OpenHAB web page completely unresponsive if using VPN

At the moment I am trying to assist someone in setting up a smart home system and I cannot always be there in person, this means I need to use a vpn to get access to their OpenHAB server/web-page, this seems to work until you change anything in the model, as soon as I delete an item for instance (through the web ui), the command is sent through to the server and the connection is entirely broken, by this I mean that I can still access the server through ssh, others can still access it through the web-page, but I cannot access it again unless I wait about 5-15 minutes, as you can imagine this makes working from a distance quite a hassle and I was hoping you guys might know a solution… Any help is appreciated!!

Additional info:
VPN used: OpenVPN
OpenHAB version: 4.1 stable
Does this issue persist when not using VPN (so when you are actually in the network): no
“Fixes” found so far:
disabling VPN, then disabling wifi, then starting both again seems to fix the issue
Other notes:
issue persists on different laptops, one of which is running win 10, the other win 11
the server appears to handle the load of deleting an item fine since htop shows mostly stable low usage
any item deletion seems to toggle the effect, even when not deleting through model

Does the browser console show anything at all? Some of updates are streamed from OH to browser, and in some cases combination of browser cache and missing item o server side can have side effects. Also, OH 4.1 as far I know introduced ETag support which inform browser what is time signature of a payload which comes within the answer, so browser can use its own cache instead of transfering the data.

Proxy: need NewItem app.e6719a8d0e1675221dee.js:7:730706
updateTrackingList: No connection id, not calling the API app.e6719a8d0e1675221dee.js:7:732894
Uncaught (in promise) 0 

these are the console logs I see, seems to be a promise not returning an expected value?
openHAB freezes as soon as the first two messages appear it seems, what I mean by freezing is just not recieving any data from openhab, so I still have a front end I can interact with in my cache but it just isn’t connected to the actual server.
update: I got 2 more uncaughts, appears to be the exact same message
update 2: it seems like I still have a connection to the server, it just isnt passing any lists of items over, so all I see is a loading screen for each item, the error also reappears when opening the item tab

This topic was automatically closed 41 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.