openHAB 4.0 SNAPSHOT discussion

With latest SNAPSHOT? there was an issue with M1 that could have caused such a problem. I just tried with a fresh alpine-snapshot 4.0.0 (4 days ago) and creating a new .items files immediately resulted in a new item.

I’m on 3392 pulled yesterday.

Also the alpine image? I‘m using an Apple silicon host and edited the file in a Docker Desktop Terminal.

Now you’re asking hard questions. I run this on a Synology NAS (running Synology 6.5). Through their Docker implementation. Under the dropdown I just pick snapshot for openhab/openhab:snapshot. I’m not a Docker expert, just happy this runs honestly.

Me neither. Unfortunately I can‘t debug that any further because it works for me.

I think something was stuck on my docker. It was having other odd issues for the past few days. I’ve cleared it all out and it seems to be working again.

1 Like

Sorry for dumb question but can someone tell me how to switch from stable (4.0M1) to snapshot version on an apt installed Linux install?

Go to the Downloads page and select Linux → APT → SNAPSHOT and follow at least steps 2, 4, 5, and 6. For step 4 you may want to just edit the file indicated and change “testing” to “snapshot” instead of adding both repos with the “echo” command.

1 Like

I just wanted to report that I updated to build #3404 and this is the first time I had a clean boot immediately after the upgrade since January. Kudos to all involved!

The only remaining nagging issue is still periodically and without any pattern I can discern yet the log config file gets set to an empty file still.

I’ve set up a cron watchdog that runs once a minute and sends me an email when it sees the file has changed to be an empty file and restores a backup. So far the only pattern I can see is that it seems to happen on the hour, but I think that’s because I screwed up the cron job (I was using 0 * * * * which I just realized on writing it here means minute 0 of the hour instead of every minute, doh!). But I’ve had it happen several times on one day and several days with no events. I’ll report when I can find out more.

For the curious, the script is:

#!/bin/bash

sendmail=/usr/sbin/sendmail
file=/srv/openhab/userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg
actualsize=$(wc -c <"$file")
dt=$(date)
if [ $actualsize -eq 0 ]; then
  echo $file is zero length at $dt, restoring
  email='rlkoshak@gmail.com'
  to='To: '$email'\n'
  from='From: '$email'\n'
  subject='Subject: logger config zero length\n\n'
  body=$dt
  msg=${to}${from}${subject}${body}
  echo -e "$msg" | $sendmail $email
  cp $file.bak $file
fi

It assumes you have sendmail or something similar installed and configured (I use msmtp).

The crontab is:

* * * * * /home/rich/logfilewatcher.sh

I’m sure there are better ways to set up a watchdog on a file but this was quick and easy.

I’ll post more when I learn more.

1 Like

Thanks Rich that worked
now on 3405

Maybe the perpetrator will start complaining if you make the file read only or change its ownership.

3 Likes

That’s a good idea. I’ll have to remember to do it again after a restart of the container because I believe the container runs a fix permissions on startup. It’s been a couple days since it last did it so who know how long it’ll take, if this even shows anything.

Edit: I can’t say if it’s the root cause but after making the file read only and going away for a bit I’m seeing the following spamming the log.

> 2023-04-12 12:52:33.774 [ERROR] [internal.handler.ScriptActionHandler] - Script execution of rule with UID 'sensor-status-detection' failed: org.osgi.service.cm.ReadOnlyConfigurationException: Configuration org.ops4j.pax.logging is read-only

However, that’s probably caused by a rogue rule where I had

osgi.getService('org.apache.karaf.log.core.LogService').setLevel(console.loggerName, 'INFO');

which of course is going to want to write to the logging config (though I would have expected it to only care about log4j2.xml, not the pax config file. But it might point us in the right direction.

This rogue rule I have runs a lot (at least once per second, often more). I wonder if the rule triggers while it’s trying to set the logging level from a previous run if it gets interrupted and fails before it can rewrite the ops config file (which it shouldn’t be trying to write in the first place but that’s probably a question for Karaf, not us.

BTW: @florian-h05, the new search capability in the Developer Sidebar worked fantastically well to find all the rules where I have this line (I usually have it commented out). :partying_face:

2 Likes

When I install
4.0.0.202304130415 │ openHAB Add-ons :: Bundles :: Transformation Service :: RegEx

I get the following:

