openHAB 3 not working after upgrading RC2 to stable release

I just upgraded from OH3 RC2 to the stable 3.0 release. Afterwards I rebooted, and even though the service is running, I don’t get any log entrys, no UI, nothing. What can I do?!

I upgraded through the milestones and the RCs, and never had a problem.

What branch in openHABian-config do I have to use? stable? Or openHAB 3?

When I update everything via openHABian-config, and try to load a backup, it seems to be looking in the openHAB 2 backup folder, because it only lists backups from my OH2…

This is really frustrating. Please someone help. :frowning:

Since OH stable was announced an hour ago, I would guess that openHABian needs to be updated before you can use it. But I could be wrong about that.

Ok, openHABian-config told me that OH3 was released, so I did upgrade right away. Guess I shouldn’t have. Now nothing is working and I have no clue what to do.

OH3 RC2 was running just fine before, and also all of the other Milestones and RC1.

I’ll try to be patient and manually close all my roller shutters tonight… :slight_smile:

Oh, well if that’s the case then it sounds like the update was already made.

I’m guessing you didn’t make a backup. I’d try rebooting again and just letting it sit for awhile before prodding at it too much.

Fortunately I did create a backup before.

I already rebooted several times, tried all the buttons to install openHAB 3 / upgrading the system in openHABian-config, now I was even able to restore my OH3 backup, but the system is still not running. But I do get something in the openhab.log now:

[20:25:18] openhabian@openHAB:~$ cat /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
2020-12-21 20:25:25.578 [ERROR] [ternal.service.BootFeaturesInstaller] - Error installing boot features
org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-runtime-base; type=karaf.feature; version="[3.0.0,3.0.0]"; filter:="(&(osgi.identity=openhab-runtime-base)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=3.0.0)(version<=3.0.0))" [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-runtime-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-runtime-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-core-io-rest-voice; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-core-base; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-core-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.core.automation; type=osgi.bundle; version="[3.0.0,3.0.0]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))" [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"]]]]]
        at org.apache.felix.resolver.Candidates$MissingRequirementError.toException(Candidates.java:1343) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.doResolve(ResolverImpl.java:392) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.resolve(ResolverImpl.java:378) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.resolve(ResolverImpl.java:332) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.SubsystemResolver.resolve(SubsystemResolver.java:257) ~[?:?]
        at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:393) ~[?:?]
        at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.doProvision(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1062) ~[?:?]
        at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.lambda$doProvisionInThread$13(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:998) ~[?:?]
        at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:1.8.0_275]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:1.8.0_275]
        at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:1.8.0_275]
        at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:1.8.0_275]
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve openhab-runtime-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-runtime-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-core-io-rest-voice; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-core-base; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-core-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.core.automation; type=osgi.bundle; version="[3.0.0,3.0.0]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))" [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"]]]]
        at org.apache.felix.resolver.Candidates$MissingRequirementError.toException(Candidates.java:1343) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.12.100.jar:?]
        ... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-io-rest-voice/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-core-base; type=karaf.feature [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-core-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.core.automation; type=osgi.bundle; version="[3.0.0,3.0.0]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))" [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"]]]
        ... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve openhab-core-base/3.0.0: missing requirement [openhab-core-base/3.0.0] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.core.automation; type=osgi.bundle; version="[3.0.0,3.0.0]"; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))" [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"]]
        ... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core.automation/3.0.0] osgi.wiring.package; filter:="(&(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core)(version>=3.0.0)(!(version>=4.0.0)))" [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"]
        ... 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve org.openhab.core/3.0.0: missing requirement [org.openhab.core/3.0.0] osgi.ee; filter:="(&(osgi.ee=JavaSE)(version=11))"

That’s weird that your backup isn’t working.

I’d be inclined to do a scratch install on fresh SD card, and then restore your backup there. That’s my personal plan for upgrading, as I don’t want to mess with my working 2.5 installation.

I meant an OH backup, not a backup of the whole SSD. openHAB isn’t working at all, so it makes sense that it doesn’t work after importing a backup, I guess.

There seem to be dependencies missing, I have no clue why that is.

I am hoping that I don’t have to do everything from scratch… I have other stuff on that system as well (Grafana, InfluxDB with data, deCONZ)… It would definitly suck if I had to do everything from scratch again. Just the other day I installed everything from scratch to Milestone 2 or so. :slight_smile:

Ugh. Hopefully you can get it working, but at least you know exactly what needs to be done!

I have a habit of making complete copies of my SD card whenever I do anything major, but that’s obviously not as easy with an SSD. I’m looking forward to implementing the SD mirroring when I jump into OH3.

I don’t know what needs to be done :slight_smile: At this point I’m just pressing buttons in openhabian-config (switching between “stable” and “openHAB 3” branch, hitting “Install or upgrade to openHAB release 3” over and over again… but so far, that didn’t help.

I’m hoping some of the gurus might help me here, or that indeed something still needs to be updated in openhabian-config. I would suspect so, as there are still the “stable” and the “openHAB 3” branch, and I think as OH3 was released, there shouldn’t be a difference between the two?

This discussion looks like it might be similar, but I would have expected you to already have Java 11 since you were on RC2. So it might just be that you need to clear the cache.

1 Like

hey man, sounds like the same story as for me.

Installer/Updater didn’t install Java 11 for me, was still on 8.
openhabian Menu 46 = Java 11 Install

my steps to success in short:

1. check the log = cat /var/log/openhab/openhab.log
  2. check if you can log in into console = sudo ssh openhab@localhost -p 8101
  3. check the log there too = log:display
  4. stop openhab = sudo systemctl stop openhab
  5. clear cache and tmp = sudo openhab-cli clean-cache
  6. start openhab with = sudo /bin/systemctl start openhab.service
3 Likes

If you want to know what java is installed type in

java -version

It is possible to have multiple versions installed and for the wrong one to be set as default.

1 Like

Thanks guys. I did have to install Java 11 manually as suggested. Would have never guessed that as I was on RC1 and also RC2 and would not have expected openhabian-config to actually uninstall the existing Java Installation. My openhab 3 seems to be running now :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Thanks, I ended up just having to stop and clear the cache, I guess I should have known to try that. My issue started out with not having Java 11 installed when I upgraded from 2.5 to 3.0, but after I installed Java 11, the OpenHab service came back up up, but no logs were written, and the UI and Console were not online, but clearing the cache allowed it to start. Now I have to figure out how to work 3.0.

Same here: I was working on my new openhab-server (was installed with 2.5 some weeks ago and updated to version 3 after official release before even configuring version 2.5) several hours without any problems on Friday the 8th. During the day I also checked for new updates, installed them, rebooted the system at least two times, worked on it again, and late in the evening, hours later, when trying to reach the UI from my smartphone I got a 404 error. I booted again, but the error came again. Logs did not show any new entries, Frontail kept empty, but the openhab service was up and running.

Going to the forum today I found this thread, checked java - version and was very surprised that the system used version 8. Installing version 11 again the system worked again. Thanks a lot!

But the question remains: How on earth did the Java Version change? Nothing was done to the system between my last successful work on it (just adding Items) and the moment the 404 occurred.

I am getting same missing requirements, and also noticed I had Java 8 installed (this is on windows 10), so I installed openJDK 11.0.10 from AdoptopenJDK, restarted the server, verified with java --version, it was 11, ran start.bat, but still I get the same missing requirements, anybody with ideas ???

Wasnt enough to install Java 11, and verify it was in the PATH, had to manually change JAVA_HOME in env variables as well. Then it sort of starts, but i have uite a lot of errors in the log, so …