openHAB 3.3 Release discussion

Hello,

After upgrading to 3.3 I have an issue with the node-red.
After a Deploy the Nodes openhab2-in2 do retrieve the current value’s, but after this, the don’t recieve any values for Update of Command and therefor nothing happens.
The Nodes for Get en Out seem to work fine.

I had more issue’s at first with Node-Red but after restarting the service they where resolved.
It’s unclear to me if I need to make the changes from @randomname ans if so, in which file?

Has anyone an idea?

Thank you!

Regards, Edwin

After upgrading from OH 3.2 to OH 3.3 I got some issues with my Zwave smoke detectors FGSD-002. I have a rule that updates a datetime item whenever the smoke detector updates a value like temperature, and then a rule that checks that the system has received an update from the smoke detectors within the last two hours. The smoke detectors are therefore set to wake up every 4200 seconds. This was working without any problems before the upgrade, but after the upgrade they are updating much more seldom and I get alerts about no communication all the time. Anyone that knows if anything regarding this has changed, or if I missed some steps during the upgrade?

The issue is now fixed. Confirm whether or not you are running the latest version: 1.4.2

Here: node-red-contrib-openhab3 (node) - Node-RED

1 Like

Thanks!
I read it was sovled, but there were not apt upgrade anymore.
I just found out I had to update the nodes from Node-Red itself. :roll_eyes:
Learning every day.

It’s resolved now.

1 Like

An Item’s an Item. There is not such thing as “real” Items and “fake” Items.

As Jan suggests, you can try to delete the Items through the REST API even if it’s no able to return the Item.

Just a note for others who might get caught here. You need to be running at least V2 of Node Red for these nodes to install.

Hi folks,

just to mention it.
I had the same behavior according to what @BananaBender stated above for the 32/64it variants of the openhabian images.

I solved it now by using the previous openhabian image release 1.7.3 and let it do its update/upgrade stuff to get to the current version…

Just to be sure, I tried it with different SD cards (SanDisk and Intenso, new and used) and with different Pi (2 and 3)…

Cheers
Jonathan

1 Like

I’ve had a habit of updating my raspberry pi with apt update && apt upgrade -y && reboot but i should probably stop doing that, this time openHAB 3.3 didn’t like getting interrupted on its first startup and refused to start properly after the reboot.
apt reinstall openhab fixed it. Everything else seems to work as expected.

Just a heads up for all the HABApp users:

Moving to OH3.3. effectively breaks HABApp because there have been some late changes which I have not caught in time.
Please wait with the openHAB update until the release of the next official HABapp version.
I’ll make an announcement as usual.

If you want to help you can always participate in the beta test.

4 Likes

Upgrade experience was somehow mixed.

Phase 1:
I upgraded from 3.2 to 3.3 and after the upgrade nothing worked anymore, was not possible to open the UI, rules did not work, it was running but somehow not.
I tried all fixes of openhabian, but no change.
I thought I let it run as it may need to upgrade files in the background, but even after 2h nothing worked.
I decided to restart the whole server.

Phase 2:
OpenHAB UI started, still nothing was working, all Things were grayed out.
Log was full of errors regarding MAP() values und rrd4j persistance.
I let it run for some hours and restarted the server.

Phase 3 (now):
Things were still greyed out. I decided to uninstall and reinstall the telegram binding. Suddenly all Things went green, UI was responding.
Still log is now full of JDBC errors

UPDATE:
I am not sure what caused all of this but my persistence configurations were all not working anymore after the upgrade. Had to start from Scratch with a mysql persistence…

2022-07-07 22:35:51.774 [WARN ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: failed to open connection: Failed to initialize pool: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

2022-07-07 22:35:51.774 [WARN ] [jdbc.internal.JdbcPersistenceService] - JDBC::store: No connection to database. Cannot persist state '233.963 V' for item 'Outlet19_Voltage (Type=NumberItem, State=233.963 V, Label=Outlet19 Voltage, Category=outlet, Groups=[Outlets])'! Will retry connecting to database when error count:0 equals errReconnectThreshold:0

2022-07-07 22:35:51.778 [INFO ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: Driver is available::Yank setupDataSource

2022-07-07 22:35:51.779 [WARN ] [.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource] - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.

