openHAB Milestone builds

Ok, thanks. :slight_smile: I’m going to try it asap.

True but many using snapshots complain here and do not file issues on GitHub where they can be fixed.

The recommends procedure is to first open a discussion here in case the issue isn’t new it isn’t a regression. Usually am issue gets filed afterwords. Not always which is as shame though.

This was not meant as a recommendation of what release to use in general.

@Celaeno1 asked clearly for the snapshot syntax and this was meant as a direct answer to his question.

1 Like

I also got confused since the topic of this thread is Milestones.

OpenHAB is installed using apt-get just like the IS packages. OpenHABian #2 does just what it says and upgrades all packages, including OoenHAB to the latest version in the repositories.

You need to hold the package if you do not want to upgrade it.

@5iver

I’ve tried update.ps1 Update-openHAB -OHVersion 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT, but nothing happens.

EDIT: But I found an update.bat that calls update.ps1. That was running fine with following command: update.bat 2.5.0-SNAPSHOT. Btw, you have to STOP OH2 before updating, that’s missing also in documentation.

EDIT2: This will also run for “Milestone Builds”: e.g. update.bat 2.5.0-M2

Where you running it from a command line or from PowerShell?

When we should have a new Milestone release?

update.ps1 from PowerShell (as Administrator) and update.bat from command box (as Administrator).

Kai mentioned we are back on the monthly release schedule.
I believe it was about a month between M2 & M3.

I know I just asked because the M3 was released more than a month ago.

1 Like

I just realized that. Likely there are some issues @Kai wants addressed first.

September 7th to be exact

Did I miss an announcement or post somewhere indicating this or is this purely conjecture on your part Bruce?

I guess you missed it here in the M3 announcement from @Kai

It seems we are back on track with monthly milestone releases and it is great to see the huge activity from so many contributors. Big thanks to everyone involved!

A question that comes up more frequently now is when to expect the final 2.5 release, so let me briefly comment on that. Due to the long-running build refactoring that was underway many months after the 2.4 release, we did not follow the bi-yearly release cycle anymore and preferred to first come back with regular milestone builds. We will most likely do 2 or 3 more of them, but definitely want to get 2.5 out of the door this year, likely around early December. No dates are set yet, but that’s roughly the timeline to expect. As some might have noticed already, the focus is currently to get the PR queue for new bindings done and merged - so if you are one of the contributors, who is waiting since a long time for a review, now is a good moment to ping us on your PR to get the well-deserved attention :slight_smile: .

Bruce… you realize you posted the same link I had in my post right?

Actually, not but you realize the “every month” was mentioned in your link?

Bruce, my question is not the timing of the next milestone release.
My question was…

Where did you get this information? That is what I’m asking.
Your link mentions the backlog of new binding getting reviewed, which has been the case since long before 2.5 or the reintegration. Is this the ‘issues’ of which you speak?

My assumption. I go not follow the discussions on GitHub.
I see no other reason for a delay in release based on my personal interactions with Kai…

We will do a M4 in the coming days - I just came back from holidays, so we are indeed a few days behind the monthly schedule.

Fwiw, we track important issues on https://github.com/orgs/openhab/projects/2. If there is anything that is a regression to a previous milestone, those are tried to be fixed before a new milestone, which can potentially cause a delay. The state of the current snapshot is discussed with all @maintainers to make sure we only do milestone builds at a moment, when we really consider it stable enough.

5 Likes