OpenHab Vs Other Home Automation Software

Hello every body,

I got a burglar visit one month ago.
fortunately the professional alarm triggered as soon as they entered in the house because they chose to break the small windows closest to the IR sensor.

I checked the possibility to add some additional sensor, camera but could not find correct solution at reasonable price.

Regarding the question of jamming detection, remember that all safety system are redundant but must be completely tested to validate the certificate that guaranty a higher safety level .

Maintenance and periodic test is part of this rules and creates additional maintenance cost ā€¦

Pierre

After fooling around with HA and reading, researching for over a year Im staying/going with OpenHab. Seems everyone has their weakness. But the fact that I can setup my own Cloud server, android app, stability, and now latest version seems to be a no brainer.

I will use this for all my automation and monitoring functions as well as security.

Personally I cant use any of the zwave, zigbee, etcā€¦ Im on a large acreage piece of dirt and those devices work 20 feet at best line of sight. My property is all latest wifi as I have several routers on poles. Ill be using Shellys for everything along with magnetic reed switches connected to Shellys.

Security: I think most people dont understand the purpose of security. Its not to prevent things such as robberies, theft, vandalism, etcā€¦ The purpose of security systems to create enough time for law enforcement to arrive and waste valuble time of the perpetrators.

Sure you can jam wireless, you can also bypass a reed switch with a foil chewing gum wrapper that is hardwired. I would choose a wireless setup with Shellys or Sonoffs over any hardwired or wirless alarm system anydayā€¦ This is the reasonā€¦ I can send ping commands to the Shellys/Sonoffs. If the wireless is jammed I will know about it. You cant send ping commands on any alarm systemā€¦ And hardwired once bypassed connecting two wires together bypasses the entire alarm making it think it still works. So arguments on security systems is pointless as anything can be breachedā€¦ I want to have granular control which openhab will give me. Also realize the if then statementsā€¦ If device a doesnt respond to server then trip pepper spray fog machine in buildingā€¦ Get my drift? Security is built in layers to waste timeā€¦

Lastly openhab is more matureā€¦ Better support and documentation. And stable. It just worksā€¦ Copy it to a pi, it works, windows machine, it works, it just worksā€¦ HA not so much or easy. But I had to dig for a year and compare. For the life of me I cant understand why these other open source platforms complain about an archaic UI? That it isnt very pretty? Nothing pretty works like a tank and simply works.

It seems to me if you want stability, simplicity and the ability to get granular and go down the rabbit hole you choose openhab. If you arent tech savvy and dont have any real demanding complex functions or programming then maybe HA?

1 Like

Correct but they form a mesh network if the devices are mains powered so you should be able to get coverage much farther than 20 feet. Iā€™m not saying that even with this that they would be suitable for you, but one of the main points of both is the mesh which allows the edge devices to be several hops away from the controller/coordinator and still work (4 hops for Zwave with a theoretical max range of 600 ft, YMMV).

Can you repeat that over and over again on the forum? :wink: (I joke of course.) There is no end to the complaints about the quality of the OH docs.

Thanks for posting the follow up!