openHAB 2.5.x Patch Releases

Getting error on Tellstick Binding after update. Tryed posting elswhere on forum but no answers.
Error is:
UNINITIALIZED - HANDLER_INITIALIZING_ERROR

Was working fine before update.

Please help :slight_smile:

Also the Mail binding doesnā€™t really want to work as it beforeā€¦

'sendMail' is not a member of 'org.eclipse.smarthome.core.thing.binding.ThingActions'

Sorry to ask but I donā€™t really understand the new update procedure.
I am on 2.4 stable, do I need to get on 2.5 and after on 2.5.x or how does that work now?

Upgrade to the latest stable release and youā€™ll get 2.5.1.2. The download wasnā€™t working on Monday, but it worked for me yesterday.

When I do a manual upgrade, I have to specify a version number. So I specified 2.5.1. How do I know about newer sub releases like 2.5.1.2, so that I can specify that?

One other thing, which is happening for 2.5.0 and 2.5.1 for me:
After stop, clear cache and tmp and restart (which is also happening during an upgrade), it does not work. A lot of items are not created and therefore a lot of rules fail. Also, seems like a lot of bindings are not being started.
Then I shutdown and start a 2nd time, then everything is OK except the Nest binding (unknown/offline things).
Then I shutdown and start a 3rd time, then everything works.

Thatā€™s a known problem. There is an issue open for it but no fix. I canā€™t explain the Nest issue though. That seems different.

IĀ“m on snapshot-update channel and i updated some time ago, now iĀ“m on 2.5.1

I think, when i do an apt-get update & upgrade, i will switch to oh 3 ?

How can i prevent this? I want to stay on the latest snapshots (or latest stable with the updates, which will be provided to 2.5 in the future) - but only on 2.5.x

I had the same problem with the Nest Binding and Nest things being offline.
Multiple restarts alone sorting it out.
My Mihome binding things also behaved in the same way so I decided it was probably nothing specific to the Nest binding but just part of the erratic up-grade restart behaviour.

Im not using debian packages (Iā€™m on CentOS) but i guess you can do it a similiar way as Iā€™ve done it,
I just replaced the content in the repo file.

replace the content in ā€œ/etc/apt/sources.list.d/openhab2.listā€

deb https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/openhab-linuxpkg unstable main

with

deb https://dl.bintray.com/openhab/apt-repo2 stable main

For the time-being, you wonā€™t automatically switch. (There arenā€™t any Linux packages for OH 3.x as of yet).

When the packages are ready, we will be providing openhab snapshot packages which will be set to ā€˜conflictā€™ with openhab2 packages. Meaning that youā€™ll have to specify to install with apt or yum to move over. This will uninstall openhab2 (keeping configuration files) and install openhab 3.x on top.

2 Likes

But if @halloween wantā€™s updates for the current 2.5 release (e.g. 2.5.1-2) then it would make sense to change the URL in the repo file, correct ?

Well, the most appropriate URL for stable releases is the repo you mention, but the version is available from the unstable repo too. New releases of openhab2-addons will appear as snapshots in unstable and as full releases in both stable and unstable.

Iā€™m a little bit confused.
From
https://ci.openhab.org/view/Integration%20Builds%20(2.5.x)/job/openHAB-Distribution/
we already have 2.5.2-snapshot.
But I am unable to get it via openhabian or via
sudo apt-get update/upgrade.
It always tells me I am already on the newest version that is indicated as 2.5.1-2 (Release Build).
I would especially being interested in the zwave fixes.
Any ideas?

There have been usually 3 different OH versions at any one time.

Stable. The current version is 2.5.1
Testing or Milestone. There is not a current release now.
Unstable or Snapshot. There are currently 2.5.2 snapshots sometimes released daily.

Testing snapshots are not expected to be fully functional. They are designed for integrated testing for developers with issues reported to GitHub.

Milestone releases aIm to be fully functional and are designed for wider testing. As a version matures there are sometimes Release Candidates here too.

Stable releases are fully functional designed fir everyday use.

If you need just the zwave binding there is a Zigbee and zwave update script here to make installation easier.

All, we have just published the patch release 2.5.2 - see its release page for details!

In constrast to the original plan stated above, there is again a distro 2.5.2 available, although the distro itself is more or less identical to version 2.5.1 since all changes only concern the add-ons.

This also means that the 2.5.2 patches are directly available to any 2.5.1 distro installation as well without doing a distro update. If you install new add-ons - or you delete the cache and have add-ons reinstalled - the distro will pick the latest patch version of the add-on.

IMPORTANT NOTICE TO USERS OF THE EXEC BINDING:
Due to this security advisory, the exec binding requires to have a whitelist of allowed commands to execute. Note that when updating the exec binding to version 2.5.2, it will stop functioning until you provide such a whitelist. Please see the binding documentation for details and also check this post for a detailed how to.

13 Likes

9 posts were split to a new topic: Security limitations in 2.5.2 exec binding

Because I was a bit confused how to update from 2.4 stable to 2.5 stable I was waiting until 2.5 is really stable. I guess now with 2.5.2 it is.
How do I get now that 2.5.2 correctly installed, just via the GUI?

Thank you, Kai! Will there be a separate announcement for 1.x addons? (nudge)

3 posts were merged into an existing topic: Security limitations in 2.5.2 exec binding

Regarding the security vulnerability: it might be interesting to mention that following an initative by the architecture council, openHAB now has a Security Policy and participates in the Common Vulnerabilities and Exposures (CVE) program. You can report vulnerabilities to security@openhab.org and they will be discussed privately until a security advisory and CVE are eventually published.

This remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2020-5242) involving the exec addons is actually pretty nasty so now that itā€™s out there, all users are strongly advised to upgrade to 2.5.2 whenever possible, even if you donā€™t use the exec binding or transformation.

7 Likes