openHAB 3.0 Milestone 4 discussion

Hi Markus,

I don’t have any rules relating to setpoints, so I don’t believe this is the cause…

Cheers,

Paul

11 posts were split to a new topic: Zwave parameters rejected in 3.0M4

You could do that if everything is in text files, you want nothing to change & everything is compatible with OH3.

Some people use a change like this as an opportunity to make other changes - clean up rules, restructure groups, etc.

Ah I see what you mean. Yes all my items & rules are text files… they took a lot of work haha so one is inclined to try keep them going… I have observed from reading the forums that people seem to tie themselves in knots with rules and all those ‘threads’ running and spinning… :crazy_face: … I have experimented with Node Red and it seems a simpler and graphical way to go if one is writing rules involving anything to do with TIME/TIMERS.

Just a few questions.
How will the upgrade process from 2.5.x will look like?
What are the major changes from 2.5.x to 3.x ?

Is there a documention what will be newly introduced, and what features will be omitted?

Thanks in advance!

I believe a wizard was mentioned at one point but I’ve no idea on the current status of that.

No more support for 1.x bindings.

Changes in name spaces which shouldn’t impact users but might depending on how deep into the weeds users have gone (e.g. getting Items from the Item Registry in rules).

now and the first argument to createTimer no longer use Joda DateTime and instead use Java’s built in ZonedDateTime.

No more PaperUI or HABmin, both replaced by MainUI.

A much greater emphasis on building a semantic model with your Items so UIs like the following can automatically be created.

A list of breaking changes will probably be included, as always, in the announcements. I think there will be a migration tutorial. And there is a good start to getting started docs at Getting Started with OH3: rewriting the tutorial - 1. Introduction

1 Like

Thanks a lot for all of this infos.
Does “Basic UI” and HABPAnel “survive”?

They are under a separate menu in the upper right accessible from the opening screen

Hello,
how can I clear the homekit Pairings?
in OH 2.5 it was posible with “smarthome:homekit clearPairings” in the the OSGi console.

On my first try OH3 was only a device in Homekit and not as a bridge.

Have found a solution now it’s “openhab:homekit clearPairings”

There are no plans or works going on beyond what has been the upgrade process in older versions.
(the wizard is what’s already there if you start from scratch.)

All of the devs are busy on other fronts. We’re looking for contributors to write a migration tutorial.
Any takers ?

Unfortunately I’m focusing my efforts on the getting started tutorial and I’m not actually migrating my config but instead rebuilding it from scratch on OH 3 so am not a good candidate this time around. But I’m happy to help out where I can. I can definitely provide lessons learned from writing the 1.8 to 2.0 migration tutorial way back when. :wink:

May I ask a very stupid question?

How to I open the new ui within openhab3 and how to design it is there any example?

The new ui can be opened by calling the following address in a webbrowser http://yourOH3ip:8080
(Replace yourOH3ip with the ip address of your openhab server). If you are running on docker the port might be different.

A good starting point on building the ui is here: [wiki] Building Pages in the OH3 UI: documentation draft (1/3)

It is difficult to set the auto-update property for an item to false when using the new UI.

1. If no Auto-Update Metadata is defined for an item, auto-update defaults to active.
  2. By adding Auto-Update Metadata for an item and setting “Force auto-update” to ON you can set the auto-update property for an item to true.
  3. If “Force auto-update” is set to OFF the auto-update value is blank and auto-update defaults to active.
  4. It is (only?) possible to set auto-update for an item to false by using the Auto-Update Metadate code page and setting the auto-update value to “false”.

Rich, are going to use text files for 3.0 or are you going all in on the new UI? Given your long history and experience with OH I admit I’m curious!

Thanks,

~Mark

All in on the new UI. I still configuration control my configs in git, but my conf folder has next to nothing in it. Just three .persist files and a few JavaScript rules libraries that I import to use across multiple rule I’ve written in MainUI (and which I’m slowly making available for download and use at my openhab-rules-tools repo).

The code view for most stuff, the semantic model, and developers panel (alt-shift-d) make it so I’m as productive if not more productive than I ever was in VSCode. And there are some things that I really love that are unique to UI management of stuff. And everything loads so fast.

There are a few minor things I wish were easier but so far they are not deal breakers and I know why things are the way they are. The worst is dealing with my own custom Item metadata. I’ve had to resort to searching through the JSONDB file itself to figure out which Items have which metadata sometimes. If something doesn’t change there I can definitely see Item metadata developing cruft over time.

I’m also not planning on porting over my sitemap. I can create one or two simple Pages coupled with the automatically created ones based on the model eliminates the need.

1 Like

Please file an issue. If I understand correctly, what you are saying is that the only way turn off Force auto-update is through manually editing it in the code view. That would count as a bug in my book and it should be easily fixed.

One important usage of this forum is solution sharing. How can this be done if everything is migrated to the new UI ? For example, your design patterns.

Another aspect is migration. I’ve migrated from OH2 to OH3 with no problems besides DateTimes. If everything is in jsondb is it easy to migrate ? And take backup ?

I would love to also make the jump to the new UI.

One important usage of this forum is solution sharing. How can this be done if everything is migrated to the new UI ? For example, your design patterns.

In the main UI you can export the configuration and share this. On each rule, thing etc. you ahve a page “Code” that shows the configuration of your thing/rule. You can copy this and share it here with others. Also for old ITEM configuration files, theyy can be imported on OH3 on an admin page, so also the old design patterns can be shared.

Another aspect is migration. I’ve migrated from OH2 to OH3 with no problems besides DateTimes. If everything is in jsondb is it easy to migrate ? And take backup ?

Before updating to OH3 you should perform an backup in any case. So copy the userdata, conf and addons folder to another location in case you need them or the OH3 installation fails. As you mentioned the main change in the rules is the Joda time to ZonedDateTime. All other stuff from your rules should still run, unless if in jsondb or on a rules file.

1 Like