openHAB 3.0 Release discussion

@rlkoshak I hear what you guys are saying. But… Last year there was a stable release of v2.5.N each month, which was entirely focussed on new bindings, and binding bug fixes. Given the amount of work being done on bindings, I personally found that monthly cycle to be very appropriate. So I don’t really understand why people are now talking of 6 month cycles. I could understand having 6 month cycles at 3.N.x level for the core, but surely (IMHO) there should still/also be a 1 month cycle at 3.0.N level for the bindings. Or??

Hi,

I saw, that 3.0.1 is available on downloadpage:

On my openhabian installation “only” addons are available, not the openhab core package:
sudo apt upgrade -s
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet… Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:
dnsmasq-base libgudev-1.0-0 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libndp0 libnm0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libteamdctl0 modemmanager
Verwenden Sie »sudo apt autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
mutt openhab-addons
2 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
Inst mutt [1.10.1-2.1+deb10u4] (1.10.1-2.1+deb10u5 Raspbian:stable [armhf])
Inst openhab-addons [3.0.0-1] (3.0.1-1 Bintray:stable [all])
Conf mutt (1.10.1-2.1+deb10u5 Raspbian:stable [armhf])
Conf openhab-addons (3.0.1-1 Bintray:stable [all])

Is this correct?
Is there a changelog available?

Thanks in advance

Thank’s for the release notes.

Is it ok to update, or should the 3.0.1 core package also be available with apt upgrade?
For me only addons package is shown:

sudo apt upgrade -s
mutt openhab-addons

I also have done a sudo apt upgrade, but this didn’t changed anything

It look’s like the 3.0.1 core package is missing in the repo:

For 3.0.0 it look’s like this:

I assume something went wrong, when syncing the repo?

The 3.0.1 build didn’t go well, therefore it wasn’t announced yet either. I have wiped it from the binary repos and a new build is underway - hopefully it’ll be available by tonight.

5 Likes

Thank’s for the info.

After sudo apt update, addons are still offered:
sudo apt upgrade -s
Paketlisten werden gelesen… Fertig
Abhängigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesen… Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnet… Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benötigt:
dnsmasq-base libgudev-1.0-0 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libndp0 libnm0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libteamdctl0
modemmanager
Verwenden Sie »sudo apt autoremove«, um sie zu entfernen.
mutt openhab-addons

Would this be the first M1 build or is this some bugfix and is there a separate 3.1 M1 build also upcoming shortly as well?

That’s a patch release. A 3.1 M1 might come next weekend, if all goes well.

2 Likes

That was an exception cause by the fact that OH 2.5 core had ceased development but it was known that it was going to be quite some time before OH 3 was ready for release. Now that OH 3 is released we are returning to the normal release cycle which I will repeat again:

1. SNAPSHOTS: daily builds with the absolutely latest code
  2. Testing Milestone Releases: Monthly releases of the next version of OH (in this case 3.1) with all the code up to when the milestone was releases
  3. Release: Every six months a point release is fixed as the “release” version
  4. In rare circumstances a fix or change may be back ported to the current release or even a past release version if the problem is severe enough. Those will be third level point releases (e.g. the soon to be released 3.0.1)

If you want to use monthly updates, that will still be available to you. But it’s going to be on the future release, not the current or past releases. That’s the way it’s always been except for that period when development on 2.5 core had stopped but 3.0 was not released. The monthly binding release was to allow developers to continue to develop and fix bugs on their add-ons rather than stop all add-on development for the nearly year long period between 2.5.0 and 3.0.0.

Unless and until something changes, which seems unlikely in the short term, this is how OH releases will be managed. As OH core develops there are changes made to the core periodically which are not backward compatible. That means that developers would have to maintain two or more versions of the binding at the same time which will nearly double the amount of work for every bug fix and change.

There were discussions in GitHub about potentially separating the binding versions from the OH core versions which would allow for independent release cycles. But I’ve lost track of the discussion and don’t know what/if a conclusion about whether and how to go about implementing that would take place.

7 Likes

Still can only upgrade the add-ons not the distro via apt-get

All build artifacts successfully build this time - I’ll do an official announcement within the next hour.

Update 3.0.2 is working. Homematic Binding up and Running
Thx for fix

Ingo

3.0.1-2 to be precise.

Running openHABian with current version on openhab3
After upgrading to 3.0.1-2 OH3 got stuck and nothing happened for 10minutes, same after a reboot.

So I had a look into the console, which showed nearly all bindings and netty and some GUIs on Resolved, after bundle:start xxx of them all, now it seems everything runs again. Strange…

@Kai : just to be clear: the new 3.0.1 does not include many changes on bindings merged since last Christmas? For example, new features for the Sonos bindings are not included?
99℅ of the changes for the bindings will be available in 3.1 at end of June?

Correct, as per semantic versioning, this is a pure patch release, addressing some major or critical bugs only for anybody on the stable release path.
See @rlkoshak excellent summary of the different versions above.

Updated my Integration and later also the production system to 3.0.1-2. Everything looking fine.
Only had to restart KODI Binding, as I had log messages, that the mediacenter gone offline every hour…

Fresh 3.0.1 installation, latest updates:
sudo openhabian-config > 50-Backup/Restore > 50-Backup Openhabian Config
is not working as expected. When I look inside the ZIP file of the backup, no files in /conf are backed up. It means no items, items, scripts, things… there is always only txt file containing what should be inside.

Thanks, i dont know where to write it.
Michal

Maybe you try:

sudo openhab-cli backup

I created a backup with this method (3.0.1) and in conf directory I see .items, .rules and so on.

you can restore with:

sudo openhab-cli restore /var/lib/openhab/backups/FILENAME.zip

(For restore you first have to stop OH)