openHAB 2.5 has been released!

Thank you to all contributors for all the work you out in there!

Would be great if there could be a category in the forum where all the upgrade related issues can be tagged with. Would make it easier to see if there are problems effecting my setup before I run my upgrade.

That’s what the release notes are for, chapter

### Breaking Changes that Require Manual Interaction after the Upgrade

2 Likes

I upgraded my manual 2.4.0 installation to 2.5.0. I did all things from the release notes and I also cleared tmp and cache dirs.
At first start, it did not create all my items that are in text files, some were missing (those created in PaperUI were not affected).
At second start, all items were there, but my Nest account went offline after a few minutes.
At third start, the first 2 problems did not occur, but:

So, sadly, I am back to 2.4.0, because the Unifi problem is a show-stopper for me. The Homematic bug was already reported for 2.4.0. The Unifi problem is already being talked about in that binding’s thread. The Nest problem was not reproduced. Nothing more that I can contribute, I guess.

I really appreciate all the hard work of all maintainers, still it’s not good that strange problems happen on first start (maybe related to empty cache). I have also seen others recommending to restart openHAB 2.5.0 again after the first start.

Why is this in the Announcements instead of its own thread?

Or, perhaps related to a complex, flexible system where developers cannot anticipate and test all of the myriads of configuration combinations. It appears that some binding developers seem to wait until release, or close to release to try and fix their bindings.

I was reporting an upgrade experience. AFAIR, the announcement thread has been used for this kind of feedback for the 2.4.0 release.
If bindings developers fix their binding AFTER the release, how are they then being updated outside of an openHAB release?
AFAIK, bindings cannot be updated “officially” from within an openHAB installation (despite manually uninstalling and copying the new JAR file and hoping that it works).

1 Like

I mentioned in my post above “I will provide a couple of further infos on how to proceed with 2.x” - there will be a way to make add-on fixes available to existing 2.5 users, so please be patient for a few more days!

9 Likes

Cool, thanks!

Thank you to all contributors!

My update worked perfectly!

1 Like

I’ve just updated and 24 hours in everything seems to be worked perfectly. Thanks very much, you achieved what a lot of the major software companies can’t!

2 Likes

Done, see here.

2 Likes

I’ve had OpenHABian 2.4 running on a PI3 for few weeks now. I do not yet see a 2.5 version. Is it in the works?

Did you try the update function of openhabian-config? Should be selection no 3.
Although I can’t say in what way you expect to “see” the update. Blog-post on openhab.org, announcement in this forum…

BTW You are most probably running openHAB 2.4 on an openhabian installation, the version numbers for openhabian are different!

openHABian OS & script numbers re different but OH version numbers when using openHABian are the same.
If you are using the Stable repo, 2.5 is definitely there. Does sudo apt-get update give any errors? There were some changes in repo keys several months ago.

Thank to contributors!! OH 2.5 in most work smooth and fine. Only little problem i found with encoding russian symbols in PaperUI control. In android app and basicUI no problem.

The Paper UI is not recommended for daily control anyway. It will not be a UI on OH3 as far as I know.

Ok! Thanks! I now. I use it just in debug purpose.

openHAB 2.5.0 Release Build
No problems found.

Thanks.i will try in another browser.

Thanks all contributors for this update.
After remove org.openhab.binding.amazonechocontrol_2.5.0.RC_3.jar from addons directory and reboot everything works fine, including Z-Wave, Zigbee devices and MQTT
Here my system:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Plus Rev 1.3
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PRETTY_NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux 9 (stretch)"
NAME="Raspbian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="9"
VERSION="9 (stretch)"
VERSION_CODENAME=stretch
ID=raspbian
ID_LIKE=debian
HOME_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianForums"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://www.raspbian.org/RaspbianBugs"
nano ~/.profile
CONTAINER ID        IMAGE                       COMMAND                  CREATED             STATUS              PORTS                                                                    NAMES
d9f5dc16cc6a        openhab/openhab:latest      "/entrypoint.sh gosu…"   2 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                   docker_openhab_1
66df760487a8        jsurf/rpi-mariadb           "docker-entrypoint.s…"   2 hours ago         Up 2 hours          0.0.0.0:3306->3306/tcp                                                   docker_mariadb_1
4b58e71c0a4a        arm32v6/eclipse-mosquitto   "/docker-entrypoint.…"   2 hours ago         Up 2 hours          0.0.0.0:1883->1883/tcp, 0.0.0.0:8883->8883/tcp, 0.0.0.0:9001->9001/tcp   docker_mosquitto_1
9a0d7502e953        koenkk/zigbee2mqtt:latest   "./run.sh"               2 hours ago         Up 2 hours                                                                                   docker_zigbee2mqtt_1
dash-mqtt-bridge.service
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2020-02-08 11:52:45 CET; 2h 3min ago
frontail_log.service
frontail_oh.service
   Active: active (running) since Sat 2020-02-08 11:53:02 CET; 2h 3min ago
frontail_mos_log.service
docker-compose version 1.24.1, build 4667896
Docker version 19.03.5, build 633a0ea