openHAB 2.4 has been released!

Thanks to everyone who puts in any effort into this awesome project.

Thank you for the new release. Couldnā€™t wait to upgrade - running smooth :+1:

Great base to add more features during the holidays as the kids get their toys and Iā€™ll get mine :wink:

Thank you to all the people involved for improving openHAB! This is a great update in our system.

I upgraded to this release from 2.4 M5, and I am getting a lot of exceptions like this:

2018-12-17 20:58:30.976 [WARN ] [org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel] - /rest/sitemaps/default/14
javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.servlet.ServletException: A MultiException has 1 exceptions.  They are:
1. java.lang.IllegalStateException: ServiceLocatorImpl(__HK2_Generated_205,206,8965599) has been shut down

at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.JettyServerHandlerCollection.handle(JettyServerHandlerCollection.java:88) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:132) ~[84:org.eclipse.jetty.server:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.Server.handle(Server.java:531) ~[84:org.eclipse.jetty.server:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpChannel.handle(HttpChannel.java:352) [84:org.eclipse.jetty.server:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.HttpConnection.onFillable(HttpConnection.java:260) [84:org.eclipse.jetty.server:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.AbstractConnection$ReadCallback.succeeded(AbstractConnection.java:281) [75:org.eclipse.jetty.io:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.FillInterest.fillable(FillInterest.java:102) [75:org.eclipse.jetty.io:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.io.ChannelEndPoint$2.run(ChannelEndPoint.java:118) [75:org.eclipse.jetty.io:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.runTask(EatWhatYouKill.java:333) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.doProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:310) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.tryProduce(EatWhatYouKill.java:168) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.strategy.EatWhatYouKill.run(EatWhatYouKill.java:126) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.ReservedThreadExecutor$ReservedThread.run(ReservedThreadExecutor.java:366) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool.runJob(QueuedThreadPool.java:762) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.util.thread.QueuedThreadPool$2.run(QueuedThreadPool.java:680) [87:org.eclipse.jetty.util:9.4.11.v20180605]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]                              
Caused by: javax.servlet.ServletException: A MultiException has 1 exceptions.  They are:
1. java.lang.IllegalStateException: ServiceLocatorImpl(__HK2_Generated_205,206,8965599) has been shut down

at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.serviceImpl(WebComponent.java:489) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.WebComponent.service(WebComponent.java:427) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:388) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:341) ~[?:?]
    at org.glassfish.jersey.servlet.ServletContainer.service(ServletContainer.java:228) ~[?:?]
    at com.eclipsesource.jaxrs.publisher.internal.ServletContainerBridge.service(ServletContainerBridge.java:76) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHolder.handle(ServletHolder.java:865) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doHandle(ServletHandler.java:535) ~[?:?]
    at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.HttpServiceServletHandler.doHandle(HttpServiceServletHandler.java:71) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:146) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.security.SecurityHandler.handle(SecurityHandler.java:548) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.HandlerWrapper.handle(HandlerWrapper.java:132) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:257) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doHandle(SessionHandler.java:1595) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextHandle(ScopedHandler.java:255) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doHandle(ContextHandler.java:1317) ~[?:?]
    at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.HttpServiceContext.doHandle(HttpServiceContext.java:293) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:203) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.servlet.ServletHandler.doScope(ServletHandler.java:473) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.session.SessionHandler.doScope(SessionHandler.java:1564) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.nextScope(ScopedHandler.java:201) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ContextHandler.doScope(ContextHandler.java:1219) ~[?:?]
    at org.eclipse.jetty.server.handler.ScopedHandler.handle(ScopedHandler.java:144) ~[?:?]
    at org.ops4j.pax.web.service.jetty.internal.JettyServerHandlerCollection.handle(JettyServerHandlerCollection.java:80) ~[?:?]
    ... 15 more     

And I noticed that after every couple minutes my BasicUI sitemap goes offline and then online again.

Hi.
First, thankā€™s to all for this great work.
Now, can i change in openhabian_config from testversion to stable or is the last milestone build the same like openhab 2.4 stable?
And is the mqtt binding v1.0 still there or can i use only the new one?
Greetings,
Markus

Both can coexist. Mqtt1 is in the legacy addons list which need to be enabled in paper UI.

Since OH doesnā€™t install device drivers or any other kernel modules it seems unlikely that the upgrade itself is causing the kernel panic. Are you running off of an SD card? Have you killed the power to the machine instead of shutting it down in the recent past?

Was running on a Samsung Ultra 8Gb SDCard was working find launched the updated and didnt finish

I would consider rebuilding that SD card or replacing it. A Kernel panic like this is usually caused by just two things:

• corrupt file system has destroyed a small part of a kernel module
  • there is a device that has physically failed on your machine

Can anybody tell me, where I could find some more information on how to use this particular new feature - what would be the right way to set item options?

Consider item options for selection widget when no mapping is defined

(listed with Issue#5667 under the BasicUI Enhancements)

The documention does not list the 2nd mqtt binding. I would expect that both:

bindings show up in the binding overview on https://www.openhab.org/addons/
When you search for mqtt one can find both.

This is not true. If you click on the MQTT documentation, the other document is linked right after the introduction.

are the repoā€™s updated too? Might be time to snapshot my vmā€™s and give it a run!

Many, many thanks guys
Your work is invaluable

Is anyone aware if the POWERSHELL scripts for a Windows Upgrade will work with 2.4?

Thanks for your work.

BTW, whatever you did:

• PaperUI is much, much faster now. (Really faster, not just a bit)
  • The Android App doesnā€™t need minutes to load the sitemap (Same as PaperUI, huge speed increase)

Great Job!

I just ran these upgrades being on a old 2.4 Snapshot version and its taken me to 2.5 Snapshot! Woops!

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

I assume thats normal! eeeekk

Yes, quite normal. You are using the snapshot repository so an upgrade will upgrade you to the latest snapshot which is 2.5 as of yesterday. If you want to run the release or a milestone version instead you need to change the apt repo you are pulling from. If you are running openhabian there is an option in the menu to charge the repo. If not, I think there are instructions in the install docs. If not let us know and we can help.

2 Likes

After upgrade from 2.4 M8 using openhabian I lost access to karaf console - it do not accept password habopen. Tried to change password as described in doc - no resultā€¦
Any idea how to fix this?

2 reboots fixed the problem!

Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into this openHAB. Just getting started and struggling but will get there over time. Appreciate the work you guys are doing.