openHAB 4.1 Milestone discussion

I updated to M4 and have no issues since now.

The only problem I have is that when I am navigating in the MainUI page between the location and equipment pages doing some control the view is jumping back randomly.
This means that when I am at the location page and controlling lights the view is jumping back to the page view I have been before. It happens with every browser. And I think I have this problem since I updated to OH4.
It happens not always. And I can not really reproduce the problem.
Is anyone else having similar issues?

1 Like

Yes, I did see this in M3 and M4. Already opened an issue:

2 Likes

I can confirm it happens also on my openHAB 4.1.0.M4.

I tested with MapDB and restoreOnStartup works.

The state of the item is written to the database. Analyze is working. Only the restore does not happen.

It seems that the problem exists “only” with rrd4j.

Upgraded from M3 to M4 this am and had a similar problem with restoreOnStartup from RRD4j. Item values were not restored and dozens of rules bombed with NULL values. Most if not all were “artificial” items. For example, I count the number of lights, so I created items for each light fixture in the house, initialized them to zero and then if a three light fixture is “ON” it goes to 3, off back to ‘0’. I also count the number of watt reports from my devices in a similar manner. Lastly I have some calculated averages as items that wouldn’t work. I had to reinitialize them to zero again to get things working. This has not happened before on an upgrade. All is fine now (I think :wink:). Although I was going to try a restart to see if it was just the upgrade process.

I had simillar problem long time ago :slight_smile:

and moved to MapDB all my item that should be restored after startup.
Actually I use two persistence services:

• Influx DB for all items with historical data
  • MapDB for all items that should be restored after startup

Maybe it is not related but may help someone.

Regarding restore on startup with rrd4j, I can tell I found no change in rrd4j add-on at all in OH 4.1. If it does no more work, it is probably due to a change in core framework.
@J-N-K @laursen : do you think it could come from recently added feature about persisting data in future?

Leave it. :wink: I restarted multiple times. It is not an update problem. It is a problem of M4. My tests confirmed that. The productive machine is back on M3.

I never had problems with rrd4j since OH2. Somehow the time comes to think about a change. Thanks for the hint.

Thanks for the info :smiley:

So I’ll get null again? I thought it might be the clean-cache during an upgrade somehow. I guess I’ll leave for now (on M4), but get Mapdb as the restore on startup configured. Earlier in the year I separated the restoreOnStartup to RRD4j for numbers and ON/OFF and MapDB for Dates and images. I use RRD4j for graphs.

In short: YES :slight_smile:
It really seems to be an issue in M4 which does not restore values from rrd4j at startup.

2 Likes

Hey,

I upgraded to 4.1.0M4, since then my threads continue to rise. Before I had no problem.
I also don’t know where to look. So if there is someone that can help? Memory is stable also is the cpu load.
I have already tried clearing cache memory and fix permission so far no succes

System:
RPI 4 4GB ram openhabian and fix premissions

I also experienced this with my battery powered zigbee devices (2 Yale locks and 3 Sengled door sensors)
I reverted to M3 and the issue disappeared

I’ve been experiencing this threadcount issue for a couple years now. Using rpi4 with openhabian, always current milestone version at the time. Spent some time removing and re-adding bindings in an attempt to identify the cause but no result. So I ended up making a rule to restart the system at 4am when the threadcount exceeds 1500 or so. But would love to know if anyone has identified a root cause.

Has someone created an issue in GitHub for the mentioned problem about restoreOnStartup from RRD4j ?
Exposing clearly the issue to all maintainers could help to have someone figuring what could suddenly happen.

upgraded from what version please

What bindings do you use? What rules language do you use? Rules file or UI ?

is anything else running on the Pi?

4.0 stable

homewizard,ipcamera,homeconnect,meater,systeminfo,spotify,nest,ntp,remoteopenhab,network,volvooncall,yamahareceiver,chromecast,astro,weathercompany,icalendar,mqtt,somfytahoma,buienradar,lgwebos,exec,icloud

I use the rules file and I use the openhab rule code (if, when, then, else)

Zigbee2mqtt is the only other software and that runs without issues

The only thing I now see is that openterm is an external file so i will delete it en install it from te bindings list.

Thx for the help!!

1 Like

Are you seriously running openHAB 3 bindings with openHAB 4.
This should be the rootcause of your issues.
Please do not mix major versions!

I even see a binding for OH 3.1, meaning built with framework dated more than 2 years and a half !

I can confirm that the M4 build seems to have issues with ZigBee battery devices not being discovered when using the Openhab ZigBee binding and also the persistence not repopulating on startup with previous values. This is a clear behavioral change from all previous versions expected or not.
My build uses all native bindings from the latest. 4.1 so there does appear to be some functional behavior change for rrd4j and a quirk in the ZigBee discovery process I also allowed it to run for 8 hours to see if it would eventually pick up the battery devices, but it did not, and you can see a recurring exception error in the logs each time it tries to initialize those battery devices. I then quickly flipped back to M3 and everything worked fine again.
Does not matter if it is Linux build or Windows build behavior is the same.
Also, upgrade or fresh build does not change the Zigbee discovery quirk.

2 Likes

Yes because I don’t know how to update them. If could I would. I will try to make a openhab 3.1 to use them on that. I do not maintain them and I can’t delete them because they are used in a lot of rules.