openHAB 3.0 Release discussion

There is a discussion about a marketplace but nothing has been done to implement it.

I donā€™t know if this is the best place to put this question, but what are the plans for bugfix releases for 3.0? Iā€™ve seen rumours of a 3.0.1ā€¦ Iā€™m on 3.0 now and Iā€™ve been having small problems here and there which I think all have been fixed in latest snapshots. Is it a good idea to jump on to snapshots (on a live running production environment) or is there a 3.0.1 somewhere around the corner so itā€™s better to wait for that?

I think we are heading back to the old standard way of doing releases. That means there will be a 3.1 M1 release at the end of this month which is a roll up of all the changes up to that date. OH 3.1 will be released in July (ish). The milestone releases (M1 for example) will be in the testing repos.

Only very rarely have there been fixes back ported to create third level releases (e.g. 3.0.1). That doesnā€™t mean it canā€™t or wonā€™t happen, itā€™s just a rare case.

3 Likes

Thanks! A milestone works for me and end of months is almost here, so Iā€™ll just hang tight then!

1 Like

Can I install a M1 and there after the 3.1 stable?

Of course. But youā€™d have to change from the testing repo to the release repo when 3.1 is released.

But does this mean the actual binding versions with a lot of bug fixes will deployed only every half a year?

The bindings and core are code, built, and released in lock step. If you run the SNAPSHOTS you are running all the code merged into the core and all the bindings up to the last couple of days.

@rlkoshak I hear what you guys are saying. Butā€¦ Last year there was a stable release of v2.5.N each month, which was entirely focussed on new bindings, and binding bug fixes. Given the amount of work being done on bindings, I personally found that monthly cycle to be very appropriate. So I donā€™t really understand why people are now talking of 6 month cycles. I could understand having 6 month cycles at 3.N.x level for the core, but surely (IMHO) there should still/also be a 1 month cycle at 3.0.N level for the bindings. Or??

Hi,

I saw, that 3.0.1 is available on downloadpage:

On my openhabian installation ā€œonlyā€ addons are available, not the openhab core package:
sudo apt upgrade -s
Paketlisten werden gelesenā€¦ Fertig
AbhƤngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesenā€¦ Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnetā€¦ Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benƶtigt:
dnsmasq-base libgudev-1.0-0 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libndp0 libnm0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libteamdctl0 modemmanager
Verwenden Sie Ā»sudo apt autoremoveĀ«, um sie zu entfernen.
Die folgenden Pakete werden aktualisiert (Upgrade):
mutt openhab-addons
2 aktualisiert, 0 neu installiert, 0 zu entfernen und 0 nicht aktualisiert.
Inst mutt [1.10.1-2.1+deb10u4] (1.10.1-2.1+deb10u5 Raspbian:stable [armhf])
Inst openhab-addons [3.0.0-1] (3.0.1-1 Bintray:stable [all])
Conf mutt (1.10.1-2.1+deb10u5 Raspbian:stable [armhf])
Conf openhab-addons (3.0.1-1 Bintray:stable [all])

Is this correct?
Is there a changelog available?

Thanks in advance

Thankā€™s for the release notes.

Is it ok to update, or should the 3.0.1 core package also be available with apt upgrade?
For me only addons package is shown:

sudo apt upgrade -s
mutt openhab-addons

I also have done a sudo apt upgrade, but this didnā€™t changed anything

It lookā€™s like the 3.0.1 core package is missing in the repo:

For 3.0.0 it lookā€™s like this:

I assume something went wrong, when syncing the repo?

The 3.0.1 build didnā€™t go well, therefore it wasnā€™t announced yet either. I have wiped it from the binary repos and a new build is underway - hopefully itā€™ll be available by tonight.

5 Likes

Thankā€™s for the info.

After sudo apt update, addons are still offered:
sudo apt upgrade -s
Paketlisten werden gelesenā€¦ Fertig
AbhƤngigkeitsbaum wird aufgebaut.
Statusinformationen werden eingelesenā€¦ Fertig
Paketaktualisierung (Upgrade) wird berechnetā€¦ Fertig
Die folgenden Pakete wurden automatisch installiert und werden nicht mehr benƶtigt:
dnsmasq-base libgudev-1.0-0 libmbim-glib4 libmbim-proxy libmm-glib0 libndp0 libnm0 libqmi-glib5 libqmi-proxy libteamdctl0
modemmanager
Verwenden Sie Ā»sudo apt autoremoveĀ«, um sie zu entfernen.
mutt openhab-addons

Would this be the first M1 build or is this some bugfix and is there a separate 3.1 M1 build also upcoming shortly as well?

Thatā€™s a patch release. A 3.1 M1 might come next weekend, if all goes well.

2 Likes

That was an exception cause by the fact that OH 2.5 core had ceased development but it was known that it was going to be quite some time before OH 3 was ready for release. Now that OH 3 is released we are returning to the normal release cycle which I will repeat again:

1. SNAPSHOTS: daily builds with the absolutely latest code
  2. Testing Milestone Releases: Monthly releases of the next version of OH (in this case 3.1) with all the code up to when the milestone was releases
  3. Release: Every six months a point release is fixed as the ā€œreleaseā€ version
  4. In rare circumstances a fix or change may be back ported to the current release or even a past release version if the problem is severe enough. Those will be third level point releases (e.g. the soon to be released 3.0.1)

If you want to use monthly updates, that will still be available to you. But itā€™s going to be on the future release, not the current or past releases. Thatā€™s the way itā€™s always been except for that period when development on 2.5 core had stopped but 3.0 was not released. The monthly binding release was to allow developers to continue to develop and fix bugs on their add-ons rather than stop all add-on development for the nearly year long period between 2.5.0 and 3.0.0.

Unless and until something changes, which seems unlikely in the short term, this is how OH releases will be managed. As OH core develops there are changes made to the core periodically which are not backward compatible. That means that developers would have to maintain two or more versions of the binding at the same time which will nearly double the amount of work for every bug fix and change.

There were discussions in GitHub about potentially separating the binding versions from the OH core versions which would allow for independent release cycles. But Iā€™ve lost track of the discussion and donā€™t know what/if a conclusion about whether and how to go about implementing that would take place.

7 Likes

Still can only upgrade the add-ons not the distro via apt-get

All build artifacts successfully build this time - Iā€™ll do an official announcement within the next hour.