openHAB 3 (openhabian or via packages)

I try to install openHAB3 (arm32hf) because of the smaller footprint for Java11. First I try to install it via openhabian. But despite setting clone to hab3 it seems to be ignored and openhab4 will be installed. Is this true that this doesn’t work (anymore)?

And: I can’t install it via apt. There seems to be only openhab2 and 4 packages?!?

Can someone confirm or explain how to do that? Only option I see is to download a zip.

Sure you can do a fresh install of an openHAB3 with this? Think this just prevents updates to 4.x

Of course. Set the preference then apt install openhab. You don’t have to have OH installed before you set the apt preference.

The trick was to do “sudo apt install openhab=3.4.5-1” - that works for me.
There might be more options as you mentioned it. Thanks!

Be careful. Without freezing the version or setting the preference, on the next apt upgrade it will install OH 4.1.

No it should do assuming you use the current image to install and follow the docs how to install OH3 from scratch.

I wouldn’t call that a reasonable thing to do unless you’re on a system with less than 1GB of RAM.
And if so, replacing your HW would be the wiser choice. What’s your HW?

According to the description both ways should work.
I followed the description, but what works while oh3 was active, doesn’t work anymore. See the trick above. I can imagine that this description is not maintained anymore.

Yes, I have a small beaglebone black with just 512MB. Works ok with OH3 now.

The other trick that was needed and not properly described was this to finalize installation of java via tar.gz (which is needed as no debian packages are available for arm32hf).

sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/java java /opt/zulu11-jdk/bin/java 1
sudo update-alternatives --install /usr/bin/javac javac /opt/zulu11-jdk/bin/javac 1

Please give the exact link you refer to.
The official openHABian docs are maintained, and what’s written there should be working and to the best of my knowledge so it does.
But when you don’t tell in your OP what exactly you start from in terms of HW and SW we cannot know, and when you say you follow docs without saying what exactly you refer to
we cannot know. what you did and if that was the official docs or some obscure posting or other unreliable or unmaintained source of information.
That’s why this type of posting/problem description is not appreciated on the forum.

Well, given that as Rich already said OH4 needs Java 17 and Java 17 needs more memory, let’s face it you have sort of come to a dead end you won’t get out of without replacing your hardware.
I think you should decide to either stick with exactly what you have (you might be fine with that), or migrate hardware.
But any efforts spent on getting OH4 to work on known-to-be-too-low-end hardware are wasted.

Sorry for misunderstanding. Yes my hardware is poor and that limits me, I understand and do not complain in any way.

This was what I used as guide:

That’s likely a copy of what works at the time it was the recent version.
And the
“sudo update-alternatives” was missed in the recent section too.
Just take that as a hint, that’s no complain.