openHAB 4.0 wishlist

I can’t even remember the last time I had to enter a username/password in the Android app. I think it was when I got my new phone. We probably need more information but there might be something weird about your setup or how you are using the app that’s forcing you to reauthenticate. That’s definitely not normal (open a new thread if you want to pursue looking into that.

One can activate this in the openhab app settings. I would suggest to have an additional selection until one has to re-autorize.

This has been asked for several times in the past but there really is no way to do it that wouldn’t be a battery/bandwidth problem. Tasker would have to be either polling OH at a pretty short polling period or it would have to be subscribed to the SSE stream all the time.

I have a workaround via notification listener in tasker that catches openhab push notifications including a kind of identifier to differenciate what to use for tasker and what tasker should keep untouched. Nevertheless, from customer point of view an easier way would be a wish to santa.

Hi,

I’d wish the JSONPATH transformation would work with multiple results - see:

Thanks!

I would also like to be able to create different accounts which are only displayed on certain sitemaps. Or is it already possible and I haven’t noticed it :wink:

1 Like

I am currently a litte bit frustrated about openhab. Many friends are homeassistant fans and I have regular discussions about which is better. I think openhab is the right tool for me, because of my relative complex home automation setup, but it is sometimes frustrating to use openhab with it’s complexity.

I have problems with Valetudo and mqtt because it keeps crashing my openhab instance somehow :unamused:. I tried homeassistant as a test setup (I like the lovelace UI) and I wondered why openhab isn’t a litte bit more intelligent. It was a 1 minute job to add my valetudo vacuum robot. Another minute for the second one. In openhab it is a complex thing and for me it doens’t work correctly. My shellys and also my fritzbox and octoprint server were discovered automatically.

I don’t want to change the optional complexity of openhab, but it is often not very user friendly.
So I wish for a new 4.0 version to be more helpful with new devices, maybe the inbox should assist a little bit more for a default setup. And also the UI is just better/nicer in HA.

Maybe my point is dumb, but I had the discussions very often the last months and all of the HA users are telling me how good HA is… I only can tell everybody that openhab is good, but I understand that every choose homeassistant to start.

I think a new openhab 4 without mayor breaking changes and new “killer features” aren’t helpful to argue in this discussions. It should be “hey, look at openhab 4. It is much better than the version 3”.

I frequently have talks about this, but honestly it’s a moot point. I’m 36yo. I don’t care about what is best, just what works best for me.
And for me the best is a mixture of everything, as often is the case.
Get home assistant running, put your robot vaccum on it, and sync the states through mqtt. Share screenshots here and show us how great it is!

As is often said, openHAB is a volunteer work. People work on what they feel like working. And it’s great, it offers the option of innovation in areas where a company might have no interest in pursuing. If I had gone with HA instead, I would miss out of the many customization options unique to openHAB.

So why choose either? This isn’t a competition. Use both, grab the benefits from doing so.

Edit: before someone complains about being off topic, here’s another wish: documentation on how to sync a local OpenHAB instance with another home assistant. Objective: share states to sync between both different devices/integrations.

1 Like

See Using the MQTT Event Bus for driving another OpenHAB or Home Assistant for one. There are several others.

Depending on who controls the topics, from the OH side it could be as simple as installing and configuring the MQTT Event Bus rule templates.

2 Likes

I’m 47 and of course I know, there’s no strict “one app to rule them all” :wink:
What I do is simply this, whenever I find some other piece of software better suited for my needs as “pure” openHAB: MQTT

So, either it’s sensors with NodeMCU or whatever, I almost always have them send and receive information via MQTT. Which is simple, lightweight and (almost always) reliable[1].
So, in case of home assistant or ioBroker or NodeRed or whatever: setup your device in “the other” sofware and have it send information via MQTT and perhaps receive commands via MQTT.

Hint: this not only works with 3rd party instance, but also with another openHAB instance. So I put a dedicated openHAB instance only for devices, that I can’t access via some network protocol. This one then connects to my ComfoAir central ventilation, my smart meter and … I can send/receive with MQTT much more easy than with either the (OH) REST API or the “Remote-Openhab-Binding” (just my flavour).

edit: Rich was faster… darn. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

There is a dedicated binding to handle this case too if MQTT isn’t your thing. It’s based on OH’s REST API so wouldn’t work with HA or some other third party tool but works great to sync between two OH instances.

1 Like

@rlkoshak & @binderth you guys rock :slight_smile: thank you!

I know, but for me it leads to uncomfortably long item-names!

I’m not sure I understand what you mean. You can link the Channels to Items of any name you choose, even using the same names as the Items on the remote OH instance if that works. The binding doesn’t force you to name your Items in a certain way.

a bit OT, but the binding uses suggestions for adding items from channels and if you name the Thing already a bit longer, it’ll add all of this to the items thereafter. Of course I could change it for every single item. But so I use MQTT to not only use the information from the remote OH instance in my calling OH instance, but with the same MQTT-topic in other connected systems like nodeRed or others.

While it cannot work for all add-ons, there was some discussion a while ago about automated suggestions for bindings to install, based on a generic MDNS/UPNP scan, see this issue. It is not a full discovery, as you would need to install the binding for that. But it would already be nice to suggest bindings likely to provide functionality supporting at least some of the devices in your network.
In my opinion, this could indeed be a killer feature for OH4.

Sorry, just noticed this was already suggested (with link) in this thread before: openHAB 4.0 wishlist - #101 by massi

2 Likes

I think we should use the best ideas from all of them. And one thing is, that HA has a better auto discovery function. But as @Mherwege said it was already named.

I would like if openhab has a bigger set of default icons for the sitemap items

1 Like

I am on OH 3.4.1. on RPi4
I would like to see a binding for the Pioneer AC units. The phone app is Pioneer Airlink.
I would like to not have to keep deleting my multiple log files to be able to see my logs again.
I would like to see more Amazon integration without having to be connected to Openhab cloud.
Thank you

Could you be a bit more specific. This does not say what you are missing.

This is not normal and not something you should have to do. Please open another thread to explore what’s going wrong. By default, the logger is configured to grow no larger than 16 MB. When it reaches that size (or OH restarts) it rotates them, zipping up the old ones to save space and deleting the oldest one, keeping only seven or eight.

My understanding is that Alexa doesn’t provide a local only API for OH to interact with so this wouldn’t be possible. However, you should set up your own instance of the openHAB Cloud Server and go through the pain of getting it authenticated and authorized to use Amazon’s cloud API, bypassing OH’s clouds server. But you can’t get away from using Alexa’s cloud server.

I can send commands to Alexa just fine from OH. I would like to be able to send commands to OH from Alexa. My understanding is that you have to use the Openhab cloud to do this.

Oh! For sure! We definitely need this. Or at least a zip pack chocked full of icons to use.
Or the other way around… like, I haven’t looked (and I’m stuff on a smartphone so pardon me) but are OH icons size standard in some way? You know, to look for icon packs that we could share or copy around??

Edit: definition of “definitely need “ differs by individual. I happen to rate “shiny” pretty high.

Yes, because, like @rlkoshak already mentioned, you need Amazons cloud for this.
There is no other way.