Openhab for home security

I am planing to use my Raspberry with Openhab4 for homesecurity and would like to user some webcams and Motion detector nothing to fancy.
Maybe a camera with motion tracking to start an event.
I found Reolink E1 and Aqara P1.
As there is a variety of possible hardware to buy, i wanted to ask for some suggestions in advanced !
Maybe somebody here to give me a template of what to buy and how to configure ?

There are hundreds of thousands of devices OH supports using just the official add-ons. No list of supported devices exists.

However, what you can do is identify a candidate device and search the add-ons to see if it’s supported. For many technologies if it’s certified it will work (KNX, Zwave, etc.). For others it might be supported and the readme for the binding will have additional information (e.g. Zigbee where there are lots of “Zigbee” devices out there that have additions which may or may not be supported by the binding). Still others (WiFi, cloud based APIs, etc) either will or will not have a specific binding to support them.

For camera, look at the IP Camera binding’s readme and you’ll see what sorts of cameras it supports and what to watch out for. For motion sensors pick a technology you want to invest in first and look for those.

Everyone’s openHAB setup is unique. The general approach is to find smaller tutorials and docs (e.g. how to configure a binding that requires a bridge and string those together to build your bespoke configuration.

Start small and ask questions when you run into trouble. We are happy to help where we can.

1 Like

A couple of suggesitons. For security system, I use a DSC system with an Envisalink network interface to connect to my OH server. For security cameras I use a Synology Surveillance Station with a couple of IP cameras. Both work quite nicely with OpenHab because they each have OH bindings.

1 Like