Openhab works slow, CPU of the RPI is high

good one :slight_smile:

You can use almost any HW and there’s many threads on the forum to discuss the pros and cons (search for e.g. ‘best hardware platform’).
A RPi obviously isn’t as fast as a PC but it is fine in terms of power even for large installations, and it’s damn cheap (also to keep a spare unit at hand) and in widespread use, so a very good choice.
Take care of a couple of things such as backup, though. While that’s important for any server, it’s even more so on Pis to avoid SD corruption issues.

1 Like

Are you using all Rules DSL Rules? Experimental Rules are stored somewhere else and my commands above do not work with those.

Markus’ joke has to do with the fact that I’m one of the more prolific posters on the forum so there are probably more copies of various parts of my setup on this forum than anyone else’s. Do you have any specific questions? Any one of us could write a book on their personal home automation setup.

I wouldn’t say that. I just had no idea that startups took so long on the RPi and am surprised I haven’t seen more complaints about it on the forum here. The RPi is probably the most common platform to host OH on. It is very well supported on this forum. I don’t use an RPi because I have about a dozen other services I host so it is easier for me to manage a bunch of VMs on a single desktop server than to manage a bunch of separate RPis.

As Markus indicated, OH will run on just about anything as powerful or more so as an RPi2B.

So I had a quick look at my system. I have a Raspberry Pi 3 Model B+. I have 82 things, 726 items, 47 rule file with 245 rules containing 9918 lines of code. I would expect that the number of rules is probably a bit inflated, because I sometimes turn a rule ‘off’ by adding X to the triggering item name. Similarly, I have lots of comment lines in my rule files. I use alternative 1 of this thread to clean up my start-up process Cleaning up the startup process / renaming rules (windows possible).

Anyway, the stats of my last boot were as follows:

2018-09-09 22:51:03.499 start openhab from a reboot of raspberry pi 3b+
2018-09-09 22:52:41.315 items and things loaded
2018-09-09 23:03:28.601 rules loaded

So in all that is a start-up time of roughly 12 minutes.

If DSL Rules means, that they are written in a text file with the ending .rules, I wrote all rules in DSL. I’m no friend of ‘programming graphical’. Hmm, now one day later, there are 15 rules without changing anything in the code. :thinking: But the setup works faster, than before with editing the code offline and update it all at once instead of every few minutes - thanks to @mstormi :wink:.
@rlkoshak, you recommend to reduce the lines of code. Does comments slow down OH, too ? I just read your topic to replace the Thread::sleep() phrase in rules and use createTimer() instead. Now, I replaced every delay the way you wrote, but no rule works anymore. Is there something specific they have to think about in OH2.2 ? Here’s a short cut of my rules. I did not write any ‘top-lines’ like in OH1… Is this right ?

rule "mood"
		when 
    			Item mood received command 
		then	
     			if(receivedCommand == ON)
				 		{
						white_scaled_3.postUpdate(23)
						white_scaled_a39.postUpdate(53)
						white_scaled_a7.postUpdate(100)
						white_scaled_6.postUpdate(100)
						a1_scaled.postUpdate(100)
      					Power_Plug_Socket_B12.sendCommand("ON")
    					createTimer(now.plusSeconds(1),  [ |
      							Power_Plug_Socket_B2.sendCommand("ON")
      									Power_Plug_Socket_B4.sendCommand("ON")
      											Power_Plug_Socket_B3.sendCommand("ON")
      													Power_Plug_Socket_B16.sendCommand("ON")
      															Power_Plug_Socket_B20.sendCommand("ON")
														])
												])
										])
								])
						])
      					mood.sendCommand("OFF")        
						} 
end

The delay is essential due to the transmitter of my wireless power sockets, which need some delay to separate different signals.

Not sure what exactly you mean, so to be clear:
you only need to copy those files that you edited from offline source, don’t touch the others (if you do they’ll get reparsed, too, no matter if you really change anything in the code):

Probably not. Comments don’t take much to recognize and skip over.

Please don’t make blanked massive changes to anything like that. Change one Thread::sleep to a Timer, then test that it still works. Then move on to the next one. When you make massive changes like that without testing then who knows how many errors you may have introduced or which of the dozens of changes you made is the cause.

I recommend Design Pattern: Gate Keeper to solve this particular problem. Not only is the code more generic it will handling the timing on commands to these devices form all of your Rules, not just from the one Rule.

Also, the nesting of the Timers is not necessary. You can create them all at once and greatly simplify the code. Probably the easiest thing to do is to put the plug Items into a Group, I’ll call it Plugs.

Plugs.members.forEach[ plug, index | createTimer(now.plusSeconds(index), [ | plug.sendCommand(ON) ] ]

All that messy code replaced with a one-liner. It loops through all the members of the Plugs Group and creates a Timer to go off index seconds in the future meaning the first Plug’s Timer goes off at zero seconds, the second one at one seconds, and so on.

To my knowledge noone has ever come up with a proper analysis so even no developer knows where to start looking so noone jumps in.
I used to open an issue on startup times related to ordering of processing of config files. That now was reworked and seems to be working at least most of the time, and most users to still be affected and aware of this are probably using the workaround I mentioned in my last post so it’s no longer an issue.

You gave a good hint on primitives, but changing code is the userland approach and I don’t think anyone ever raised a Github issue for this to tackle the root cause in the parser. Probably they are as unsure as are you and noone wants to disgrace himself by claiming this to be a bug. When I once did, Kai’s answer was basically “hey, it’s just XX microseconds on my Mac”.