2022-07-07 22:35:54.845 [WARN ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: failed to open connection: Failed to initialize pool: Communications link failure

The last packet sent successfully to the server was 0 milliseconds ago. The driver has not received any packets from the server.

2022-07-07 22:35:54.846 [INFO ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: Driver is available::Yank setupDataSource

2022-07-07 22:35:54.846 [WARN ] [.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource] - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.

2022-07-07 22:35:57.918 [WARN ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: failed to open connection: Failed to initialize pool: Communications link failure

2022-07-07 22:35:57.918 [WARN ] [jdbc.internal.JdbcPersistenceService] - JDBC::store: No connection to database. Cannot persist state '0.064 A' for item 'Outlet20_Current (Type=NumberItem, State=0.064 A, Label=Outlet20 Current, Category=outlet, Groups=[Outlets])'! Will retry connecting to database when error count:0 equals errReconnectThreshold:0

2022-07-07 22:35:57.923 [INFO ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: Driver is available::Yank setupDataSource

2022-07-07 22:35:57.923 [WARN ] [.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource] - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.

2022-07-07 22:36:00.087 [INFO ] [org.openhab.core.model.script.FILE  ] - Run Rule: periodic_timer_scenes.rules - periodic every 1 MINUTE

2022-07-07 22:36:00.990 [WARN ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: failed to open connection: Failed to initialize pool: Communications link failure

2022-07-07 22:36:00.990 [INFO ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: Driver is available::Yank setupDataSource

2022-07-07 22:36:00.990 [WARN ] [.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource] - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.

2022-07-07 22:36:04.062 [WARN ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: failed to open connection: Failed to initialize pool: Communications link failure

2022-07-07 22:36:04.062 [WARN ] [jdbc.internal.JdbcPersistenceService] - JDBC::store: No connection to database. Cannot persist state '233.287072 V' for item 'Outlet16_Voltage (Type=NumberItem, State=233.287072 V, Label=Outlet16 Voltage, Category=outlet, Groups=[Outlets])'! Will retry connecting to database when error count:0 equals errReconnectThreshold:0

2022-07-07 22:36:04.066 [INFO ] [persistence.jdbc.internal.JdbcMapper] - JDBC::openConnection: Driver is available::Yank setupDataSource

2022-07-07 22:36:04.067 [WARN ] [.zaxxer.hikari.util.DriverDataSource] - Registered driver with driverClassName=com.mysql.jdbc.Driver was not found, trying direct instantiation.

I updated from 3.2.0 to 3.3.0 (docker image) and cant’ get it to work anymore.
All things show up as UNINITIALIZED. Looking at the log shows constanly added exceptions of this kind:

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty.websocket/websocket-common/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty.websocket/websocket-client/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-util/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-proxy/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-client/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty.websocket/websocket-api/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-io/9.4.43.v20210629

Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty/jetty-http/9.4.43.v20210629

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.MavenDownloadManager$MavenDownloader.<init>(MavenDownloadManager.java:91)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.MavenDownloadManager.createDownloader(MavenDownloadManager.java:72)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.Subsystem.downloadBundles(Subsystem.java:457)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.Subsystem.downloadBundles(Subsystem.java:452)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.SubsystemResolver.resolve(SubsystemResolver.java:224)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:399)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.doProvision(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1069)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.lambda$doProvisionInThread$13(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1004)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1128)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:628)

at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)

Suppressed: java.io.IOException: Error downloading mvn:org.eclipse.jetty.websocket/websocket-common/9.4.43.v20210629

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.run(AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.java:77)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304)

... 3 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact org.eclipse.jetty.websocket:websocket-client:jar:9.4.43.v20210629: [Could not find artifact org.eclipse.jetty.websocket:websocket-client:jar:9.4.43.v20210629 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)]

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.configureIOException(AetherBasedResolver.java:803)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:774)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:657)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:598)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:565)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.MavenDownloadTask.download(MavenDownloadTask.java:52)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.run(AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.java:60)

... 6 more

Suppressed: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Could not find artifact org.eclipse.jetty.websocket:websocket-client:jar:9.4.43.v20210629 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.ArtifactTransportListener.transferFailed(ArtifactTransportListener.java:48)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$TaskRunner.run(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:368)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.util.concurrency.RunnableErrorForwarder$1.run(RunnableErrorForwarder.java:75)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$DirectExecutor.execute(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:642)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector.get(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:262)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.performDownloads(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:489)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:390)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:215)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:192)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveArtifact(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:247)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:767)

... 11 more

Caused by: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Error resolving artifact org.eclipse.jetty.websocket:websocket-client:jar:9.4.43.v20210629

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:413)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifacts(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:215)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolveArtifact(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:192)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultRepositorySystem.resolveArtifact(DefaultRepositorySystem.java:247)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:767)

Later continuously:

Suppressed: java.io.IOException: Error downloading mvn:com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat/jackson-dataformat-cbor/2.12.5

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.run(AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.java:77)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:515)

at java.base/java.util.concurrent.ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor$ScheduledFutureTask.run(ScheduledThreadPoolExecutor.java:304)

... 3 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-cbor:jar:2.12.5: [Could not find artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-cbor:jar:2.12.5 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)]

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.configureIOException(AetherBasedResolver.java:803)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:774)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:657)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:598)

at org.ops4j.pax.url.mvn.internal.AetherBasedResolver.resolve(AetherBasedResolver.java:565)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.MavenDownloadTask.download(MavenDownloadTask.java:52)

at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.download.impl.AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.run(AbstractRetryableDownloadTask.java:60)

... 6 more

Suppressed: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Could not find artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-cbor:jar:2.12.5 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.ArtifactTransportListener.transferFailed(ArtifactTransportListener.java:48)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$TaskRunner.run(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:368)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.util.concurrency.RunnableErrorForwarder$1.run(RunnableErrorForwarder.java:75)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector$DirectExecutor.execute(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:642)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.connector.basic.BasicRepositoryConnector.get(BasicRepositoryConnector.java:262)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.performDownloads(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:489)

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:390)

... 11 more

Caused by: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Error resolving artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-cbor:jar:2.12.5

at shaded.org.eclipse.aether.internal.impl.DefaultArtifactResolver.resolve(DefaultArtifactResolver.java:413)

... 11 more

Suppressed: java.io.IOException: Error downloading mvn:com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat/jackson-dataformat-yaml/2.12.5

... 3 more

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Error resolving artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-yaml:jar:2.12.5: [Could not find artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-yaml:jar:2.12.5 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)]

... 6 more

Suppressed: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.transfer.ArtifactNotFoundException: Could not find artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-yaml:jar:2.12.5 in openhab (https://openhab.jfrog.io/openhab/libs-release/)

... 11 more

Caused by: shaded.org.eclipse.aether.resolution.ArtifactResolutionException: Error resolving artifact com.fasterxml.jackson.dataformat:jackson-dataformat-yaml:jar:2.12.5

... 11 more

What could possibly be the reason for this and how do I fix it? I couldn’t find any similar topics yet.

Edit: I have reverted to a backup, which is working fine. Have tried the update again, same failed result. If no one has a solution for this, I will continue using 3.2.0 for now, hoping this is something that will be fixed for the next release. If there is something I should or could try to help fixing this, please let me know.

