OpenHAB suddenly stopped and won't start

For some reason OH stopped working yesterday. I run OH on Debian Jessie, I have changed nothing for the past month, I have not even done a apt-get update. I run OH 1.8. I noticed the problem because I got a notification from my.openhab that OH was offline. When I try to start OH I get following error:

!SESSION Sun May 08 12:48:34 UTC 2016 ------------------------------------------ !ENTRY org.eclipse.equinox.launcher 4 0 2016-05-08 12:48:34.770 !MESSAGE Exception launching the Eclipse Platform: !STACK java.lang.InternalError: internal error: SHA-1 not available. at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.init(SecureRandom.java:108) at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRandom.java:79) at java.security.SecureRandom.getDefaultPRNG(SecureRandom.java:198) at java.security.SecureRandom.<init>(SecureRandom.java:162) at java.io.File$TempDirectory.<clinit>(File.java:1901) at java.io.File.createTempFile(File.java:2010) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.canWrite(Main.java:1305) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.checkConfigurationLocation(Main.java:698) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:575) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1438) at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1414) Caused by: java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: SHA MessageDigest not available at sun.security.jca.GetInstance.getInstance(GetInstance.java:159) at java.security.Security.getImpl(Security.java:695) at java.security.MessageDigest.getInstance(MessageDigest.java:167) at sun.security.provider.SecureRandom.init(SecureRandom.java:106) ... 10 more

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Mike

If you REALLY didn’t change anything, check your sd card, it may be worn out …

I don’t think it’s a problem with the SD card, Everything else works fine, I have mosquitto and node-red running, they both work fine and they too have not changed in over a month. In any case, what does the SD card have to do with the error I’m getting?

Mike

sd cards tend to worn out after a while, you’ll find many examples in this forum.
Try to copy (dd for example) the content to a new card and see what happens …

copy imaged my SD card to a new SD card and there is no change.

Did debian somehow update in the background? Looks like SHA-1 cryptography module for java isn’t available for whatever reason. Why that’d disappear on an otherwise functioning system I have no idea outside of an update going awry.

I cannot find any reference related to your error message, sorry …
I have had a worn out sd card twice in 18 months with weird error messages, so I thought it could help in your case too.

Have you got more than one Java installed? I would double check that you are running what you think you are running:

java -version