Even with those two issues removed or worked around, I still wouldn’t say it’s optimized.
But it’s so difficult to pinpoint the root cause of “slow parsing”, particularly as we don’t have sufficient insight into the parser (I don’t know of any proper debug settings to get meaningful output, nor any profiling tool).

1 Like

FWIW, I just stumbled across this ancient post and tried. Can’t provide any testing results of statistical relevance but it indeed seems to have a positive effect.
Convinced me enough to make a PR for openHABian of it right away :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice find! If I could remember every posting I’ve read on this forum I could probably file 100 issues and PRs like this. :slight_smile:

I tried that limiting, but on my system the patch had some negative effect. I guess I am already past the 650mb limit. :sob:

I currently moved openHAB to my file server Core2Duo/4gb ram. openHAB uses 1.5gb and about 300 threads. So this explains somehow my sporadic lags in rule execution. Looks like it is time to move to another hardware platform…

Huh?
Note the patch above only increases the static memory footprint (process size). It’s up to the OS to select what of that memory to page out.
On startup that can result in some additional paging, but once you access a (compiled) rule that was paged out, it just needs to be paged back in, and that should be a lot faster than to recompile at that stage.
Note I am not using 650MB but just 400M on my 1GB Pi, that resulted in an increase to the static process size of ~130MB. Also, I’m swapping (paging) to my NAS as described here.

There’s a thread somewhere people telling how large their Java process is, it’s usually around 650 MB as is mine.
If you’re at 1.5G it sounds like you need to investigate your system. It shouldn’t use 1.5 G. Do you use any statically defined large objects in your rules ? I’m referring some MP3 files, and Java sort of seems to pre-load them. At least I had choppy audio on those and the patch made that go away.
Or any binding to do some strange caching or to keep large objects such as database indices ? If so, try to reduce those settings.
Is it really 1.5G of resident memory use or just the process size?
And you’re still having issues with 4G ?? That should be more than enough.

I understood the patch sets the min and max memory of the java process to 650mb, effectively making it fixed size. What i discovered when using the patch is a slow and unresponsive BasicUI (no icons etc.).

This is my output from htop, with the patch removed.

According to my interpretation, my installation of openHAB uses 1.3 MB of RAM. (And about 300 threads, because the number of threads goes down by about 300, if i stop openHAB)

The audio files in the /etc/sounds folder are about 7 MB, icons are about 2.5 MB.

Looking at my memory, i would guess i should use larger numbers, 1500 instead of 650, to make this patch work for me currently.

1.3 GB resident indeed.
Are you running on ARM ? Which Java ?
And how much RAM does it use when started on your RPi ?

Try 3000m or even 4000m for the max value as it affects static process size and you already seem to use that much.

No, Amd64, Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS, Core2Duo with 4 GB of Ram (Board Limit).
It’s Oracle

java version "1.8.0_181"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_181-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.181-b13, mixed mode)

I have to check that, i moved openHAB to the file server a few weeks ago, because of some extreme lagging of my motion sensors rule execution. Not nice if the light turns on 3 minutes after the motion is detected. :wink:

I think i should check, how to reduce the memory footprint. I have about 150 things and about 2000 items. Is it possible to check the used memory per binding somehow?

Now sorry to tell but you sort of made a mess of this thread.
It was about running on RPis, and the memsize recommendations were specific to that (i.e. a box to have an ARM processor architecture and 1GB of RAM, with Zulu Java, usually resulting in ~650 MB process size).

But now you state you run on some 64bit x86 and Oracle Java which is totally different as it’ll use 64bit and thus much more memory for the same Java code and openHAB config.
No wonder it broke your system when you applied that RPi specific memory optimization setting.

Do you mean to say that you still have problems even with that 4GB Intel machine ?
(btw, amd64 on Intel CPU does not sound right either).

Given your htop output of 3,8GB(!) Java uses, that HW/OS/Java combo possibly was a worse choice than a RP is as 3,8 out of 4 GB is a higher fraction than 650MB is of 1GB.

Either way, if you want to compare your figures to ours you should do this on the same processor+Java basis.
So start your config on your Pi again to see how much RAM it takes there.

Sorry, i will delete my posts if you prefer.

No worries. I’m not sure what’s up with his attitude, might be the language barrier. “German English” can sound kinda rude :yum:

3 Likes

Agreed with illnesse. Please leave your posts. But in the future when being helped to debug a problem, particularly one of this nature, you must tell those who are helping you EVERY modification you make, especially if you reinstall. Otherwise we are operating with incorrect information and assumptions.

Out of curiosity, you are not running in Docker, right? Because when running in Docker the amount of RAM returned is the total for the container, not just the OH process, which can be significantly higher.

Minimal OH installed on an RPi

Modest OH configuration running in Docker

A short summarize of my origin problem: I only make modifications ‘offline’ and only load up file by file to the rpi, so I can check after every upload if the changes work. The system works better as before with OH2.2, but it’s still not as fast as OH 2.1. I think, this is what we have to deal with.
The contra of this technique is: while programming offline, there’s no error-highlighting in VS-Code, I think. So, I really have to be careful while writing. Eclipse Smart Home Designer does not work on my Mac. Is there an other possibility to find out errors in syntax ?

The only syntax checking available is VSCode which requires a connection to a running OH or saving the file in the appropriate folder and watching openhab.log for errors.

However, you do not need to be editing the files on the RPi where OH is running to get syntax checking. You just need to have a network connection to a running OH server. So you can edit the files on another machine and move them over as desired.