Openhab 2.5: cannot be resolved to an item or type

All,

I’m running into an issue where an item cannot be found by the rule engine, while it does exist.

Steps to reproduce / explanation of issue:

1. Define item: EersteVerdiepingComputerkamerRolluik_BlindsControl by going to things > selecting a channel > choose new item > provide the name: EersteVerdiepingComputerkamerRolluik_BlindsControl

2. Using the item in a sitemap works fine. The basic UI can then be used to control the roller shutter.

3. Using the item in a rule yields the following error when executing the rule:

2019-12-16 17:30:00.973 [ERROR] [ntime.internal.engine.ExecuteRuleJob] - Error during the execution of rule ‘rolluiken nacht dicht’: The name ‘EersteVerdiepingComputerkamerRolluik_BlindsControl’ cannot be resolved to an item or type; line 24, column 3, length 50

Workaround / lead to root cause
If i do the exact steps as above, but with a different item name e.g. “EersteVerdiepingComputerkamerRolluik”. all is well and the item .“EersteVerdiepingComputerkamerRolluik” can be used in the rule.
Alternatively, switching on “simple mode” and using the generated thing name also works fine in the rule.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Rev 1.2
    • openHAB version: 2.5.0-1

Could be that I’m overlooking something. Does anyone else observe this behavior? Is there an issue with long item names or special characters in item names?

Best regards.

From the docs

The name must be unique across all .items files in your openHAB configuration. The only characters permitted in an Item name are letters, numbers and the underscore character. Names must not begin with numbers. Spaces and special characters are not permitted.

never heard of a length limit but seems to be only problem

1 Like