2023-04-13 15:46:11.693 [ERROR] [e.script.ScriptTransformationService] - bundle org.openhab.core.automation.module.script:4.0.0.202304100309 (160)[org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.ScriptTransformationService(95)] : The unsetScriptEngineFactory method has thrown an exception
java.lang.IndexOutOfBoundsException: Index 0 out of bounds for length 0
	at jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBounds(Preconditions.java:64) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.outOfBoundsCheckIndex(Preconditions.java:70) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.util.Preconditions.checkIndex(Preconditions.java:266) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.Objects.checkIndex(Objects.java:359) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.ArrayList.get(ArrayList.java:427) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.Collections$UnmodifiableList.get(Collections.java:1347) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.internal.ScriptEngineFactoryHelper.getPreferredMimeType(ScriptEngineFactoryHelper.java:62) ~[?:?]
	at org.openhab.core.automation.module.script.ScriptTransformationService.unsetScriptEngineFactory(ScriptTransformationService.java:275) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:77) ~[?:?]
	at jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:568) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.methods.BaseMethod.invokeMethod(BaseMethod.java:245) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.methods.BaseMethod.access$500(BaseMethod.java:41) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.methods.BaseMethod$Resolved.invoke(BaseMethod.java:687) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.methods.BaseMethod.invoke(BaseMethod.java:531) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.inject.methods.BindMethod.invoke(BindMethod.java:42) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.DependencyManager.invokeUnbindMethod(DependencyManager.java:2212) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.DependencyManager.close(DependencyManager.java:1948) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.disposeImplementationObject(SingleComponentManager.java:430) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.deleteComponent(SingleComponentManager.java:165) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleComponentManager.ungetService(SingleComponentManager.java:1043) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse$2.run(ServiceFactoryUse.java:273) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse$2.run(ServiceFactoryUse.java:1) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(AccessController.java:318) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.factoryUngetService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:270) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceFactoryUse.ungetService(ServiceFactoryUse.java:167) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceConsumer$2.ungetService(ServiceConsumer.java:53) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistrationImpl.ungetService(ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:632) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry.ungetService(ServiceRegistry.java:613) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.ungetService(BundleContextImpl.java:703) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleRefPair.safeUngetService(SingleRefPair.java:109) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.SingleRefPair.ungetServiceObjects(SingleRefPair.java:74) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.DependencyManager$AbstractCustomizer.ungetService(DependencyManager.java:231) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.DependencyManager$MultipleDynamicCustomizer.removedService(DependencyManager.java:416) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.DependencyManager$MultipleDynamicCustomizer.removedService(DependencyManager.java:304) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.ServiceTracker$Tracked.customizerRemoved(ServiceTracker.java:1258) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.ServiceTracker$Tracked.customizerRemoved(ServiceTracker.java:1152) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.ServiceTracker$AbstractTracked.untrack(ServiceTracker.java:1012) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.ServiceTracker$Tracked.serviceChanged(ServiceTracker.java:1192) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.BundleComponentActivator$ListenerInfo.serviceChanged(BundleComponentActivator.java:116) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.FilteredServiceListener.serviceChanged(FilteredServiceListener.java:123) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.dispatchEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:961) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:151) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry.publishServiceEventPrivileged(ServiceRegistry.java:937) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistry.publishServiceEvent(ServiceRegistry.java:874) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.serviceregistry.ServiceRegistrationImpl.unregister(ServiceRegistrationImpl.java:241) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager$3.unregister(AbstractComponentManager.java:952) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager$3.unregister(AbstractComponentManager.java:915) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.RegistrationManager.changeRegistration(RegistrationManager.java:140) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager.unregisterService(AbstractComponentManager.java:994) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager.doDeactivate(AbstractComponentManager.java:844) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager.deactivateInternal(AbstractComponentManager.java:825) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.AbstractComponentManager.dispose(AbstractComponentManager.java:589) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.manager.ConfigurableComponentHolder.disposeComponents(ConfigurableComponentHolder.java:722) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.BundleComponentActivator.dispose(BundleComponentActivator.java:492) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.Activator.disposeComponents(Activator.java:652) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.Activator.access$300(Activator.java:74) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.Activator$ScrExtension.destroy(Activator.java:490) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.AbstractExtender$1.run(AbstractExtender.java:216) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.Executors$RunnableAdapter.call(Executors.java:539) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:264) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.AbstractExtender.destroyExtension(AbstractExtender.java:238) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.AbstractExtender.bundleChanged(AbstractExtender.java:132) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.felix.scr.impl.Activator.bundleChanged(Activator.java:255) ~[?:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.BundleContextImpl.dispatchEvent(BundleContextImpl.java:949) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:234) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.ListenerQueue.dispatchEventSynchronous(ListenerQueue.java:151) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEventPrivileged(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:229) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:138) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxEventPublisher.publishBundleEvent(EquinoxEventPublisher.java:130) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxContainerAdaptor.publishModuleEvent(EquinoxContainerAdaptor.java:217) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.publishEvent(Module.java:499) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.doStop(Module.java:658) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.container.Module.stop(Module.java:521) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.framework.EquinoxBundle.stop(EquinoxBundle.java:472) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.BundleInstallSupportImpl.stopBundle(BundleInstallSupportImpl.java:171) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.stopBundle(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1165) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:783) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.doProvision(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1069) ~[?:?]
	at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.lambda$doProvisionInThread$13(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1004) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) ~[?:?]
	at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) ~[?:?]
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) ~[?:?]

openHAB then restarts but the GUI etc does not run properly, so requires an additional restart to get back to running.

When this happened earlier, I actually lost/corrupted the automation_rules.json and I battled to get a running system, which is why I know it happens each time from a running state.

If I uninstall and re-install again, it does not seem to happen?

I have tested a couple of times on a “test” machine on Windows 11

Posting this here until the docs can be updated.

I’m experimenting with the new support for defining transformations in the UI.

