Openhab logging not working after clearing cache and tmp

• Platform information:
    • Hardware: RPI3B+
    • Java Runtime Environment: 1.8.0_171
    • openHAB version: 2.3.0
  • Issue of the topic: I had strange results with updating KNX items in the config files and decided to stop OH2 and clear /var/lib/openhab2/cache and tmp. After clearing the cache and starting OH2 again, I can open PaperUI and BasicUI with all bindings, sitemaps, etc. but I don’t receive any logging in /var/log/openhab2/* anymore. I connected to karaf using ssh. When executing a query regarding the logs I receive the error listed below. Please help me getting logging back to work. Thank you in advance, Rene
  • Please post configurations (if applicable):
    • Items configuration related to the issue
    • Sitemap configuration related to the issue
    • Rules code related to the issue
    • Services configuration related to the issue
  • If logs where generated please post these here using code fences:
    openhab> log:list
    21:13:36.007 [Karaf ssh console user openhab] ERROR org.apache.karaf.shell.support.ShellUtil - Exception caught while executing command
    java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unrecognized configuration
    at org.apache.karaf.log.core.internal.LogServiceImpl.getDelegate(LogServiceImpl.java:55) [56:org.apache.karaf.log.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.karaf.log.core.internal.LogServiceImpl.getLevel(LogServiceImpl.java:73) [56:org.apache.karaf.log.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.karaf.log.command.GetLogLevel.execute(GetLogLevel.java:49) [56:org.apache.karaf.log.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.karaf.shell.impl.action.command.ActionCommand.execute(ActionCommand.java:84) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.karaf.shell.impl.console.osgi.secured.SecuredCommand.execute(SecuredCommand.java:68) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.karaf.shell.impl.console.osgi.secured.SecuredCommand.execute(SecuredCommand.java:86) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.executeCmd(Closure.java:571) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.executeStatement(Closure.java:497) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Closure.execute(Closure.java:386) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Pipe.doCall(Pipe.java:417) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Pipe.call(Pipe.java:229) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at org.apache.felix.gogo.runtime.Pipe.call(Pipe.java:59) [12:org.apache.karaf.shell.core:4.1.5]
    at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(FutureTask.java:266) [?:?]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:1149) [?:?]
    at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(ThreadPoolExecutor.java:624) [?:?]
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748) [?:?]
    Error executing command: Unrecognized configuration
    openhab>

After removing the log-files you have to start openHAB again.

I started OH2 after clearing cache und tmp using “service openhab2 start”. I also tried to start it in debug mode from console. Same result.

I found on another forum that people had similar problems with karaf 4.1.5 like me:
http://karaf.922171.n3.nabble.com/Karaf-4-1-5-and-log-configuration-td4052606.html

Those guys didn’t find a solution to this problem.

Now I decided to reinstall OH2.3 from scratch in case there were some leftovers from the upgrade from OH2.2. It’s working again but I still have the same strange behavior of KNX in rules. Opened a ticket on github for the KNX behavior.

I found another topic with karaf logging errors:

However, in my case (oficial docker container) userdata is in /openhab/userdata
so config file, which was magically emptied, was in /openhab/userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg, (that caused problems in karaf, when launching command that operates on logs)
Fortunately, I found file with proper content: /openhab/userdata/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg so copied it to emptied /openhab/userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg file and it worked…

Hope, that will save somebody from reinstalling whole openhab :wink:

1 Like

Thanks Karol, found a similar discussion on the logging configuration as well. The file mentioned was not installed on my environment after the upgrade to OH2.3. I used apt-get to upgrade from 2.1 -> 2.2 -> 2.3. After the clean installation of OH2.3 there is still no “.dpkg-dist” file at the location mentioned above.

On my environment the logging configuration is located at this folder after installing the package:
/var/lib/openhab2/config/org/ops4j/pax/logging.config

I have the same problem, after i killed the java process when it hung. Once we restarted openhab.karaf, i couldn;t do log:tail or log:display … all return " Error executing command: Unrecognized configuration"

How to resolve this? All the .cfg files are intacted.

Should have read this problem… It SOLVED the problem :slight_smile:

wow you just saved my life, thanks! wouldn’t want to redo my openhab install :slight_smile:

This just happened to me. OH 3.2.0 (docker install).
Everything was fine. I was ssh’d to port 8101 and watching log:tail. Then, I tried running a rule in the UI that included a sendHttpPostRequest (no idea if this caused it). That’s when logging quit. and I got “Unrecognized configuration” errors referenced above
Thanks to this posting, I looked for the config file, and it was 0 size. (your location may vary by installation)

ll /volume1/docker/openhab/userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg
-rwxrwxr-x 1 openhab openhab    0 Jan 13 10:12 /volume1/docker/openhab/userdata/etc/org.ops4j.pax.logging.cfg

I couldn’t find a backup on my system, but I did find one online in github:

I replaced my 0 size file, with this one from online (It only has a single line in it)
Without even restarting, my logfiles started filling again.

BTW, after logging was working again, I re-ran the same rule from the UI (with the HttpPost) and it ran and logged just fine. No idea what caused the config file to disappear.

2 Likes