OpenHAB 3.1 expire command does not always work

Hello Friends,
I require some assistance configuring Expiration Timers for a few Items controlling Z-Wave switches.
I recently had to format my Raspberry Pi OS, so I took the opportunity to update my OpenHAB system to version 3.1 as a fresh install (building everything anew).
The system is installed on a Raspberry Pi 4 4GB running Raspberry Pi OS with Desktop.
I added a few Z-Wave Things and created corresponding Items to control the Z-Wave switches.
I would like two Items to automatically turn OFF after 1h0m0s, and one Item that needs to automatically turn OFF after 1h30m0s.
I defined the Items in OpenHAB and added the Metadata for the Expiration Timer, but the Items don’t turn OFF when the timer was supposed to finish.
The weird thing is, I tested all three Items configured with an Expiration Timer of 0h5m0s and the three of them turned OFF properly.
Am I doing something wrong?
Any help would be much appreciated.

See

3 Likes

Thank you very much, @rossko57, for pointing me to the cause of the problem :pray:
I’m sorry for not understanding the proper way to solve this issue, but could you explain how I should proceed?
Do I need to create a separate rules file?
What commands should I include in it?

Yes, use rules with a Timer. Your choice of rules language (except Blockly has no timing functions yet). Many examples in this forum.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll try it tomorrow :pray::pray:

You can still use the expire if you set up a virtual/dummy switch as it will not be affected by the z-wave updates.
I use this method all the time.

2 Likes

Also a great suggestion
Here is a design pattern which explains the concept by our own illustrious Rich Koshak

1 Like

Thank you friends for the good advice.
Can someone suggest how I should go about writing a script in the UI Rule creator?
Previously, when I used OpenHAB 2.5.11 I had a rule file (in /etc/openhab2/rules) for automatically turning off the water boiler, but when I paste the full text I had in the file into OpenHAB 3.1 Rule DSL (v1) it does not work.
Am I doing something wrong?

rule "Turn Off Water Boiler"
when
         Item Boiler_Switch changed from OFF to ON
then
var Timer myTimer = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(60), [ |
    logInfo("rules", "Timer activated")
    sendCommand(Boiler_Switch, OFF)
])

end

I’m not sure because not using OH3 yet but I think in a UI create rule, you don’t put the ‘rule’ ‘when’ or ‘then’, you only paste into the script box the portion of the rule between then and end
the UI takes care of the when part and rule name ect.

2 Likes

You just need the code for the then part as you have already coded the event of when changed from off to on in the UI.

1 Like

Or if you are comfortable using text rules, continue to use text rules. Paste the whole show into a xxx.rules file and stuff works as it did in OH2.

1 Like

This worked. Thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

Many thanks to all of you for the help :pray:

Good day everyone,
Small question, is the timer feature limited to 60 minutes maximum?
I defined one DSL rule to turn off one item automatically after 60 minutes, and it works great.
Rule 1, Item 1:

var Timer myTimer = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(60), [ |
    sendCommand(Boiler_Switch, OFF)
])

However, when I defined a second DSL rule to turn off a second item automatically after 90 minutes, the item actually turned off after 30 minutes.
I used exactly similar commands in both cases, except for the timer length.

Rule 2, Item 2:

var Timer myTimer = createTimer(now.plusMinutes(90), [ |
    sendCommand(Bathroom_Switch1, OFF)
])

This has nothing to do with the expire feature, the topic of this thread.

No.

Note that if your rule runs once, it will create a timer.
If it runs again, it will create another independent timer, but not cancel or destroy the first one. That will still go off 90 minutes after the first run.

However, I would guess you have fallen into the “orphaned timer by file editing” pitfall.

1 Like

You are correct, I apologize. Next time I’ll ask a question, I’ll double check it directly relates to the thread topic. If not, I’ll search for the right thread to post the questions on.

Thank you. This explains why my item would stop after inconsistent times. I wasn’t aware timers work independently of the item itself.
I guess it’s time for me to learn how to use the virtual/dummy switch suggestion.

Or learn how to use rules-managed Timers. They can be cancelled or rescheduled.

2 Likes