Openhab on Raspberry PI 5

Installed the ‘openhabian-64-latest-202311211558.img.xz’ image on Raspberry PI 5 and an external SSD-USB Drive.
Works like a charm right out of the box. Just restored the latest backup and Openhab is running verry fast and stable. Did not try WIFI though since I use the ethernet port.
Great work (again) Markus!

Hi there, sorry for the short offtopic question: i am still running openhab an my rpi 3b+ and thinking about updating to a new rpi. Do you have to actively cool the rpi 5 with openhabian running or is paasiv cooling fine? Raspberry pi is running in the living room next to to internet router, therefor active cooling would be a no go.

I have an active cooler on my RPI 5, but the CPU temperature is stable for days now and stays around 53 °C. The fan should start cooling at 55° so it hasn’t been active yet. I suppose you can buy one without the cooling, if it gets to hot you can always add one later (maybe even a passive cooler). However I did get an aluminum case and the environment it is in, is quite cool.

3 Likes

Can anybody please measure the idle power consumption of a Raspberry 5 with openhabian running. It would be interesting how it is compared to a Raspberry 4.

I have been trying out the recent updates/suggestions here in the last weeks, but never made it to “migrate” from my OH3 on a PI4 to OH 4 on a PI5.

Just today, I gave it another try, but ran into several issues. Likely, I am just doing something wrong though, that hoping for some advice:

• I was using “openhabian-64-latest-202311211558.img”
  • in the imager, I selected PI5, and the “use custom” option with this image
  • I also used the “edit settings” option to define hostname, credentials and WLAN, SSH etc.
  • then I imaged the card
  • after successful imaging, I checked the card content, and found that none of my settings made it to openhabian.conf
  • so I manually changed settings again
  • setup of OH runs without any errors.
  • however, none of my settings made it into the new OH instance - username is default, SSH not enabled etc. - only setting that worked is WLAN

so now I am slightly confused. In openhabian-config, I also see that several options are not working, e.g.:

• 02 upgrade system shows an error “Old openHAB version” “ATTENTION !”
  • 37 WiFi setup shows a “No WiFi hardware deteced” warning

for completeness: I tried the same also with the other 2 available images; same results.

I would really love to migrate to OH4 using a PI5, but am not sure if this already production ready?

I guess this is expected as openHABian is a custom image and you cannot override stuff with your pi imager.

ok, understand the imager part - that is then simply bad UX of the imager;

however, the settings that I then manually did in openhabian.conf should make it into the OH instance, right? as said, the only setting that was applied was the WLAN SSID and credentials. Everything else, e.g. the OH credentials or SSH settings, were not applied. any idea why that is the case?

You are trying to achieve two „updates“ (oh 3 to 4, bullseye to bookworm) at a time. Did you seperate your update steps accordingly?
You need to proceed as follows:

1. backup OH3 data (grafana, mosquitto and such sort of stuff needs to be backed up separately)
  2. update from OH3 to OH4 only.
  3. make sure that the additional update script (jar file, can‘t find it right now) has been executed and make sure OH is running ok.
  4. make backup of OH4 data
  5. setup bookworm image on your Pi5. Do NOT do an update from bullseye to bookworm. This is NOT recommended. If you use openhabian, you need to use the 1.9beta. But I am not 100 percent sure, if that image was built from scratch from a new bookworm image though)
  6. install OH4 and restore OH4 data.

So you installed openhabian 1.9beta (tagged as Pre-Release, too) on some brand new hardware and afterwards ask about production readyness right in the very thread that essentially is all about beta testing and stuff that does not work yet ?
Serious ?

I really don’t want to get into that sort of discussion, but had you seen my second last sentence “for completeness: I tried the same also with the other 2 available images; same results.”

by now, I am not even looking into migration of my existing setup (but, yes, I had already tested that some weeks back and it all seemed to be working)

currently, I am only trying to setup a brand new - vanilla - system, essentially your #5 and first part #6 (install OH4) only

I remember a post here where there were some problems with wifi and openhabian 1.9.
Bookworm uses network-manager now, instead of dhcpd and this might cause some problems. Try to do your first installation while connected to LAN.

thanks, but that is - not intended though - what I did. Or are you saying to connected via LAN ONLY during setup, and only later add WiFi?

That‘s what I meant

@mstormi can you update 1.9b to use influxdb from stable releases

when you put up a PR, yes

I commented in Bookworm readyness PR with log output :wink:

That’s no PR then :wink:

Hi,
first of all a huge “Thank you” for all your great work!

I set up my new Raspi 5 with the openhabian 1.9 beta Image (openhabian-64-latest-202311211558) with LAN connected, restored my Backup and there my system was running again.
What I am struggling with is:

• Wifi - I unluckily used Etcher and not the Raspi-Imager → I read in this thread that even though username and password are overwritten, that the Wifi config of the imager endures. Setting up Wifi with the openhabian-config does not work for me (error or interruption during execution of “30 System settings”) and the wpa-supplicant conf is not supported anymore - if I read correctly? How to set up Wifi now?

• Zwave with Razberry board - After changing the “branch” to latest (main) I can disable the serial console (menu 35 of openhabian config). If I also select “move Bluetooth to miniuart”, the select “*” does not stay selected, if I leave the menu and re-enter it or reboot, so it does not seem to work. Do I still need this with Raspi5? Anyway my Zwave-Controller is not recognized, so I am lacking those “Things” unfortunately.

I would appreciate help with those two problems if possible, thank you in advance.

Eckart

for wifi use raspberry imager, for me it worked