openHAB Google Assistant Integration v2.0

I have the same problem.
Every time I ask google to “close all shutters” or “close all shutters in the kitchen” it does not understand.
My language is italian, and all the roller shutters have metadata as “Shutter”.

The thing I don’t know if it’s a known limitation of Google or not… (Maybe limited to some country/language?)

The only way I can think to workaround this is to create a fake proxy shutter and then create a rule in openhab to command all…or wait for the bug with groups to be solved.

Its not a fancy solution, cause it will only work if you want to close all/the specific phrase ie, all shutters.

But I´m glad I´m not the only one with this issue… Now all we need to know, is it really a Google issue or could it be an openhab integration issue… I still believe its a Google issue. But if it is, then people not using openhab (3. part integration) should be suffering the same, if there trying to control more than one shutter.

You can already configure all modes, they are just not documented to the full extend. In the docs just the default modes are shown.
Just use the modes metadata attribute as you like.
If some modes can not be selected on your phone it is not an openHAB issue, but a limitation on Google’s site.

1 Like

Ok…It seems a google limitation to me (maybe based on country/language)

My brother in law is finishing building a new house and bought a bunch of shelly switch 2.5 for his roller shutters…he does not have openhab, he’s using the stock shelly app with Google assistant and he cannot command all shutters…he has the same result.

Thank you very much for the report…

I can add some more, maybe your brother can confirm this as well.
It seems like, I cant control my rollershutters with percentages either…
If I tell Google to “open window number 1 30%” it fails. But telling Google to “open” or “close” the same window, it works fine, however it will fully open or fully close ofcouse.

I made this test with mine and it seems to work for me!

I asked “open the kitchen roller shutter 30%” and also “close the kitchen roller shutter 50%” and it worked both times!"

I have shelly switch 2.5 with roller position activated, with metadata as “Shutter”.

Hmprf!!! Thank you for letting me know… I think I´ve have to ask Guenter (Velux binding) whats going on… I´m positive it has been working before… Perhaps I´m using an older binding. At least I now know this part works with GA integration.

EDIT - I just installed a newer version of the Velux binding. Now I can control a window with percentage. (Ie open window number 1 30%).

EDIT again… a correction…
It turns out, I can not use the word “open”, as in "Open window number 1 30%). But if I use the word close, as in “close window number 1 30%”, Google respond with, “okay opening window number 1 30%”…

If I say “close window number 1” it works and Google is closing the window…

This is weird and I´m more convinced its a Google issue!

So I added modes metadata in a following way:

String   GreeMode_GA         "Gree mode"             (Gree_Modechannel)  { ga="thermostatMode" [ modes="auto, cool, dry, fan-only, heat, on, off"] }

On, off, cool and auto are working. Google do not recognize dry, fan-only and heat as a mode with same wording what I use for the others what are working. Interesting that few days ago heat was working as well. I will keep that settings and do a few sync and will see.

First: The modes need to be configured on the Thermostat, not on the mode item! This is explicitly stated in the documentation.
Second: Please do not use spaces (I am unsure if they are stripped).

Ok, I try without spaces. Modes are working on the thermostat of course.

I think you misunderstood my comment.
The metadata attribute modes needs to be defined on the Thermostat group item in openHAB. In your example you added it to the modes items, which is wrong and therefore will not work.

1 Like

Thanks! Understood. Group item was defined, as it is in the requirements. I’ll change it.

Thanks for all the hints. Now Google Assistant controls my Aircon perfect. All 4 modes and temperature change are working.

I must have a configuration issue. I have a speaker item setup like this:

Dimmer   AVR2000MainZoneVolume "Den Amp Volume" (gDen_AMP) {channel="denonmarantz:avr:0005cd3a1aec:mainZone#volume", ga="Speaker" [volumeMaxLevel = 100, volumeCanMuteAndUnmute = false, commandOnlyVolume = false, levelStepSize = 6, volumeDefaultPercentage = 30] }

I can see the speaker item in my google home app after syncing devices with the google assistant, however, there are no volume controls for the speaker, and if I tap on it, It takes me directly to the configuration page in the assistant.

If the speaker item takes on the Google Assistant volume trait, shouldn’t my item configuration have met the requirements to get volume control working with Google Assistant? The information about the GA volume trait can be found here: google developer docs on volume assistant trait

I have assumed that I can add the traits as needed in my item setup to match the traits described in the google developer doc linked above, but it’s just not working.

Thanks for your help.

The Speaker device is unfortunately not supported by the Google Home app (as many other devices too) to the full extent. So you only can use voice commands to control it (or write your Assistant).

If it is correctly recognized by Google and you have the device listed it is very likely no configuration issue but just a “bad” implementation on Google’s side.

Btw. your metadata attributes are not supported by the OH integration yet.

1 Like

Is there an upper limit to the number of lighting devices that can be passed to Google Home via Openhab? I can get Google home to discover all my switches but some show as offline in the Google home app despite still be controllable by Openhab. If I unlink Openhab from Google home and then reauthorize Openhab all my devices are found again, but some still show as offline (this time different switches than the first time).

Brilliant. The integration is working! I am simply unable to see the volume controls in the Google Home app on Android. I can use voice control via Google Home to turn the amp volume up and down and I can control the amplifier volume via - and + buttons on a google nest display.

If I ask the assistant to mute the den amp volume, it sets the volume to 0, but if I ask to unmute, it says that the den amp volume does not support that feature.

Thank you @michikrug I appreciate your hard work on this! Hopefully Google continues to improve support for Openhab users.

As for the meta-tags, they don’t seem to be hurting anything- I figure that it is OK to leave them in there as future support for these tags should follow the Google Developer Schema.

My experienece is that metadata works. I can use successfully from [ roomHint=“Living Room” ] till { ga=“Lock” [ tfaAck=true ] }, even I could manage mode set up to my Airconditioner. Google home app features are quite different from device to device. I have several devices from Next Max till Phone app. Google heavily develops and changes this system and it is very inconsistent at the moment. Majority of the features are stable and avaiable in in voice control only means it won’t be visible in the app. Last thing is, that these settings become usuable at Google after some time in many cases. Means my mode was not working right after syncing, but I tried it after one or two hours and function was avaiable.

Nice to hear.

Yes, you can leave the metadata there, there is no harm.

I will have a look at the “unmute” issue.

Would you be able to share how you have your Harmony Hub items configured in OpenHAB to work with GA?