I was very excited to find that there is an updated binding for the nest thermostat that follows the 2.0 model. The binding is found in the current openHAB 2.2.0~20171008013406-1 (Build #1058) unstable snapshot.
I have four Nest Thermostats, 6 protects, and 2 Nest Cams. I have struggled with the 1.0 binding for months, and had finally given up on these devices. I had invested many long hours puzzling over conflicting posts and instructions, rebuilt my openhab system multiple times, and recreated my nest product dozens of times with no success.
I started with openhab after the release of 2.0, so had no experience with the 1.0 bindings. I spent hours looking at logs but mostly never saw connects happen.
I had followed the discussion on GITHUB and it appeared midsummer that this project was dead after the developer received some serious flame. Thanks to PINKFISH for completing their efforts to create a functioning binding.
The move to the unstable snapshot was rocky, as always, breaking the web server, samba, and zwave functionality. Several hours of troubleshooting fixed these. I was gun shy and almost stopped there, but decided to give the Nest configuration a try. I created a “THING” for the Nest account, populated it with my Product ID, Secret, and one time pin from the nest authentication link and almost fell out of my chair, as all my nest devices appeared in the inbox.
The devices associate to channels as expected, and the countless hours of frustration are behind me.
Thanks to the developer and team that helped to remove this massive thorn from my Openhab2.