Openhab2 Nest binding - 2.2.0.SNAPSHOT An Updated 2.0 Binding that works!

@wborn,

I just checked in with the nest developer portal, and I see that google is migrating from works with nest (WWN) to works with google (WWG). To my eye this may introduce breaking changes for those of us that use the nest binding. At a minimum no new people will be able to link to WWN as of August 31, 2019.

It most definitely will introduce breaking changes as Google as announced that only “heavily vetted third party partners” will be allowed to use the WWG API. And they explicitly call out IFTTT as not being among those who will be allowed. Even Alexa support is in doubt. Given that major players like Amazon and IFTTT won’t work, what chance does openHAB have?

In short, Nest products will no longer work with openHAB or any other third party home automation hub. Adding a new link with WWN is already blocked according to reports on this forum and elsewhere.

Remember when google’s motto was “don’t be evil”
? Those were the days

Sorry, I didn’t see all of the discussion before I posted. Will link here for others:

Many thanks to EVERYONE! I installed 4 additional nest remote sensors which show up great in nest, but I haven’t had any success bringing the remote sensors into Openhab2. Can anyone tell me of a binding that will allow me to read them? Thank you in advance for your support :+1:

There is no binding that supports remote sensors. Google Nest never exposed an API that gives access to them.

Note that the Nest binding will stop working probably by the end of the year. Google is closing down their Works with Nest API which this binding relies upon. They are “replacing” it with a Works with Google API, but they will only allow a select few “heavily vetted third parties” access to that API. OH will not qualify. They were originally going to shut it down Oct. 1. They have given an extension but have not announced how long they will keep the API running.

There lots of people looking into alternatives likes screen scraping and the like, but I wouldn’t expect it to be usable before Google shuts down the API.

1 Like

Thank you @rlkoshak ! Google said that all the world has carpets. One day Google will clean them all. They do make other t-stats that Google will never own yet can still be integrated to OH2. I am going to pitch my nest. I am actually not that thrilled with Nest anyway. Yes I can replace my Nest but I will never get rid of my OH2 (unless Google buy’s that too)!!! :upside_down_face: