openHAB 3.0 Milestone 1 discussion

I think you mixed up OH and Openhabian? The latter is the operating system your RasPi runs and OH is a service on top of that, basically independend from the underlying OS. So yes, OH can be updated independently from Openhabian. But new prerequisites need to be fulfilled, e.g. Java needs to be upgraded to version 11 instead of version 8 as needed with OH 2.x.

Currently Openhabian does not support a migration of OH from 2.x to 3.0 yet as OH 3.0 is still in milestone state. But a migration is possible and intended. I did it manually on a spare RasPi and it looks promising. A migration will take over your existing configuration, as far as it makes sense/is possible. But as you stated you wanted to start from scratch: you may do that as well by taking a backup of your entire installation or at least your OH2 installation, uninstall OH2.x and install 3.0. Everything else should remain untouched that way.

1 Like

IIRC there was talk to remove the DSLR rule engine in openhab 3.0. Is this still the case?

Yes, it was replaced by a new one but you can still run/develop your old DSL rules.
I have not yet tested rules in OH3 myself. Hope the compatibility with old rules is with no restriction.

Hi,

i had a look at the rules and they work fine, mosly, but i cannot get to execute something from this fails : var ExecUtil = Java.type("org.openhab.core.io.net.exec.ExecUtil"); (see my previous post in this thread)

Also, i almost managed to put openhab behind a shared reverse proxy using this config.
ProxyPass /openhab/ http://127.0.0.1:8080/
ProxyPass /auth http://127.0.0.1:8080/auth
ProxyPass /res/ http://127.0.0.1:8080/res/
ProxyPass /basicui/ http://127.0.0.1:8080/basicui/
ProxyPass /rest / http://127.0.0.1:8080/rest/
ProxyPass /icon/ http://127.0.0.1:8080/icon/

But i get two strange things:

• the login redirect uses an absolute path, but if i re-add the prefix path /openhab in the url ?code=65d9526181c84538947fd1474886bc2d&state=5763d228f0 it then works :slight_smile:
  • however the same trick does not work while using a basic auth protected site. the login seems to conflict/reset the apache authentication in someway and apache ask me for my login/password again.

not sure how to fix it, but happy to provide more info if needed!

I have 2 installs using the OH2 version of this binding. I have not tried OH3

Hi everybody,

I am new user, trying OH3 as my new smart home platform. I know it is not finished yet, but don’t want to start with an ‘old’ version and I don’t expect everything to work 100% from the start.

I’ve found the following issues / have the following suggestions after a few days of playing with OH3:

• After a startup of openhab the PowerView binding shows a bridge error it will not be automatically resolved. But disabling the bridge and enabling it again makes it go online.

• The same thing happens often with the DenonMarantz binding, It should poll every 5 seconds, but sometimes it starts up as offline and it does not go online after 5 seconds, disable and enable resolves this and it shows it as online again.

• The z-wave database contains configuration parameters (for example Eurotronic Spirit) having a range and an option outside of this range. For example temperature offset has a range of -50 to 50 or can be 128 for external temperature input and the LCD display timeout has a range of 5 to 30 or can be 0 for no timeout.
    As far as I understand the configuration UI should accept the range and all option values, but a the moment it uses a vue Framework7 f7-list-input control with only the min and max value set. So it accepts the range, but not the option values outside of this range.
    For now, this is solved by altering the device database to include the option value(s). So -50 to 128 for the temperature offset and 0 to 30 for the LCD display timeout.
    Ideally the UI (and maybe backend) is altered to allow the defined range and all option values. This way the z-wave database better reflects the possible configuration values.

• The rule engine is very limited without using ‘external’ scripts. My proposal is to extend it with OR, NOT and ELSE possibilities, so most rules can be made without any scripting,. This will make OH3 much more friendly to newcomers and non-developers. But also as a developer I’d like to be able to create most rules without coding. My proposal can be found here:
    OH3 Rules enhancement proposal - OR, NOT and ELSE

I’d like to help out, but have some trouble building on Windows at the moment. I can also set this up on Linux, but Windows should work as well, otherwise the docs should mention only building on Linux works.

2 Likes

This was a problem in the device database used by the binding. It was fixed this past week. That version of openHAB are you running? If running openHAB3 the latest snapshot should have the fixed database. The Thing needs to be deleted & re-added to get the new parameters.

Sorry I don’t agree it is the database. The UI just does not support a range and options outside of this range which are also valid. The database is now ‘fixed’ by making sure the range includes the separate option values, but this way it loses semantics.

That is because of the settings in the database entry, not the UI.
I know because I was the one that updated the database entry.

There are three things that I’m aware of that will be different:

1. No longer can two instances of the same rule run at the same time. The rule triggers will be queued up in a FIFO and executed in sequence instead of at the same time.

2. Joda DateTime is gone, replaced with ZonedDateTime.

3. There is no more limit to the number of rules that can be running at the same time.

1 may or may not impact a typical user. With any luck it’ll let users get rid of rule locks. 3 is not something a user will notice unless they had problems before with rules being delayed or stopping because they had long running rules and ran out of rules threads.

2 will likely require some changes as the ZonedDateTime is not 100% compatible with Joda DateTime.

I’m seeing the same thing. I’ve tried lots of different paths based on the classes in the openhab-core repo but it just can’t seem to find it or the logger actions for that matter.

1 Like

What are you wanting to build? webui, core, zwave… Also best to start a thread on this in the Dev branch of this forum. I am doing bindings builds on windows. Welcome and yes it is a good idea to start on V3 if you can do things with minimal docs and understand things are not 100% in all areas yet. I’m running the daily snapshot builds here with a stable setup that is growing each day.

I am trying to build core.

But let’s discuss further at this topic:

Sorry if this is obvious and i’ve just missed some documentation, but I noticed some of my items in the new UI I can select analysis and it shows a chart with history. However, the charts are blank for the vast majority of items. Is there something I need to do to get them to be shown?

By the way, loving the new UI - massive improvement!,

It appears to be the channels that a binding has implemented Units Of Measure (UOM) on.
Number:Temperature
Have not looked at getting persistence running on other channels yet as the main ones are working right away.

I’m trying to rebuild my home in OH3 and to understand the new concept of Equipment.
In the semantic model one equipment is displayed only once - even if it’s assigned to different groups.
Is this only unfinished or do I misunderstand the concept?

For example:
A physical device Thing is a “KNX 4 channel heating actor” with ~15 channels that are belonging to 4 different rooms (actor)
A virtual device Equipment is the “Room Temperature Controller” in a single room (controller)

The point “current temperature” from a zwave-device and the point “current heating state” from the actor should be available in both places in the Semantic Model - but there were only displayed once:

So I don’t understand this difference between groups and semantic classification:

For the RRD4J/chart problem, I opened an issue Saturday and a fix was proposed Sunday. Waiting for the merge.

I still don’t understand the new equipment, too. I was under the impression it’s just items that have been tagged with a certain kind of tag name.
But now we have Things, Items and Equipment that is somehow available. Isn’t Equipment and a Thing the same?

1 Like

Hi MIchael,

the sematic model is based on the Brick scheme https://brickschema.org/ . It is more then just a group structure that many of us used in earlier OB versions.

As far as i see there are some errors in the UI and some shortcoming in the scheme. Like you defined a view on the technical side i defined a view on different zones like internet oder plantsensors. These concepts are not really supported.

I am waiting for a documentation on this, because in the locations tab you shoudl see your locations and i bet you see nothing.

I suggest not to put to much effort in that area yet

Cheers Thomas

1 Like

I thought openHAB3 is on the road to become more user friendly.
The more I see and play in openHAB3 I think it is getting even more complicated.

7 Likes

ah for the log i found ! this seems to work :slight_smile:
var logger = Java.type("org.slf4j.LoggerFactory").getLogger("org.eclipse.smarthome.automation.module.script.rulesupport.internal.shared.SimpleRule");
logger.error(message);