OpenHAB 2 beginners / n00b guide?

Same with me, BUT: you can’t change configuration parameters of your zwave devices with text files, you have to use an external program. And the best one - and only one which is integrated into openHAB - is Habmin.

Actually it is a kind of extended PaperUI with some additional features, mainly zwave features…

No, because that definition is for openHAB1, with openHAB2 you have to use “channel” definition.

That is correct, where did you find that other example? Hopefully not in the openHAB docs :grinning:

Your item and sitemap definition for denStripEnergy is correct, if something else is displayed take a look if you have channels linked to things. Look in PaperUI under “Configuration” “Things” or in Habmin under the same tab. There should be no channels linked to things. If yes I guess you did not set “Simple Mode” to off. If it is set to on (default) links and item are created automatically for things (and therefore for zwave).
See here:

Maybe what you see in your sitemap is something autocreated and not what you have configured through your text files.

I did find it in the openhab doc, https://github.com/openhab/openhab/wiki/Explanation-of-items, about 2/3rds down the page under heading “Formatting”. I just noticed a different example near the beginning (heading “Real life example”) that has the unit inside bracket.

This fixed it, thanks! Many options to figure out what they do …

Okay, changed it to the correct syntax.

Hi, so i have to hijack this thread and ask my questions as they are all beginners questions.

First of all, I’m quite familiar with OH1 and now switched to OH2 using the openhabian Image which is really a great starting point. I’ve read a lot of so called guides and tutorials but many questions remain unanswered.

So let’s begin:

1. Is paperUI supposed to be the “single source of truth” regarding configuration? background: I’m trying to setup my own sitemap (as everyone else i think ;)) so I create item files. Do I have to create “thing”-files too, or is this obsolete when the “thing” is discovered in paperUI? It’s very bulky to switch between Smarthome Designer and paperUI.
  2. Where are items located that were created through paperUI? Is there any item-file or edit them just through paperUI?
  3. What am I doing wrong when I get 2 entries for the same item in events.log. This item (hu_sk_di_speiss) is configured in an item-file but will also output the cryptic item created by paperUI. See sample below.
2016-11-15 13:58:33.494 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - hu_sk_di_speiss changed from 0 to 100
2016-11-15 13:58:33.505 [ItemStateChangedEvent     ] - hue_0100_00178823bb93_11_brightness changed from 0 to 100

ok as I’m writing this I found out that i had a manually created item that was linked to the same thing. does this mean i have to unlink every channel that i don’t want to use, to not spam the events.log?

I have a lot of other questions, but let’s start with this…

regards
Mario

at least with homegear, you don’t have to unlink the automated linked thing. just put your own definition in your item file and refer to the the thing created by OH2 by copiing the text bfrom the Thing:
configuration --> things --> yourThing

oh my, im glad i found this thread. I’ve been really struggling! I’ve found the docs a nightmare to work through, a muddled mixture of openHAB 1 and 2, sometimes no way of knowing which is which, trying things which clearly dont work, then not knowing if I’ve done something wrong or if its just for the wrong version. I still can’t get any binding to work properly.

I have no real knowledge of linux systems, and the amount of unexplained parts of various documents is amazing. I know its mainly people who are familiar with the basics who set this up, but is very difficult for a beginner. Its riddled with 'type this line, then type this line, then in the background, solve the grand unified theory, but obviously you know how to do that bit, then type this line, then everything works!

Sorry if this is a bit of a rant, hopefully i’ll get the measure of it and it’ll all seem easy once it works…

hopefully!

Then you should try:

if you are using a Raspberry.