OpenHAB CULfw for Somfy RTS Rollershutters

Hi Nookyx,
yes, definitely me!
I had problems in pairing rollershutters with nanocul.
I think that your binding could provide more comfort and stability.

I’m not regularly checking the forum as I have switched from OpenHAB to HomeAssistant. But mail reminders are still set up :wink:

So I won’t actively contribute towards a new version but if there are questions feel free to ask!

1 Like

Hey @Daniel_Weisser, thank you for your reply!
So you are fine with me releasing a new version of your binding that is able to run on OH3?

1 Like

Hey @Oliver2,

you can download the addon (.jar File) for OH3 here:
https://github.com/Nookyx/openhab2-addons/releases/tag/v3.3.0

It should work with OH3.2 and 3.3. I currently have it up and running on OH3.2 with a Raspberry Pi 4 and nanoCUL. Please don’t get confused that my github repo is a fork of openhab2-addons - the uploaded file is for OH3 :wink: I’ll get this sorted some time in the future and also release the code on GitHub.

Just as before, you’ll need to install the “transport-serial” feature via the console because the jar file does not bundle the gnu.io package which is required for the binding.

feature:install openhab-transport-serial 

As the binding is just provided as a .jar file (just like before), you have to install it manually (doc)

1 Like

Sure, go ahead! I’m glad that the plugin gets “reused” and is brought to a better future :rofl:

1 Like

Very nice of you. Thanks a lot! I give it a try in three weeks. Currently I quite buy. I post feeback here once I install it.

1 Like

Hey @Nookyx
did you already update to OH version 4? Is the binding still working or does it need to be recompiled for v4?

Hey @Oliver2
sorry, I was on a long vacation and just came back.

My binding I posted above (3.3.0) is still working with OH4 for me.

I had to re-install the openhab-transport-serial feature again but I don’t see any breaking changes that impact my version of this binding and it’s working fine for me.

I hope you enjoyed your holidays :slight_smile: Are you able to see the binding in the “choose binding” dialog when trying to add a new thing through MainUI?

No, it’s not listed there. I am unsure if this was the case before. Maybe it’s because it’s installed manually. Not sure though.

I added all my configuration (things, items, …) for the binding via files, so I never actually checked the MainUI configuration part.

If want to use the MainUI, here’s something that could work for you:
If you enable the developer sidebar (via developer tools), you have a “create shortcuts” section there and can use “Add Thing (quick)”, there should be two types of somfy-things there (somfycul:culdevice → your CUL Stick and somfycul:somfydevice → your Rollershutters).

Fabulous! Thanks for this tip!
Thing for CUL and Rollershutter added.
Is

baudrate="38400"

fine or should it be 9600?
I am starting to play around a bit to get it working later this day.

EDIT:
Do you know the procedure to pair the CUL with the RTS rollershutter? Is it:

1. Press prog-button at remote control (Telis 4 RTS pure) until rollershutter goes into pairing mode
  2. Switch somfydecice item “program” to ON
  3. Switch back to OFF or wait until RTS device indicates end of pairing procedure?
  4. Do I need to press the prog-button of the remote control again?

How far away do you have your CUL positioned from the device?

From my understanding, the value for the baudrate depends on your cul stick. For mine, it didnt work properly until I changed it to 38400, but 9600 (or other values) can or maybe even must be used for other sticks (I’m using a 433 MHz nanoCUL Stick, I don’t have all the details about it at hand right now).

The procedure to “copy” your existing remote control (per channel) is:

1. Select the channel you want to copy to your openhab configuration on your physical remote control
  2. Press and hold the prog-Button on your physical remote control until the rollershutter briefly goes up and down (this signals pairing readiness of the rollershutter)
  3. Switch the respective somfydecice item “program” to ON (use a switch item for this), your rollershutter should confirm pairing with another brief up/down movement
  4. (I’m switching the item back to OFF at this point, but I don’t know if this is required)
  5. I change my Item configuration to type Rollershutter and the last part of the channel to position instead of program again
  6. You don’t need to press the prog-Button on your physical remote control again

My Rasbperry Pi (with the CUL stick attached) is placed in the first floor of a ~140 m² townhouse with steel reinforced floor and ceiling. I can reach all of my rollershutters from there, they are also in the ground floor and in the top floor, on both sides (front and back) of the house respectively.
Never really had an issue with the range. It’s far superior to for example bluetooth low energy sensors. I can’t use them on the other floors to send signals to my raspberry.

Hope this will work out for you

Yes, thanks a lot, this helps as I wasn’t 100% sure about the procedure. It is not (yet) working on my side, but now I can uncertainty of the procedure and try to find the problem elsewhere.
Did you flash your nanoCUL with a-culfw 1.26, SignalDuino or nanoCUL 1.67? I flashed mine wih 1.67

This is the exact CUL Stick that I bought: nanoCUL USB Stick FTDI CC1101 433MHz FW 1.67 Knick-Antenne FHEM CUL 433+ Adapter | eBay

It has the nanoCUL 1.67 Firmware.
I had an issue that my stick would “freeze” if I gave commands to quickly after the other. That could be fixed by installing the Optiboot Bootloader (but still with 1.67 FW). I did not do that by myself, because I don’t know how to. I found someone living nearby who did it for a few euros.

/edit: do you see any errors in the openhab/event logs?

1 Like

exactly the one I bought, too. Even the some shop :slight_smile:
Log does not show errors. Will do some more testing tomorrow.
Thanks again for your help so far!

Hey @Nookyx,
just wanted to let you know that your forked nanoCUL binding works really nice! I installed and configured it today and it was working immediately without any problems!
If I can buy you a beer, let me know🍺

happy to hear it works for you! :slight_smile:

1 Like