openHAB 4.0 wishlist

Given that the cloud connector is an add-on like any other. It’s likely that it cannot be included in the startup sequence at all beyond that standard binding loaded and Things are ONLINE that applies to all bindings.

Just because it’s logged doesn’t mean core or Karaf know about it or even care about it and that’s where the system runlevels are implemented.

Even today there is no guarantee that any OH runlevels will be reached I think, though there were some PRs a few months back to make it more robust IIRC.

Users on Android phones without Google services (actually all users who download the Android app from f-droid) do not receive push notifications.

The signal addon plugs that hole.

Thank you for your response. I’m aware that this is possible with other bindings (using telegram myself). In regards to ease of use and usability it would be a win to have these features integrated in the core mobile apps (android and ios).

We already have the functionality of notifications in the openhab app which people use to control their smarthome anyways. So integrating this would mean I do not have to use yet another messanger app (telegram) :wink:

This is just a suggestion to improve and complete the feature set of core openhab from a long time user.

Frankly I don’t understand what you are requesting. You say yourself notifications ARE in the mobile app. so that is not what needs integration. Dialogues can be implemented on server side via widgets so don’t need client side integration either.
So what is your request about ?

Hi Rich,

I would say feature parity is a desired goal (if possible).

OK, I wasn’t aware. Thank you for letting me know.

I do totally agree here. I would never ask to integrate e.g. notifications to telegram (or similar) into the openhab core, that is better handled by the individual bindings of course. But improving the already existing notifications feature of the native openhab mobile apps is something that should (most likely must) be integrated in the openhab core itself.

I’m sorry, maybe I did not express myself clearly enough. I’m not using integrated notifications of the openhab app as the functionality is limited. I am using telegram right now.

I’m proposing to extend the basic notification functionality of the openhab mobile app notifications to allow something like this:

So basically an image and response action as part of the same notification.

If that is possible and I’m not aware, please point me to the right resource as I was not able to find it in documentation or examples showing how this works.

You’re making us victim to your personal XY problem here: you want others to implement a specific solution to a problem that easier and quicker can be solved with a different approach.
It does not have to be a single notfication.
There’s nothing wrong with replacing a single notification with a multi-step dialogue process, and single steps are not necessarily client-server communication messages.

I already did: implement this on the server side, inside a widget.
You can implement any sort of dialogue there.
The initial openhab app notification can contain the URL to point at the widget for further processing.
And no, there’s no specific tutorial or other resource I know of other than all those on widgets on the forum and yes, it ain’t plug’n’play. But the prerequisites are all there in OH3, including docs.
So start now yourself and share your solution when you’ve managed to get it working.

I’m sorry you feel this way. I just gave a recommendation for improvement of the solution. If you feel that this is not beneficial to openhab that is alright.

So you are saying its possible but it is not documented. That makes it rather difficult for users to integrate.

I’m not sure if I even know what type of widget you are talking about, mainui widget, habpanel widget, or something completely else. In any case, this would require development effort by the user and cannot be considered a ready to use Feature of the solution.

This being a feature wishlist for Openhab 4 I thought this would have been the right place for my Suggestions, but maybe I was mistaking.

Thank you.

4 Likes

A tad rude for a response to a wishlist post. Your response to a wishlist is I can do it so why can’t you.

@HoLiuS this is not the first time this request has come up. It has been added as a wish. (See the edited first post)

Like everything it is just a wish and we would need someone who has alot more knowledge skills to be able to properly define what the request is in technical terms before you can kindly ask/beg/bounty a Dev to implement.

7 Likes

I want to restate that indeed this is a wish list. It’s a brain storming activity. That should mean:

• no idea is simply rejected out-of-hand
  • if something is technically not feasible or outside the scope of OH that can be stated (helps manage expectations)
  • if some or all of a wish is possible using what’s in OH now, that should be described
  • if further details are needed to elaborate on a wish are needed, questions for more details are encouraged

But the most important thing is there should be no expectation that any of these wishes will come true.

4 Likes

I understand that and I absolutely agree. I hope I did not make the impression to expect anything, I merely intended to post a suggestion I think makes sense for Openhab.

Apologies @HoLiuS now reading my post I understand it may have sounded rude. Sorry that wasn’t my intention.
I just wanted to set expectations and addressees right: what you are looking for can be done by users in current OH3 so while it’s not available off the shelf, it does not make much sense IMHO to implement it in Java (which is really what this wishlist is about).
You or any other user can build it yourself and I think you should attempt to. [to answer your question, I was referring to MainUI widgets. I myself am learning every day how much I can do with them without that I need someone else to implement it for me]
I humbly suggest that doing so will make a lot of sense to all of us: you won’t have to wait for some other developer to pickup the ball (and given you yourself can do it without a ‘real’ dev’s help, chances aren’t high anyway that someone will deliberately choose to spend their time on this).
You can build your own wished feature and become a contributor this way, giving back to the community. And you can share it on the marketplace afterwards for others to benefit as well.
‘Available’ developers meanwhile can focus on stuff only they can work on, i.e. Java programming core and addon stuff.

2 Likes

Hi,
one of my wishes is the formatting of notifications e.g. via Markdown or HTML tags. This may not be a direct OH feature, but a presentation theme for the Android and IOS app.

I also have many other wishes that were mentioned here. Since I recently changed my rules from DSL to Javascript and am very happy with the result and the options (after a few problems :grinning:), I will refrain from making other requests.

Maybe I’ll come back with wishes when my PV system is up and running and I want to integrate it. At the moment I hope that this is not a problem via Modbus binding.

‘Notifications’ as in ‘displayed by the system’ or ‘displayed as list in the app’? In the Android case, formatting is pretty limited in both cases (see the docs here), system notifications probably don’t even support everything in that list.

Basically, I meant both the display by the system and the display in the app. In my opinion, the HTML tags mentioned here would be perfectly sufficient.
In addition, it would be nice if the view of the notification list in the app would open directly when I touch the system notification. At the moment the start view (i.e. sitemap) is shown.

Hello all,

When is the first OH4.0 milestone build planned?

A friend (who is using home assistant) just asked me if openhab can send push notifications to the openhab-android app via lan only. Apparently home-assistant can do this already?? No clue.
So after reading up i found issue #629 on github:

It is currently not possible without an external connection to the web and external services.

What would be needed to get this working? Some kind of spooler/event handler on the server side that queues up notifications/events and deletes them on delivery or feedback?

Getting notifications while entering the wifi/lan would be awesome. I didn’t know that this is not possible yet.
It would be great to have this working, especially for offline users/systems or have redundancy if one looses internet connection.

• Support for offline/wifi/lan only notifications from server → openhab-android app.

+1 for the wishlist, cheers guys. :wink:

1 Like

Small thing from my side would be in the android app to have the option to configure a time duration (e.g. 5 minutes) within the app does not require a pin, fingerprint etc. Similar as a lot of other app are doing. I quite often switch apps and have to re-aurorize all the time.

Another wish would be Tasker to listen to item changes as event within Tasker. This would be extremely powerful as I use Tasker combined with openhab to get a lot of stuff automated.

1 Like

I can’t even remember the last time I had to enter a username/password in the Android app. I think it was when I got my new phone. We probably need more information but there might be something weird about your setup or how you are using the app that’s forcing you to reauthenticate. That’s definitely not normal (open a new thread if you want to pursue looking into that.

This has been asked for several times in the past but there really is no way to do it that wouldn’t be a battery/bandwidth problem. Tasker would have to be either polling OH at a pretty short polling period or it would have to be subscribed to the SSE stream all the time.

But you can set up Tasker to poll OH for the current state of an Item using the HTTP tasks.