Once you create a transformation in the UI: Settings → Transformations take note of the UID. This ID will likely follow this format:

config:<transform type>:<name>:<language>

where <transform> is the name of the transform to use (e.g. map, js, jinja, etc.), <name> is your what you provided, and <language> is an optional two letter code for the spoken language (not programming language (e.g. en, de, etc.).

For example, I’ve a map transform I use to translate the three possible LWT messages to the online/offline status for the MQTT Thing. It’s ID is config:map:waveplus.

When using that transform in various places, you must use the full ID in place of what we used to be the filename. So for example, if you had MAP(waveplus.map) or if in the MQTT or HTTP add-ons MAP:waveplus.map you would use MAP(config:map:waveplus) or in the MQTT or HTTP add-ons MAP:config:map:waveplus.

It took me a bit to work that out.

Also, be aware that my understanding is the interface to SCRIPT has changed and now it uses the language as the ID. This means as long as one of the JS add-ons are installed, the original JS(myfile.js) will continue to work so users will not need to update their syntax to work with OH 4.

1 Like

That’s a good summary, and yes, JS is back and as long as you don’t use any language features that are available in Nashorn but not in Graal (I must admit, I’m not even sure if such a feature exists), all profiles and transformations will work.

2 Likes

Given the nature of transformations and the lack of openHAB injecting a bunch of stuff into them like it does with rules, I’m comfortable saying that any JS transform written for Nashorn will work with GraalVM unchanged.

2 Likes

Try updating to the latest snapshot. It isn’t called by the new ScriptTransformationService, but I’ve also submitted a PR to avoid this condition.

Ideally we should be able to just say MAP(waveplus) or MAP(config:waveplus) (to differentiate from file resource) but that would just create confusion I guess.

I am currently working on adjusting the transformation editor to recent core changes (SCRIPT transformation) and I took the chance to add a note to the transformation editor that says:

Tip: Use JINJA(config:jinja:jinja) for Item state transformations. and provides a clipboard icon to directly copy JINJA(…) to clipboard.

1 Like

running 3416
trying to install influxdb persistance from UI
getting

=> /var/log/openhab/openhab.log <==
2023-05-08 21:22:00.579 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed installing ‘openhab-persistence-influxdb’: Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-binding-hue; type=karaf.feature; version=“[4.0.0.SNAPSHOT,4.0.0.SNAPSHOT]”; filter:=“(&(osgi.identity=openhab-binding-hue)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=4.0.0.SNAPSHOT)(version<=4.0.0.SNAPSHOT))” [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.binding.hue; type=osgi.bundle; version=“[4.0.0.202305081105,4.0.0.202305081105]”; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105: missing requirement [org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105] osgi.wiring.package; filter:=“(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp)”]]
2023-05-08 21:22:02.437 [ERROR] [core.karaf.internal.FeatureInstaller] - Failed to refresh bundles after processing config update
org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve root: missing requirement [root] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=openhab-binding-hue; type=karaf.feature; version=“[4.0.0.SNAPSHOT,4.0.0.SNAPSHOT]”; filter:=“(&(osgi.identity=openhab-binding-hue)(type=karaf.feature)(version>=4.0.0.SNAPSHOT)(version<=4.0.0.SNAPSHOT))” [caused by: Unable to resolve openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.binding.hue; type=osgi.bundle; version=“[4.0.0.202305081105,4.0.0.202305081105]”; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105: missing requirement [org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105] osgi.wiring.package; filter:=“(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp)”]]
at org.apache.felix.resolver.Candidates$MissingRequirementError.toException(Candidates.java:1341) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.doResolve(ResolverImpl.java:433) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.resolve(ResolverImpl.java:420) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
at org.apache.felix.resolver.ResolverImpl.resolve(ResolverImpl.java:374) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.region.SubsystemResolver.resolve(SubsystemResolver.java:256) ~[?:?]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.Deployer.deploy(Deployer.java:399) ~[?:?]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.doProvision(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1069) ~[?:?]
at org.apache.karaf.features.internal.service.FeaturesServiceImpl.lambda$doProvisionInThread$13(FeaturesServiceImpl.java:1004) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1136) ~[?:?]
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:635) ~[?:?]
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:833) ~[?:?]
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT: missing requirement [openhab-binding-hue/4.0.0.SNAPSHOT] osgi.identity; osgi.identity=org.openhab.binding.hue; type=osgi.bundle; version=“[4.0.0.202305081105,4.0.0.202305081105]”; resolution:=mandatory [caused by: Unable to resolve org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105: missing requirement [org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105] osgi.wiring.package; filter:=“(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp)”]
at org.apache.felix.resolver.Candidates$MissingRequirementError.toException(Candidates.java:1341) ~[org.eclipse.osgi-3.18.0.jar:?]
… 12 more
Caused by: org.apache.felix.resolver.reason.ReasonException: Unable to resolve org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105: missing requirement [org.openhab.binding.hue/4.0.0.202305081105] osgi.wiring.package; filter:=“(osgi.wiring.package=org.openhab.core.config.discovery.upnp)”
… 12 more