Openhab2 2.5 doesn't start

Installed 2.5 on top of my 2.3 installation on my Pi 3
2.3 was manual and 2.5 was package install.

Managed to get the 2.5 up and running but only if I used open-cli start,
if I used systemctl start openhab2.service it would start the 2.3 instance and it would run fine.

I could run either version but to resolve this, and get 2.5 to start normally I deleted the older systemd openhab2.service file that was causing 2.3 to start

now when 2.5 starts, it crashes while starting.

here is the result of the systemctl status command

pi@raspberry:~ $ sudo /bin/systemctl status openhab2.service
● openhab2.service - openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home
Loaded: loaded (/usr/lib/systemd/system/openhab2.service; enabled)
Active: active (running) since Fri 2019-10-25 23:46:58 EDT; 829ms ago
Docs: https://www.openhab.org/docs/
https://community.openhab.org
Process: 19616 ExecStop=/usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf stop (code=exited, status=1/FAILURE)
Main PID: 19723 (karaf)
CGroup: /system.slice/openhab2.service
β”œβ”€19723 /bin/sh /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf daemon
β”œβ”€19805 /bin/sh /usr/share/openhab2/runtime/bin/karaf daemon
β”œβ”€19806 /usr/bin/java -version
β”œβ”€19807 awk -F " /version/ {print $2}
└─19808 sed -e s/_.//g; s/^1.//g; s/…//g; s/-.*//g;

Oct 25 23:46:58 raspberry systemd[1]: Started openHAB 2 - empowering the smart home.
pi@raspberry:~ $

Any thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Please be
More precise. 2.5 is not scheduled for release until the end of this year. What DID you install?

I believe the different installation modes put files in different places. Since you mixed installation types it may be best to backup the configuration, wipe, and clean install.

Thanks Bruce
Installed 2.5.0.M4

Yes, I finally realized the mixed installation put files in different places but,in spite of that, I had it working.

I’ve had no success with backup and restore from 2.3 into 2.5 but I’ll try backing up the 2.5 to help with moving my configuration into a clean 2.5 install on another machine.

I was hoping to diagnose the issue with 2.5 not starting by looking at logs, but maybe it’s better to concentrate on starting over.

1 Like