openHAB 4.1.0, E3DC S10X and Wallbox via MQTT/Modbus, architecture overview

Would like to share my OpenHAB architecture with the community.
Maybe useful to shorten the learning curve for finding the right architecture or share other approaches.

1. Use case
  • Had OpenHAB working for some years already with a separate wallbox. This wallbox has a Modbus/TCP interface but was never attached to OpenHAB
  • New solar installation with E3DC S10X wanted to be integrated
  • Collected various rules in different programming languages
  1. Hardware
  • E3DC S10X with battery + solar panels
  • ESL Wallbox “Walli Light 11/22 KW” with Phoenix Contact Modbus controller (specific item EV-CC-AC1-M3-CBC-RCM-ETH)
  1. Tasks
  • Attaching the wallbox via modbus. Why?
    The wallbox was seen as a regular appliance like any other bulb, so it discharged the battery quickly and didn´t allow specific controlling.
  • I wanted to establish two charging modes (100% from grid or surplus charging). Surplus means charging, if battery SOC already reached 100% and house consumes less than solar panels produce. A key inside the wallbox was used to distinguish between these modes
  • I wanted to stop E3DC from discharging, once mode “100% from grid” is chosen
  • Mode “surplus” means adjusting load current between 6 to 16A (or no charging at all), depending on available energy
  • Modbus is a good choice for the wallbox
  • rscp2mqtt is better than Modbus for controlling the E3DC device. After checking Modbus interface, it turned out that reading lots of values is fine, but E3DC doesn´t want the device to be written with e.g. “stop discharging” or “get x kWh as emergency buffer”. Exactly here the RSCP protocol is the better choice. As the E3DC device is also connected via Ethernet TCP/IP, I checked various bindings. Finally, as of writing this text, rscp2mqtt has been chosen as a stable MQTT solution with all I need. Check with Windows GUI, if you want
  1. Architecture
  • Synology NAS with virtual machine+docker support
  • New Debian 12.4 VM
    – openHAB installed via “apt” to be close to system level. E.g., exec binding doesn´t like living in a sandbox
    – Installed docker with following containers
    MariaDB for storing item states
    phpmyadmin to administer the OpenHAB database
    mosquitto for message queueing
    rscp2mqtt for E3DC RSCP connection in/out
    portainer to administer the containers
    frontail to ease logging for openhab.log and events.log via web
  • OpenHAB rules migrated to current ECMA Javascript
  • Wallbox via OpenHAB Modbus binding
  • Attached, but out of scope for this text
    – Logamax plus GB162 15GkW gas heating via KM200 binding
    – KNX with 30 devices, managed via ETS6
    – Panasonic “Etherea” air conditioning with KNX interfaces
    – Paul Novus 300 ventilation system with KNX interfaces
    – Heating control valves
    – Washing machine final state machine
    – Network UPS
    – NTP time
    – Tasmota WiFi sockets to measure power and energy
    – OpenWeather One Call API
    – Blinds, lights, compressor, garage door opener+status via KNX
    – Temperature sensors, presence detection
    – E3DC visu via widget
  1. How it looks like today
    Yes, it´s programmers level and not state-of-the art UX :slight_smile:

1. Outlook
  • Surplus charging. I´m currently working on an object model with classes for constant or dynamic devices. Like wallbox, Tasmota devices.
  • Buy a electricity meter for my wallbox

Hi Jens. Saw your post in another thread around e3dc and rscp in OpenHAB. Wanted to come back to this. Do you happen to have 2 or more power meters in your e3dc environment? I triple-miss this from modbus.e3dc, e3dc (beta) binding and rscp2mqtt, while I can see all their data in Windows GUI and E3DC-Control. I use that 2nd meter to gather power consumption for a heat pump. Next step is to evaluate Python-e3dc for extracting those parameters and e.g. write it to mqtt broker.

There is one power meter inside the E3/DC device, others in air conditioning, wallbox, heating, Tasmota devices.
This is not a rscp2mqtt forum, but I can confirm that my S10X can be read with all values that the system itself provides. Just need to configure it, it´s well documented. The E3DC modbus interface is limited, because E3DC provides more values and read/write access only via RSCP protocol.
I´m currently working on a surplus charging node.js script for switching/regulating consumers based on PV power.

I issued a feature request here Multiple powermeters support · Issue #46 · pvtom/rscp2mqtt · GitHub to support multiple E3/DC Powermeters.

Hi,
could you share your channel definitions for rscp2mqtt in openhab?
Cheers,
Mario