not).
Anyone have any ideas of how to fix this? Or what is different about the 2.4 networkhealth binding vs the 2.3? I already tried system_ping=“false”, port=0, changing arping to /dev/null.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Pop up a new thread and post there some details to see if we can debug this.

Overall feedback is good as a reply to an announcement thread but you can’t really use this one for troubleshooting :slight_smile:

Generally: If anyone has problems due to the upgrade from OH 2.x to 2.4.0 Stable, they should open a new thread with the details and link to it from their reply here. No logs should exist in announcement threads :slight_smile:

Hello,

Please, can you help me?

After upgrading to the 2.4 version, the Network Binding can’t search things in the INBOX. It justs don`t find any equipment in the network, before upgrade it was finding a lot of devices and services.

And i’m also trying to make the MQTT 2.4 binding work too… in this case, when i try to manually add an MQTT Broker, i got error 500 when i try to save the configuration in Paper UI.

Thanks in advance.

Please open a new discussion for your issues, as it would attract more readers.

I have found the problem with the Insteon PLM binding, nothing to do with OH2 or the binding (my appologies).

It turns out I installed a new OS in November. Recently I installed ser2net to configure the Insteon USB Modem.
Seems that the default for ser2net is to automatically start up on boot. As this is connecting to the port that the Insteon PLM is on, it depends which starts first as to which claims the port.

Disabling ser2net fixes the issue.

Just download the 2.4 stable distro from openhab.org

Windows Defender is showing that their is a virus included within the zip.

@Kai is this a false positive you are aware of?

I can’t reproduce.

I just scanned openhab-2.4.0.zip on my Win 10 Ent x64 (17134.472) with both Kaspersky Internet Sec 19.0.0.1088(d) and Win Defender (1.283.1594.0):

C:\openHAB2\runtime\system\org\openhab\core\org.openhab.ui.homebuilder\2.4.0\org.openhab.ui.homebuilder-2.4.0\web\dist\build.js does not come up as a false positive.

Anyway, I reported it to https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/filesubmission

latest antimalware definitions: from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/wdsi/definitions

2 Likes

Same here.

1 Like

@Heiko_Fanieng check out the latest build (will be finalized the next days, just thinking to add channel groups)

1 Like

The false positive is happening on both my Windows 10 machines. And it’s also blocking the download, which is annoying!

Can confirm this (virus warning) on other Windows 10 machines.

My Defender version information:

no virus detection, but windows defender is scanning around 5 minutes until the file got successfully saved on disk

Hi,

Did you ever get this resolved?
I have just upgraded 2.4 and everything is fine apart from the same sort of errors appearing when Im using the IOS app.

Did manage to destroy a Wifi LED controller which essentially overheated while I was upgrading and burned itself out even though the LED lights were off which was strange.

Anyhow only issue is the same sort of warnings as you listed.

Kevin

I had similar problems after update. Did you solve it?

If you have issues with load and Basic UI disconnecting, maybe there is some addon that fails to install. See also Basic UI - continually disconnects 'waiting for server to become available'

@olialb & @KevinI
No I haven’t been able to fixed it directly. But I was addressing a separate issue with the IpCamera binding, and had to increase the Java JVM heapsize to 512. That seems to reduce the # of exceptions. I am not at home right now. I will confirm when I get home tonight. The the record, this happens with my Basic UI running in the desktop browser.

See this link on how to increase the heap memory: IpCamera: New IP Camera Binding

Hm, thanks for the hint. But I do not have an ipCamera…