openHAB2 snapshot on Raspberry

Hi,

I have played around with openHAB2 on Windows for a while but I have a RPi2 to be used and I would like to take the step.

How can I install the latest deb snapshot as here: https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB-Distribution/ ?
How can I then upgrade without loosing configuration?

See

http://docs.openhab.org/tutorials/demo.html

Dropping a new updated snapshot on top of your existing OH 2 install should not overwrite your configuration, unless you have edited a core file like start scripts or the like.

Thanks @rlkoshak , yes I doing that on Windows. But I thought the deb-file had other things such as creating service.
Isn’t that the case?

If you want the nightly snapshots you have to do a manual install. The apt-get install only has the last release which was Beta 3 from about two months ago.

If you do an apt-get install, it will probably set up the user and permissions and set it up to run as a service for you. But updating will not impact any of your configs unless you do something to customize things that are not part of the standard configs like the start scripts and such.

Hi,

In case you do wish to go down the manual install path to get the latest snapshots, I’d suggest creating a backup of your Windows OpenHAB install directory (especially openhab/conf) and looking at makeHAB to move across to Raspbian in a RPi2:

I have my own local version as the snapshot links change occasionally,
and prefer to retain $HAB/runtime/sounds between snapshot updates.

I also hacked makeHAB into a RPi2 install script starting with vanilla Raspbian, but beyond creating an openhab user and /opt/openhab, most of the other steps are working around RPi2 serial port issues that you probably don’t need to worry about if you’ve been using devices with Windows.

FYI There are also two apt repos hosting snapshot - not nightly - builds.

1 Like

@theo

Thanks for the information on how to update to the latest snapshoot using atp-get

I changed as, you said, my atp sources list with the following ulr.

deb https://openhab.ci.cloudbees.com/job/openHAB-Distribution/ws/distributions/openhab-offline/target/apt-repo/ /

And when running sudo atp-get update I can see how some files are downloaded from cloudbees.

Now my question is. How can I know if the latest snapshot has been correctly installed? Is there any command in Karaf to know the installed distribution?
I am asking this because I don’t see solved some issues that should be in the latest snapshot so i believe I am doing something wrong.

Thanks

@Jaghova check this topic:

Should be possible to see it snapshot versions being installed by using Karaf console and “list” command; such as this when using Beta 3. In case of snapshot I guess you would see something like 2.0.0.< such as:
2.0.0.201607140102 instead of 2.0.0.b3

161 | Active   |  90 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Core
162 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Karaf Integration
168 | Active   |  80 | 1.1.1.201605111122    | Swagger Provider
169 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.5                 | Jackson-annotations
170 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.5                 | Jackson-core
171 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.5                 | jackson-databind
172 | Active   |  80 | 2.4.5                 | Jackson-dataformat-YAML
173 | Active   |  80 | 1.5.8                 | swagger-core
174 | Active   |  80 | 1.5.8                 | swagger-jaxrs
175 | Active   |  80 | 1.5.8                 | swagger-models
176 | Active   |  80 | 3.5.0                 | JmDNS
177 | Active   |  80 | 3.4.0                 | Apache Commons Lang
178 | Active   |  80 | 0.8.0.b5              | Eclipse SmartHome Bonjour/MDS Service Discovery Bundle
179 | Active   |  80 | 0.8.0.b5              | Eclipse SmartHome Basic UI, Fragments: 183
180 | Active   |  80 | 0.8.0.b5              | Eclipse SmartHome WebApp UI
181 | Active   |  80 | 0.8.0.b5              | Eclipse SmartHome Paper UI, Fragments: 187
182 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB REST Documentation
183 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Basic UI Fragment, Hosts: 179
184 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Classic UI Fragment
185 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Dashboard UI
186 | Active   |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Classic Iconset
187 | Resolved |  80 | 2.0.0.b3              | openHAB Paper UI Theme Fragment, Hosts: 181