openHAB 4.0 wishlist

I know this and I don’t like the last point. And because we are in a “wish” thread, I wish a change of this behavior.

2 Likes

@iLion and @hmerk, I think it’s helpful to point out places where a wish is already partially or in some cases fully met already, or where OH can’t meet the wish at all because it’s out of our control. But we need to be careful not to devolve into defending the status quo.

One other note to everyone, just because it’s listed here as a wish doesn’t mean anything will come of it. Hopefully some developers will look at them to see what’s a pain point for users if they are looking for something to work on. But no one is under any obligation to implement any of these wishes.

3 Likes

Thing is, they don’t have a group at all. They’re hanging around at root level… as I didn’t pick a parent for them… :woman_facepalming:

For the rest of not fruitful discussions, I’ll stay silent for peace sake.

Create the group and add them from the Group’s page. Should be able to add all the items in one go. The pop-up supports search so if they are named similarly you can get them all at once.

I created a Group and added all those Airthings Items to it in about 15 seconds.

Just for clarity:

1. Create the Group. In this case you probably want to create a new Equipment so you can even do this from the Model page.
  2. Navigate to the newly created Group’s page.
  3. You should see “Direct Group Members”. Click “Change”, put in a search that will matching all your Groupless Items and click the checkbox to select them and add them to the Group.

This should not be too painful and if this is missing from the docs it needs to be added. It’s a huge time saver if you are going to each individual Item and adding them to the Group one-by-one.

2 Likes

My one suggestion for MainUI Item selector / picker: When I clicked “show non semantic items” then type in the filter, please don’t make me expand the various hierarchies (groups?) to get to the item I want.

Just give me a flat list which I can narrow down by typing further in the filter.

Maybe another checkbox for “group items by groups” which I can uncheck?

3 Likes
  • more Javascript examples in the documentation.
  • Ability to remember props set for a widget in the widget editor. I’m currently working on a widget with about 12 props and each session starts by going through the picker and filter to assign each of the props (which would be sped up greatly by inplementeding JimT’s suggestion in reply 42)
  • Widget editor being able to render closer to the mobile apps in the preview pane.
  • Ability to create rule snippets (JS in my case) that can be “included” in rules - primarily to include custom library functions.
  • Ability to create and manage things via Javascript - sort of a mini binding functionality.

Thanks to all the developers for making openhab the powerhouse it is. My wish is for the ability to filter the thing list in the UI based on status. That way I could quickly find malfunctioning things.

2 Likes

Thank you @ccutrer but that is not what i meant, what i meant was “any GUI script”, so that the last vestages of the file based system can be purged.

@rlkoshak yes that is a good suggestion, i will get on it this afternoon when the family has left the house and the duck is slow roasting in the oven.

• Rock solid Python 3.x support. Without helper libraries.
  • Matter/Thread Support (extremely tired of buggy-to-non-working Zigbee and Z-Wave devices / bindings).
  • Way better Charts.
  • Batch editing parameters of Things. Optional table view, to view all at once, so you can quickly see how all are setup.
  • Ability to correct sensor values by percent in items file.
  • More care to not break things between releases. And where unavoidable, documentation with clear examples (not in programmer-style) how to fix the changes.
  • Better out-of-the-box experience (not important for me, but for OpenHab).
  • Platform-native-code, no Java (haha - hey, it’s a wishlist!) :wink:
3 Likes

it’s “Group → Location”, the “direct members” are missing here. So it would be something for the wishlist! To have the group extra functionality also on “Location”.

For me, a “drag and drop” interface for the schedule on a timeline would be the best improvement - I change the times of the scheduled rules often, and it is a bit tedious…

4 Likes

Question: I started editing my first comment to include my “wishes” , but I see other users discussing and adding additional comments. So I’m not sure what to do.
I have an additional idea to share, should I add a new comment, or keep editing my original one?

My wish would be that a default value could be assigned to vars in widgets as per

This work is ongoing. Anyone who wants to help out please see Rework Rules Documentation · Issue #1855 · openhab/openhab-docs · GitHub

I narrow the pane to simulate this. Grab and drag the bar separating the preview and the YAML and drag it to the right until the preview is roughly phone screen sized.

Nashorn JS, JS Scripting, Jython, jRuby, Groovy? and even Blockly already support personal libraries. Rules can also call other rules. Are you asking for something different from thiese?

I think this is also already possible from JS Scripting, Groovy, and jRuby relatively easily, Jython and Nashorn JS not as easily. I could be wrong on that but it seems all the right OSGI services are available.

A Helper library will always be required unless you go external. If external is OK, HABApp already has rock solid Python 3 support.

However, if you look at jRuby, right now the helper library can be installed through MainUI, For JS Scripting it comes with the add-on, nothing separate to install.

A SCRIPT transform would probably be the approach here. There is an issue open to support inline script transforms so something simple like this coule be included all in a .items file.

This is not really actionable. “Bring me a better rock!” Please provide specifics. The kinds of things that could be turned into an issue with clear success criteria.

I’m not sure what you mean here. Are you saying rewrite OH in C/C++ or are you saying you don’t want to mess with Java in rules? If the former, well

you know how likely that is going to be. If the latter, that’s kind of the point of the helper libraries. JS Scripting and jRuby go to great lengths to make sure you only deal with JS/Ruby classes and Objects in your rules.

I’m confused then. A Location is just a Group with a location tag. Find it in the Items settings page or click through to edit it from the Model view by selecting it and clicking the > icon to the right of the card to open the Item config page.

Probably edit your original one. That;s what I would do. But if it’s something you have a question about or want replies/discussion create a new post.

1 Like

Would be really cool to show the preview wondiw size in pixels. And one step further allow height shrinking too.

Dear Santa this is one of my bigest wish:

1 Like

Thanks Rich, your work on this forum has been invaluable in my OH Journey.

I’m using JS Scripting – referencing the [JSR223 doc] (JSR223 Scripting | openHAB) , but don’t see how to get where I’d like to go:
Define a binding that would allow creation of a TideTable thing, once appropriate parameters are set (station ID, offset minutes, and update interval), channels would be available for the most recent and upcoming high and low tide times. I’m currently doing this for one location with everything hard-coded in a rule, but would like to add a second location and thought I’d generalize it to something that was easy to reuse. I will take a look at using the unofficial APIs to accomplish this.

My wish list is pretty simple. I want a better-looking thermostat widget for dual setpoint thermostats and a reboot schedule for openhabian in the web-giu. And please don’t tell me to just use crontab. I have never, ever, ever, got crontab to work for a reboot on any Linux install.