OpenHab 3 and Alexa and Google Assistant

• Platform information: OpenHabian 2.5 moving to Openhabian 3
    • Hardware: Raspberry Pi 4 8gb
    • Java Runtime Environment: which java platform is used and what version
    • openHAB version:
  • Issue of the topic: please be detailed explaining your issue

I’ve been happily using OpenHabian (Paper UI) with no sitemap or things or items files. I’m looking to move to OpenHabian 3 and also want to do some Alexa or Google Assistant integration.

I’ve looked at the documentation, but I am not clear if I can do this without having to have item, thing or sitemap files.

Sorry if I’ve asked a dumb question, but I haven’t seen this posted. Thanks in advance, I’ve used this forum to get answers to lots of questions, without ever having to post :slight_smile:

You do not need to have any file base configs. But you will want to upgrade your 2.5 and not just try to copy your current configs over to a newly installed 3.1 install.

1 Like

Thank you for the reply, that’s good news! For the upgrade, I’d planned on using another Pi 4 8gb, and starting from new. Once I have everything moved over to the new setup, I could then recycle the other Pi 4 to be a test server.

You can do it all through the Main UI just make a item for the item you want to control add metadata

If you haven’t already bought your pi just get the 4gig one then you can run 32bit or 64bit os. Memory will not be a problem if you are just running openHAB on 4gig

1 Like

Took a full backup of my Openhabain 2.5 and then ran the upgrade as you suggested. Just completed the upgrade from Openhabian 2.5 to 3.1.0. Worked perfect, added in Mosquitto and configured it with the same username:password as my old embedded broker. Then pointed my things to the new broker and everything is up and running. Logged into myOpenhab.org and all looks good. Next step will be to set up a test system and try Google Assistant.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

I recently upgraded to V3 after advice from this forum and I have basically a functioning system. Ok I should point out I have a very basic OH installation, it monitors a few IP addresses and I have one Wemos D1 Mini connected via Mosquitto and that is working fine.

I have google connected and it can turn my Wemos off and on, however Google is not polling OH for updates, so if a Switch status changes then Google does not know.

I also have Openhab skill loaded onto my Alexa and it is logged into the OH cloud service. However Alexa does not find any devices.

This is my latest effort
Switch Wemos_2 [ “Switchable” ] {
channel=“mqtt:topic:broker:Wemos_2:switch”,
autoupdate=“true”,
alexa=“Activity”,
ga=“Switch”
}

I have also used main ui to see if it can give me any clues. From what I have read the Alexa integration is being rewritten however I have no idea how that project is going.

Hopefully by the time I have my smart home built and integrated into OH any bugs with the Alexa and Google integration well be behind us.