Openhab 2 Group behavior with tradfri lamps

I have the following setup:

• Openhab 2
  • Nodered
  • Conbee II (Zigbee)
  • Ikea Tradfri lamps paired to Conbee II

I’m trying to use Paper UI for configuring as much as possible.

My problem is the behavior off the groups.

When a group receives the OFF command or the 0 command it often stays on a number above 0.
I have tried a group with AVG or MAX.

I’m wondering what is the best way to setup an group of Tradfri lights. We also experience that we first need to set the slider to zero and only after setting to zero the lights can be switched on.

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 3
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version: 2.5.10

Your group item should not have a definition like AVG or MAX. This refers only to numeric items. In your case you will need a group item as a switch. then this knows the ON/OFF type.

See the following Group item for text definition:

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)     MyZigbeeLightsGroup

Regarding the best way to set up a light control. I prefere to have a switch per light for ON/OFF, a dimmer for each thing and if available also a color picker. Then I create a group for all dimmer devices. This group gets a number AVG value. A Group for the switch devices as visible aove and one color group. The control of a color group item is only working in OpenHAB 3 as far as I know.

The groups would then look like this:

Group:Switch:OR(ON,OFF)     MyZigbeeLightsGroup_Switch
Group:Dimmer:AVG            MyZigbeeLightsGroup_Dimmer

My groups have type dimmer as I can only control the brightness. So there is no Switch option in Paper UI when checking the thing. To switch the lights of I send a brightness of 0 (zero).