3.3.0 - Release Build,

Jython version: 2.7.2.final
Operating system: Linux
OS Version: 4.19.0-21-amd64
Java vendor: Azul Systems, Inc.
Java VM name: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM
Java runtime name: OpenJDK Runtime Environment
Java runtime version: 11.0.15+10-LTS

Unexpected exception from an event executor: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space

Not sure what is happening and how to find out the reason, I thought it was running smoothly but now java is running close to 200% cpu (2 cpus for the vm) using 60+% memory (2GB available) and actions like a button click take many minutes to get processed.

I have a button in habpanel which makes a googletts voice to tell me the time. It just now told me “it’s 15:28” when it actually was 15:35 already. But I had clicked the button on 15:26, it took ~2 min for the buttonclick to reach the rule which takes the time and formats the message, then 7 min for that string to reach a different rule which hands it over to the speech engine and finally says it.

I restarted openhab.service twice already, rebooted the vm.
Of course I’m not sure that this effect is specific to 3.3.0-1, it’s just what I have running.

What could I do to get to the culprit that eats up java processing and heap? Is it advisable to downgrade oh to contrast the situation with a prior build?

Update:
oh well, sudo openhab-cli clean-cache after stopping oh may have done the needed relief.

1 Like

I’ve been struggling with the update from 3.2 to 3.3. The NetAtmo changes so far have been the easiest to fix. The remaining issue(s) I’m stuck on are:

1. Persistence (RRD4J) appears to be saving values, however the restoring values at start is not working. In the log I see the loading of the persistence file, but not the line for when persistence logs that it is ready to work
  2. Rules are not running. The log shows the rules being loaded, however they are never run.

I’ve increased the general logging to INFO and I do not see any failures, so do not know how to track down the failure(s). I acknowledge the issues might be related if something is blocking the initialization. Any guidance/help is greatly appreciated.

Maybe I have an idea @smf007, I had the same behavior regarding the rules when my OH3 ran on Java 17 instead of Java 11. Refer to this post for details on how to fix it.

@davidpace thanks for the idea. I double checked and I’m using Zulu Java 11, the same as with OpenHAB 3.2.

openjdk 11.0.15 2022-04-19 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Zulu11.56+19-CA (build 11.0.15+10-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Zulu11.56+19-CA (build 11.0.15+10-LTS, mixed mode)

Same problem - same solution.
Thought it was a DB issue - option 82 etc 6500.0

Hello Friends,
i upgraded to 3.3 and my mobile app was empty. No problem so farbecaue it was setup ugly. But the Tabs Location, Equipment and Property was also empty. I tried different thing and didn’t get a step forward.
Now i found out the Semantic Model didn’t work. All my locations which worked in 3.2 without any problem are now “non-semantic”.

All configurations are done by config-file.

Do you have a fix for this?

Additional Info: When i setup a location via MainUI, it disappears instantly after “Save”, but it’s in the Items-List

What a easy solution:
The Issue was:
bundle:list
209 │ Waiting │ 80 │ 3.3.0 │ openHAB Core :: Bundles :: Semantics
after bundle:reload 209 everything works fine.

For DEV: A notification would be nice like “there is a bundle not running”

See a similar behaviour here also. It appeared somewhere during the 3.3.0 snapshot history. Here it usually looks like this:

1. First OH start after an upgrade: everything seems to run normally but bundles end at 253 of 335. These are “Active”.
  2. A 2nd start of OH then shows all bundles but many of them not active, even below number 253. Then a manual start of the affected bundles is required.
  3. After that, further OH starts run normal.

After leaving it a couple days, I started looking at the runlevels of the bundles in case it was all related to some race condition. Restarting the persistence bundle immediately resulted in the saved “onstart” values being loaded. I then tried restarting the various rules bundles in different orders to no luck… then magically 9 hours later the log finally showed the rules engine having started and all of my rules started working. There was nothing in the Log during those 9 hrs, so no indication about what was going on.