Openhab vs Openhab2

Hi all, I a new in Openhab, Should I begin with Openhab or Openhab2 ?.
And what the difference are there between Openhab and Openhab2. Please help me.
Thanks and Best Regrards

openHAB 2 is very nearly officially released and most activity on this forum centers around it, so without knowing more about your objectives, I would recommend it as a starting point. openHAB 1.8.3 is better understood overall, but I expect it will fade from use quickly after 2 is “official.” There are no more changes to the core of openHAB 1, so some issues won’t be fixed there, while development is active and ongoing against openHAB 2. There are many new features in openHAB 2 and is mostly easier to use for the novice.

3 Likes

Hello @Nguyen_Dang_Nhut_Tan,
I can only agree with the answer by @watou.

@watou would you add your answer to the FAQs? Thanks! Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

2 Likes

Done!

1 Like

@watou, Thank you so much. Now I am trying to write a demo project to get insight into Openhab and using Openhab 1.8.3. With your suggestion, I will upgrade to Openhab 2 in the nearest future.

1 Like

Something to be aware of is that some docs are OH2 and OH1 and its not always obvious one you get a bit of experience. (so be attentive).

For example if you see something referencing “things”, then you are in OH2. If you see something referencing items then its 1 or 2.

With OH2 you can avoid editing the text files for a short time and use only the GUI but you’ll be back in the text files quickly. Then you get confused as to which parts of your setup are configured in the GUI and which in the text files.

Good luck :slight_smile:

1 Like

Really?! Aweful…

Text files are what’s keeping me on 1.8.3 :slight_smile: Does 2.0 have auth yet, or does it still require a proxy to secure?

1 Like

I started with 2.0 and was a little confused so I moved to 1.8. Once I had a handle on 1.8 I went back to 2.0b5 and it made much more sense. I found more info about getting 1.8 working and was able to follow examples to get it up and running. That gave me experience with the config files and bindings. Once I found the 1.x to 2.0 migration page (http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/migration.html) I was able to get 2.0 working. I know that’s a convoluted path to 2.0, but starting with 1.8 forced me figure things out.

Just my $.02, your mileage may vary.

~Mark

1 Like